• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Tux Advice

dandannoodle

Reaction score
I'm getting married in less than 2 months and I need a tux. I'm looking to spend around $1000 all-in with shoes, shirt, and bow-tie. I'm lucky in that suits often fit me quite well off the rack, so they don't usually need a lot of tailoring done. Hopefully that means if I get an off-the-rack tux, it'll be ok.

I did go to Bloomingdale's today and bought a Ted Baker (the Endurance shawl collar in black).It ended up being under $900. I didn't get it tailored yet so I can return it if I change my mind.

Should I stick with the Ted Baker? Is there something else I should look at? Thanks!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy TB merchandise but if it fits keep it. Better still forget evening dress for a day time wedding and buy a decent lounge suit or hire morning dress.

This obsession with evening dress for a wedding never ceases to amaze me when appropriate formal dress is available.

dandannoodle

Reaction score
Thanks both! It's an evening wedding, so black tie is appropriate. If I end up going a little over $1000 total, I'm ok with that. I'd rather have a nice tux that I can wear a few more times afterwards.

Here's a photo of me trying it on (with horrible shoes, bad bow tie, and a shirt that isn't actually for tuxes):
TedBaker_Tux.jpg

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks both! It's an evening wedding, so black tie is appropriate. If I end up going a little over $1000 total, I'm ok with that. I'd rather have a nice tux that I can wear a few more times afterwards.

Here's a photo of me trying it on (with horrible shoes, bad bow tie, and a shirt that isn't actually for tuxes): View attachment 843769

Send it back; the coat is woefully short too short and simply looks terrible. That's just to start with. Second come the sleeves..... Your right arm appears much longer than your left which again is dreadful.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!

I agree with GBR that the jacket is too short. Honestly, well-tailored J Crew with nice accessories would look a helluva lot better than that Ted Baker.

OP, are you looking for a fashiony-look or something more classic? Ted Baker is definitely the former. If the latter, Brooks Brothers on sale would fit your budget--regular price for the mid-level (shawl or peak lapel) tuxes is $1200 or so. Here's another option, from a seller well known to folks on SF:

http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/benjamin-sartorial-tuxedo-teatro.html

You might also try Kent Wang's website.

Last edited:

dandannoodle

Reaction score
Thank you both!

I would prefer to lean a little to fashiony than classic. If it helps, I also tried on an Armani and Zegna at Bloomingdales and neither worked.

I live in New York so I guess I could go to Kent Wang, too. Anywhere else I should try with a good chance for an off-the-rack tux? I don't know that I'd want J. Crew or Brooks Brothers.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kent Wang's clothes are very nice for the price. He's a long time presence on SF.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you both!

I would prefer to lean a little to fashiony than classic. If it helps, I also tried on an Armani and Zegna at Bloomingdales and neither worked.

I live in New York so I guess I could go to Kent Wang, too. Anywhere else I should try with a good chance for an off-the-rack tux? I don't know that I'd want J. Crew or Brooks Brothers.
Why? They couldnt be worse than that Ted Baker. Your entire premise is bad and when people have given you advice you've told them why they're wrong. Do you just want us to tell you that picture looks good? It doesnt, its terrible.

For $1,000, a dinner suit, shoes, shirt, bow tie and cummerbund (which I'm sure you wouldnt wear anyway) and studs means you are going to have to compromise on EVERYTHING. If you dont want classic, dont wear a tuxedo. If you wear a fashiony tux you'll look like an idiot. And the best part is that in 5 years, you'll think you looked like an idiot too.

If you really want to make this work for $1,000, go to Suit Supply and get this:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/even...tuxedo/P1199I-S.html?cgid=Eveningwear_Package

If the salesperson tells you that you wear a 38r, you are probably a 42 long. Do NOT get the tux too tight, it will look atrocious. Then, hopefully you already have a pair of black cap toe shoes. If you dont, get these:

http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=8830S&DIM=D&SIZE=100

or

http://shoebank.com/FactorySecondInventory.php?STY=5015S&DIM=D&SIZE=100

Then get this shirt:

http://www.ctshirts.com/us/slim-fit...ing-shirts#cgid=shirts-evening-shirts&start=1

Then get a black bow tie and cummerbund like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GNFZY52/ref=twister_B00GNDCST4?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

This is not rocket science. If you do the above and dont try to put your personal spin on things, you will look great. I promise. You will not regret this 10 years from now. If you dont follow this advice, you are probably going to screw things up as you evidenced in the picture you posted. Your call, please post pictures either way so we can judge you. Good luck :)

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, bdavro23 is giving you incredibly good advice. You don't have buy the most traditional tux, but don't stray too far.

dandannoodle

Reaction score
Harsh, but the sincerity and advice is welcome. :) Thank you again for taking the time to help me out!

dandannoodle

Reaction score
Thanks again all - going to see Aaron at Kent Wang this evening. From what I've read, you all seem to trust newbies like myself in the hands of Aaron much more than with the SuitSupply sales staff. By "fashiony" I mostly meant a little more fitted than the Armani was, and perhaps shawl lapel rather than peak. Not going for this:
sandaltux.jpg

BDavro - in case you were worried, your admonition has convinced me not even to think about not wearing a cummerbund or waistcoat.

If you have any more suggestions to keep in mind for my visit, they are, again, most welcome.

dandannoodle

Reaction score
So I went to Aaron of Kent Wang on Monday and had a great visit! He took a lot of measurements and sent me a bunch of options (at bottom). Main questions I hope you all can help me out with (directness always welcome):

1. Vest/Cummerbund: I definitely prefer a shawl collar, and I've read it's generally more accepted to wear a cummerbund with shawl, and a vest with peak. Thoughts on this? Is it acceptable to wear a vest with a shawl collar?

2. Vest: If it is acceptable to get a vest and if I do, Aaron had it listed with 5 buttons, but I've also read that normally it should have no more than 3. Should I request the vest to be shorter at the stomach and with only 3 buttons?

3. Shawl lapel width: Aaron put it at the standard 3.5", but as much as you all hated the OTR tux, I liked the narrower lapel. The one on the Kent Wang website looks a little wide to my taste. What are the limits of acceptable lapel width? I couldn't find much online in terms of specific widths except on Black Lapel, which listed only for their notch and peak lapels as 2.75" for the slim.

4. Shawl lapel facing: I'm not crazy about super shiny bowties, but I know they're supposed to match the lapel facing. I asked for grosgrain, but on doing more reading, I see satin is more common on shawl lapels. Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated - thank you!

DESIGN OPTIONS
Front: 1 button, shawl lapel
Gorge height: Standard
Structure: Standard full canvas
Lining: Full
Lining fabric:
TR220 mid gray bemberg
Piping: TR146 deep purple
Lapel size: Standard 3.5"
Lapel facing: Grosgrain black
Shoulder: Standard
Side pockets: Jetted, straight
Ticket pocket: No
Flap size: No flap
Chest pocket: Welted
Vents: No
Sleeve buttons: 4
Sleeve buttons overlap: No (kissing)
Cuff finishing: Working buttonholes
Throat tab: No
Phone pocket: No
Pick stitching: Limited
Buttons: Grosgrain black
Elbow patches: No
Monogram: No
Monogram text: (initials)

Trousers front: Flat
Pleat direction: No pleats
Pleat depth: No pleats
Fly: Zipper
Waistband: Side adjusters
Satin stripe: Yes ($20)
Suspender buttons: Yes
Buckle loop: No
Pocket fabric: Black
Trousers side pockets: Jetted
Rear pockets: Button
Trousers lining: To the knee
Cuff: Unfinished
Trousers pick stitching: Limited

Vest front: No lapel, 5 button
Vest side pockets: Welted
Vest chest pockets: No
Vest back: Lining
Vest pick stitching: No

FIT NOTES
note mid Nov wedding

Base SIZE 39
Shoulder +0.5 cm, will be doubled
Lower collar -2 cm
Upper back -1 cm, will be doubled
Waist +1 cm, will be doubled
Lower front +0.5 cm, will be doubled
Chest +1.5 cm, will be doubled
Posture? S shape
Button point -2 cm
Bicep -1 cm, will be doubled
Lower sleeve -0.5 cm, will be doubled
Length -1 cm, will be doubled
Sleeve length -0.5 cm right pre shoulder adjustment
Trouser SIZE 33
Waist +1 cm, will be doubled
Rise +1 cm front +2 cm rear
Seat +1 cm, will be doubled
Thigh +0.5 cm, will be doubled
Ankle -1 cm, will be doubled
Inseam unfinished
Vest SIZE 40
Waist -1 cm, will be doubled
Length -3 cm

Add +0.5 cm for jacket chest, waist for vest if ordered

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I went to Aaron of Kent Wang on Monday and had a great visit! He took a lot of measurements and sent me a bunch of options (at bottom). Main questions I hope you all can help me out with (directness always welcome):

1. Vest/Cummerbund: I definitely prefer a shawl collar, and I've read it's generally more accepted to wear a cummerbund with shawl, and a vest with peak. Thoughts on this? Is it acceptable to wear a vest with a shawl collar?

2. Vest: If it is acceptable to get a vest and if I do, Aaron had it listed with 5 buttons, but I've also read that normally it should have no more than 3. Should I request the vest to be shorter at the stomach and with only 3 buttons?

3. Shawl lapel width: Aaron put it at the standard 3.5", but as much as you all hated the OTR tux, I liked the narrower lapel. The one on the Kent Wang website looks a little wide to my taste. What are the limits of acceptable lapel width? I couldn't find much online in terms of specific widths except on Black Lapel, which listed only for their notch and peak lapels as 2.75" for the slim.

4. Shawl lapel facing: I'm not crazy about super shiny bowties, but I know they're supposed to match the lapel facing. I asked for grosgrain, but on doing more reading, I see satin is more common on shawl lapels. Thoughts?

Any help is appreciated - thank you!

You can wear a vest (waistcoat) with a shawl collar. Just make sure the waistcoat front is U-shaped. Five buttons seems like a lot, and will be too many on a U-shaped waistcoat. Also, if you have the bottom of the waistcoat cut straight across, do not leave the bottom button undone. Similarly, if you opt for a double-breasted waistcoat, do not leave the bottom button undone.

Shawl collars look great if they are generously sized, and I think if you opt for a skinny shawl you will come to regret that decision. If you want grosgrain, get grosgrain. I have grosgrain on my velvet, shawl collar dinner jacket. You'll need a grosgrain tie, of course, and a grosgrain stripe down the outside of your trousers, but if you go all that you will look good. And it is another way to subtly signal that this ain't no rental tux, should you care about that!

dandannoodle

Reaction score
Thanks Andy! I meant to thank you when you replied but somehow failed to do so.

I pulled the trigger with Aaron. I very much like the idea of getting my first MTM suit for my wedding and Aaron was great. I opted also for the vest - it's four buttons, but it's a deep U shape and he assured me it won't show above the lapels. Here's the photo he sent:

U shape formal tuxedo vest waistcoat photo.jpg

I also decided to switch back to satin facings and took your advice on the standard lapel width. I tried on a RLPL at a department store and it looked nice.

I'm hoping to score some patent leather pumps with a grosgrain stripe (but no bow). Is this doable under $300? Any recommendations would be most welcome - either online or for places to look in the city. Bloomingdales didn't have anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads