1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by banksmiranda, Aug 13, 2004.

1. banksmiranda

banksmiranda Senior member

I've got a wedding to go to this Saturday evening(7:00 pm). It's being held at my friend's home(in the backyard) in the small town we grew up in. The suggested attire is "business casual."

What would you suggest I wear?

I would like to avoid khakis if possible. I was thinking that maybe I could wear my (very) dark blue jeans with dark stitching(matches the fabric color) that does not "stand out," along with my black Miu Miu loafers, a light blue dress shirt(open-necked, without tie), a 3-button single-breasted black Ferragamo sportcoat and perhaps a black single-breasted vest which matches the sportcoat. Thoughts on this combo?

One note: this black sportcoat is my only sportcoat.

2. jerseyguy

jerseyguy Well-Known Member

I would not pair a black sportcoat with dark blue jeans. It looks a little off. Perhaps another color of jeans or slacks (white maybe)?

3. banksmiranda

Would charcoal grey pants work?

4. jerseyguy

Charcoal would work, preferably a lighter charcoal, but I would advise against the vest if you want to keep it casual.

5. banksmiranda

Should I forget about the vest, or should I dump the sportcoat and wear the vest? I won't be wearing a tie.

6. jerseyguy

Where, geographically, is the wedding?

7. banksmiranda

Rural Illinois - northwest part of the state.

8. jerseyguy

I'm not sure what the guests will be like, but I would think a vest alone would be a little out of place in rural Illionois.

If I were you and had only the black coat, this is what I would do:

Black Sportcoat
    White or Pale Pink Dress shirt (for some reason I don't like the look of light blue with black either, but I have seen it worn like that)

and either wool slacks (tan or a light gray) or, if you want to avoid khakis, a pair of fine wale corduroys. Now that I think about it, Jeans, now matter how dark, are inappropriate for a normal evening wedding.

If you are more comfortable you could certainly wear the vest, but it depends which piece has the better fit, is more appropriate, and is most practical. I like the sportcoat because it is dressed up, but cool and easily worn unbuttoned or removed for dancing, etc.

9. banksmiranda

Thanks for the tips - I'll have to dig up some pants.