• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Tuxedo needed, please advice

Opethian

Reaction score
Hello again SF
I decided to tie the knot before I lose the rest of my hair! (more than half is gone already!)
Wedding planned for April 10th..however, I can't seem to find a proper tuxedo anywhere.
Its planned in a nice hotel garden and I am thinking classic elegant style.. My bride bought a very nice classic dress.
It's hot here so anything heavy won't really work.
I am open to all kinds of suggestions in all possible colors, while I am more inclined towards classic colors of full black or white jacket and black trousers.
I am going to be wearing a nice shiny patent leather shoes as well.
Budget is around the $1k mark, lower is welcome and encouraged.
Second hand in pristine condition is also accepted.
My size is usually European 52.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

lexxdeleon

Reaction score
Hello again SF
I decided to tie the knot before I lose the rest of my hair! (more than half is gone already!)
Wedding planned for April 10th..however, I can't seem to find a proper tuxedo anywhere.
Its planned in a nice hotel garden and I am thinking classic elegant style.. My bride bought a very nice classic dress.
It's hot here so anything heavy won't really work.
I am open to all kinds of suggestions in all possible colors, while I am more inclined towards classic colors of full black or white jacket and black trousers.
I am going to be wearing a nice shiny patent leather shoes as well.
Budget is around the $1k mark, lower is welcome and encouraged.
Second hand in pristine condition is also accepted.
My size is usually European 52.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen.

Disclaimer: I use to work for Suitsupply.

For your budget, I believe Susu's tuxedo package at $799 USD is one of the best deals around. You can choose from a few classic styles and the package includes a tuxedo shirt with studs, bow tie and made in Italy blake stitched shoes.

Outside of their package offerings, I really liked the Washington shawl lapel super 150's - IIRC, it's half lined and quite breathable if that's a concern.

Also, a somewhat new option from them is their custom made program starting at $699 USD, also worth taking a look at.

Opethian

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I use to work for Suitsupply.

For your budget, I believe Susu's tuxedo package at $799 USD is one of the best deals around. You can choose from a few classic styles and the package includes a tuxedo shirt with studs, bow tie and made in Italy blake stitched shoes.

Outside of their package offerings, I really liked the Washington shawl lapel super 150's - IIRC, it's half lined and quite breathable if that's a concern.

Also, a somewhat new option from them is their custom made program starting at $699 USD, also worth taking a look at.

thank you for the help, some interesting choices there.. cheers

Opethian

Reaction score
I found this on eBay, it looks lightweight enough and this size is just right. However, I have never seen an unstructured tuxedo and the lining color is intriguing to say the least.
Any info on this if you please? Advice?

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found this on eBay, it looks lightweight enough and this size is just right. However, I have never seen an unstructured tuxedo and the lining color is intriguing to say the least.
The camo lining is...odd, but this looks like a nice tux! (Andrea Campagna I believe makes for Mashburn). Peak lapel, single button, jetted pockets. The half-lining doesn't necessarily mean it's unstructured. It looks like it still has structure in the shoulders to prevent it from looking too relaxed.

CORRECTION: didn't notice earlier that it appears to have a plaid pattern and is possibly all silk? Pass.

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SuitSupply, Ehaberdasher, Spier and Mackay, and Charles Tyrwhitt all have good quality, classic RTW tuxedos in an affordable price range. You're probably too close to the deadline to risk a delay with MTM

My personal suggestion is to stay pretty close to the standards - black, midnight blue, or a cream dinner jacket. that way you can use it for any other black tie events that may pop up.

Also to confirm, your garden hotel wedding is during the night correct? If it is during the day I'd advise against a tux

Opethian

Reaction score
The camo lining is...odd, but this looks like a nice tux! (Andrea Campagna I believe makes for Mashburn). Peak lapel, single button, jetted pockets. The half-lining doesn't necessarily mean it's unstructured. It looks like it still has structure in the shoulders to prevent it from looking too relaxed.

CORRECTION: didn't notice earlier that it appears to have a plaid pattern and is possibly all silk? Pass.
I thought the same! Thanks
SuitSupply, Ehaberdasher, Spier and Mackay, and Charles Tyrwhitt all have good quality, classic RTW tuxedos in an affordable price range. You're probably too close to the deadline to risk a delay with MTM

My personal suggestion is to stay pretty close to the standards - black, midnight blue, or a cream dinner jacket. that way you can use it for any other black tie events that may pop up.

Also to confirm, your garden hotel wedding is during the night correct? If it is during the day I'd advise against a tux
Well, it is planned from just before sunset and into the night! Sunset here is usually nice and the lady decided to go for a nice classic mermaid style dress so I need to match the class!

I will check all those suppliers you mentioned ASAP!

Opethian

Reaction score

May I ask you what you recommend if not a tuxedo?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask you what you recommend if not a tuxedo?

I mean it depends on the vibe you guys are going for, some other classic recommendations in the ~1K range are a navy blue or mid-grey suit (there are other similar options in lower priced tiers at SuitSupply as well), white or light blue shirt with a spread collar, and a wedding tie or a grenadine tie

Opethian

Reaction score
I mean it depends on the vibe you guys are going for, some other classic recommendations in the ~1K range are a navy blue or mid-grey suit (there are other similar options in lower priced tiers at SuitSupply as well), white shirt, and a wedding tie or a grenadine tie
I understand the idea here, problem really is that myself and most of the guests wear these suits everyday to work, so everybody is hoping for a more elegant feel to the whole event! We are looking for live Jazz as well.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the idea here, problem really is that myself and most of the guests wear these suits everyday to work, so everybody is hoping for a more elegant feel to the whole event! We are looking for live Jazz as well.

Its your day, do it up if you want to do evening wear! Some other ideas to jazz up standard suits is to do a single breasted or double breasted peak lapel suit, still within bounds to be able to wear it to other social events

Last edited:

Opethian

Reaction score
Its you're day, do it up if you want to do evening wear! Some other ideas to jazz up standard suits is to do a single breasted or double breasted peak lapel suit, still within bounds to be able to wear it to other social events
Well worth looking into! Thanks for the idea

lexxdeleon

Reaction score

For a special day like your wedding, I'd recommend buying something in person or that is at least returnable. You just never really know how a suit will fit until you've tried it on.

Opethian

Reaction score
For a special day like your wedding, I'd recommend buying something in person or that is at least returnable. You just never really know how a suit will fit until you've tried it on.
I definitely agree, however, the market here is very expensive with very limited options, I have usually bought suits off the internet depending on measurements which usually works, my body is a standard 42S size, minor alterations can be easily done here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads