• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding tomorrow, brown shoes or black?

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a wedding to attend to tomorrow. It starts at 10am and the after parties last until everyone passes out I suppose.

I am wearing a charcoal grey suit and white shirt. I don't remember looking at other people's shoes at previous weddings but are dark brown shoes appropriate for a wedding? I've worn black to my last two weddings but thought about mixing it up a bit. I just don't want to stick out more than the groom
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'd actually think brown is more appropriate for daytime...

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Weddings being (hopefully) festive occasions, and brown shoes being more overtly stylish than black, one would think that the two would be a good fit, but for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, my instincts would say that black would be a better choice for a wedding. I'm sure brown would be fine, though, if you prefer.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Weddings being (hopefully) festive occasions, and brown shoes being more overtly stylish than black, one would think that the two would be a good fit, but for some reason I can't quite put my finger on, my instincts would say that black would be a better choice for a wedding. I'm sure brown would be fine, though, if you prefer.

I'd agree. Some here might have trouble envisioning brown shoes at a wedding, and I certainly understand that. That being said, being that the wedding is at 10 am, I probably could convince myself to wear dark brown pretty quickly.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If some friend of mine scheduled a wedding for 10 a.m. and expected me to be in attendance, he'd be lucky to see anything but bedroom slippers on my feet. What an ungodly hour! And such a long time to drink afterwards...

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown slippers or black slippers
biggrin.gif
So the reactions are mixed. It seems I might be able to pull off brown but black is probably a safer choice. I'm still at a toss up and I'm probably reading more into this then I need to, I just want to look good.

rogerm

Reaction score
10AM is little out there...

I think you should wear brown. One you'll stand out from the sea of black shoes. 2nd this isn't an evening affair, so wearing brown shoes is acceptable.

Also I like to think that anyone on this forum is head and shoulders above the general population in dress, style, decorum, and knowledge as to the rules of men's dress, and with that knowledge comes the earned right to break those rules when you see fit. So wear brown, and if you can party for 12 hours straight, forget brown or black shoes and start wearing those glass platform shoes that have fish swimming in the bottom, because you sir are a pimp in my book.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
yes, the last wedding i wore a charcoal suit, purple shirt, and glistening antiqued brown shoes.
i was the only brown shoe out of the sea of black shoes. moreso it was because there were mostly korean peoples there. only knowing black shoes.
i got complemented by a couple of ladies. (my wife i think told them to complement me, to kind of humor me).
mad.gif

ATM

Reaction score
Wear brown shoes and keep a pair of black shoes in your car. Set an alarm for 5:59pm. When the alarm goes off, go to your car and change your shoes.
lookaround.gif

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just don't want to stick out more than the groom
Forget that, his time is over. Go with the flashy brown shoes and pick-up some bridesmaids
wink.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
[. . .]such a long time to drink afterwards...

Says who?!

di Robilant

Reaction score
You may be interested to know that in Italy, where brown shoes seem to be more prevalent than in any other country, the (vast) majority of men wear black shoes when attending weddings. And that includes men of my long acquaintance whom I have never seen shod in anything darker than a chestnut brown. I have never asked why this should be so ; my instinct told me that since a wedding is an important ceremonial occasion, a little gravitas was required.

Having said this, Italy is a somewhat feudal and regimented society in which lack of (what is perceived to be) good form can lead to social ostracism ! The key, I think, is to take one's lead from the bride and groom when assessing the level of formality required, remembering always that you are there to please THEM. Clearly, if you're attending Billy Bob Thornton's wedding, I should think that a pair of vintage Levi's and Lucchese boots should do admirably ! I don't even want to think about what one might wear to Courtney Love's wedding.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by di Robilant
I don't even want to think about what one might wear to Courtney Love's wedding.

underwear would definitely be optional.

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Forget that, his time is over. Go with the flashy brown shoes and pick-up some bridesmaids
wink.gif

Haha that is the master plan
wink.gif

I think I might just go with the brown shoes, I may get a few odd stares from those who don't realize grey and brown can live together in harmony, but that is fine with me. I just hope no drinks get splashed or spilled and ruin the nice finish.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by di Robilant
You may be interested to know that in Italy, where brown shoes seem to be more prevalent than in any other country, the (vast) majority of men wear black shoes when attending weddings. And that includes men of my long acquaintance whom I have never seen shod in anything darker than a chestnut brown. I have never asked why this should be so ; my instinct told me that since a wedding is an important ceremonial occasion, a little gravitas was required.

Having said this, Italy is a somewhat feudal and regimented society in which lack of (what is perceived to be) good form can lead to social ostracism !

I've also heard/seen that at weddings, baptisms, etc. white shirts are worn almost exclusively...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads