• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Tuxedo for this December

Dune5

Reaction score
Hey Gents,

Firstly, I hope all is well with each of you. It's been a hell of a year already...

Secondly, I'm getting married! Our date is December 4th of this year, which I know will be here before we all know it. Fiscally, I'm extremely irresponsible - grew up being very into fashion (worked at Nordstrom when I was 15 y/o until I was in my mid 20s during school summers), but traded in my suits for jock-attire when I got to college. Anyway, my fiancee and I are going black-tie, and I want a damn tuxedo.

As a tall, slim, athletic dude, I'm drawn to Saint Laurent (and there happens to be a SL store here in Portland, which is rare. The city, despite all the transplants these past 10 or so years, isn't exactly bougie when it comes to fashion, so that's a nice bonus being able to go there and try things on, ship stuff there and have them tailor for free, etc. I'm also interested in Tom Ford tuxedos...well-aware they're expensive due to the name attached, but the quality seems to be there, too. I'm only planning on getting married once, so I'm not necessarily deal-hunting here.

I'll hopefully end up attaching plenty of photos to this thread, but for now some stats to help with suggestions from all you gurus!

Height: 6'3
Weight: Fluctuate between 175 - 185lbs
Suit size: Normally wear a 38 or 40R
Waist size: 31

Looking for suggestions for a real slim, badass tuxedo that I will be proud to wear (and look at in photos) as well as tuxedo shirt, suspenders, bowtie and probably cummerbund. Open to everything at this point, but have been heavily researching what people on this site think of YSL and Tom Ford...

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I first started reading your post Tom Ford came to mind. Funny that you would mention that at the end of your post.

I think in terms of classic styling, Tom Ford wins hands down. Not trendy, but classic. At the price point you’re considering, an excellent option.

Congrats.

notdos

Reaction score
Just my .02.
I’d look at SuitSupply. Definitely stylish, and very affordable. As a newlywed, you’ll find a ton of other areas to spend the diff in $$$.

Dune5

Reaction score
Appreciate you both!

@Phileas Fogg I just wish there was someway I could try it on before ordering...but I guess that's why we have returns. It looks like the O'Connor Tux is the only one on the website right now, and I can't tell if it's more slim fit or a bit more classic. After some google searching, it seems TF's O'Connor line is somewhere in the middle. I'm afraid of large lapels, but maybe I need to dive in!

@notdos Will do! I have to admit, the tuxedos look great in the website's photos, and it's no doubt a more practical choice. The idiot, fiscal-cliff romantic in me always wanted to own a designer tuxedo, though!

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barring massive weight gain, a tuxedo is forever. And while it’s wise to avoid fashion trends in all clothing—better to buy classic clothes that will look good for years—it’s especially important in a garment that you’ll pull out of your closet once or twice a year for decades.

That means a hard no to the super slim look with skinny lapels—men won’t be dressing like Peewee Herman in five years, guaranteed, and you’ll look as dated as…Peewee Herman. Moreover, a tight tux could be harder to let out when you inevitably put on a few pounds down the road.

Whatever brand tuxedo you buy, go for a classic look.

Parmesan

Reaction score
in my opinion - the pricing of a tuxedo from a high-fashion brand rarely reflects the quality or craftsmanship of the piece you buy compared with other brands in the same pricerange. I would look at made-to-measure options, this way you can customize the tuxedo as you wish.
I would recommend a more classic tuxedo which will stand the test of time, regardless of what is the trend at the moment.
Shawl or peak lapels - not too wide, but not too slim either. Single/double breasted as you prefer.
There are many stores which offer made-to-measure/customization services, just have a look around.
Suitsupply, spier & mckay are just 2 of the ones I know. I'm not familiar with what brands are available in your area, but in my region the Made-to-measure service by suitsupply has a free return policy if I'm not mistaken, which is quite rare.
Best regards

Dune5

Reaction score
Barring massive weight gain, a tuxedo is forever. And while it’s wise to avoid fashion trends in all clothing—better to buy classic clothes that will look good for years—it’s especially important in a garment that you’ll pull out of your closet once or twice a year for decades.

That means a hard no to the super slim look with skinny lapels—men won’t be dressing like Peewee Herman in five years, guaranteed, and you’ll look as dated as…Peewee Herman. Moreover, a tight tux could be harder to let out when you inevitably put on a few pounds down the road.

Whatever brand tuxedo you buy, go for a classic look.

Very good points to consider. As a slimmer guy, I've always enjoyed the slim-fitted shirts and suits...but maybe this isn't the time for that. The last thing I want to is (hopefully) look back at my wedding photos a decade from now and think to myself, "why the hell did I wear that?" Maybe my local YSL store isn't the way to go...

Dune5

Reaction score
in my opinion - the pricing of a tuxedo from a high-fashion brand rarely reflects the quality or craftsmanship of the piece you buy compared with other brands in the same pricerange. I would look at made-to-measure options, this way you can customize the tuxedo as you wish.
I would recommend a more classic tuxedo which will stand the test of time, regardless of what is the trend at the moment.
Shawl or peak lapels - not too wide, but not too slim either. Single/double breasted as you prefer.
There are many stores which offer made-to-measure/customization services, just have a look around.
Suitsupply, spier & mckay are just 2 of the ones I know. I'm not familiar with what brands are available in your area, but in my region the Made-to-measure service by suitsupply has a free return policy if I'm not mistaken, which is quite rare.
Best regards

Before I decided to make this post, I searched the forums and ran across a lot of people who've suggested Spier & McKay! I'd never heard of them before, though I'm a bit out of the game these days as I work for an athletic and outdoor apparel company...will research them with interest!

I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason - despite the great looks and prices - I just don't want to go for SS. I think it's the young idiot in me that wants to have a designer suit.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good points to consider. As a slimmer guy, I've always enjoyed the slim-fitted shirts and suits...but maybe this isn't the time for that. The last thing I want to is (hopefully) look back at my wedding photos a decade from now and think to myself, "why the hell did I wear that?" Maybe my local YSL store isn't the way to go...
I don’t mean to suggest you should look like Trump in his baggy clown suits. Indeed a close cut is desirable in my opinion and is arguably classic in an Italian way. I would just be careful about swinging too far into skinny-suit territory that will certainly become dated.

LessIsMore233

Reaction score
I think u must find a fortune teller, ask him/her if by then whether u can still held up ur wedding

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
Before I decided to make this post, I searched the forums and ran across a lot of people who've suggested Spier & McKay! I'd never heard of them before, though I'm a bit out of the game these days as I work for an athletic and outdoor apparel company...will research them with interest!

I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason - despite the great looks and prices - I just don't want to go for SS. I think it's the young idiot in me that wants to have a designer suit.

Sometimes you just want to spoil yourself! It's your wedding, after all, it's one of the times where you shouldn't feel that you made the most economical choice - the entire thing is an indulgence! If you're ever going to give in to your young idiot self, it's now.

That said, like many people have suggested, "designer" doesn't usually mean "good quality" when it comes to suits, and the design of the suits is often VERY contemporary - it doesn't always age well. You'll hopefully be wearing this tux for many years, so consider how it will age. And how YOU will age. The ultra-slim cut that makes you look stunning at 175lbs might start to show some strain at 185lbs. And while I wouldn't presume to tell you how your life will develop, I found that most of my friends who get married find it hard to maintain their level of fitness - partly because things like "house" and "kids" take priority to "working out", and partly because your metabolism changes as you age. Staying ripped gets harder, putting on muscle may actually get easier: many athletic men who are slender middleweights at 25 find themselves buff light heavyweights at 35 because your body responds differently to training. None of these things are guaranteed, of course, but you may want to consider them.

Finally, if you're looking to spend Tom Ford or YSL money, you might want to consider bespoke or MTM from a Saville row tailor (at least a few of them have now developed decent online measurement consultations). If you do want luxury, a tailor made suit from Saville Row is the gold standard.

Dune5

Reaction score
Sometimes you just want to spoil yourself! It's your wedding, after all, it's one of the times where you shouldn't feel that you made the most economical choice - the entire thing is an indulgence! If you're ever going to give in to your young idiot self, it's now.

Finally, if you're looking to spend Tom Ford or YSL money, you might want to consider bespoke or MTM from a Saville row tailor (at least a few of them have now developed decent online measurement consultations). If you do want luxury, a tailor made suit from Saville Row is the gold standard.

Love it - that's where my head is at, I suppose! Thank you for the affirmation.

Any recommendations when it comes to Saville Row? I just assumed that whole world was off-limits unless one could fly to London for a week.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it - that's where my head is at, I suppose! Thank you for the affirmation.

Any recommendations when it comes to Saville Row? I just assumed that whole world was off-limits unless one could fly to London for a week.

most SR tailors kept a European and North American travel schedule but I don’t know what things are like now with Covid.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads