• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I've got a wedding to go to this Saturday evening(7:00 pm). It's being held at my friend's home(in the backyard) in the small town we grew up in. The suggested attire is "business casual."

What would you suggest I wear?

I would like to avoid khakis if possible. I was thinking that maybe I could wear my (very) dark blue jeans with dark stitching(matches the fabric color) that does not "stand out," along with my black Miu Miu loafers, a light blue dress shirt(open-necked, without tie), a 3-button single-breasted black Ferragamo sportcoat and perhaps a black single-breasted vest which matches the sportcoat. Thoughts on this combo?

One note: this black sportcoat is my only sportcoat.

jerseyguy

Reaction score
I would not pair a black sportcoat with dark blue jeans. It looks a little off. Perhaps another color of jeans or slacks (white maybe)?

jerseyguy

Reaction score
Charcoal would work, preferably a lighter charcoal, but I would advise against the vest if you want to keep it casual.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Should I forget about the vest, or should I dump the sportcoat and wear the vest? I won't be wearing a tie.

jerseyguy

Reaction score
I'm not sure what the guests will be like, but I would think a vest alone would be a little out of place in rural Illionois.

If I were you and had only the black coat, this is what I would do:

Black Sportcoat
White or Pale Pink Dress shirt (for some reason I don't like the look of light blue with black either, but I have seen it worn like that)

and either wool slacks (tan or a light gray) or, if you want to avoid khakis, a pair of fine wale corduroys. Now that I think about it, Jeans, now matter how dark, are inappropriate for a normal evening wedding.

If you are more comfortable you could certainly wear the vest, but it depends which piece has the better fit, is more appropriate, and is most practical. I like the sportcoat because it is dressed up, but cool and easily worn unbuttoned or removed for dancing, etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads