1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Apr 8, 2008.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

They're fine, just kind of uninteresting and unrefined IMHO...I'm sure that RLPL one costs a pretty penny and maybe the other ones are expensive too, but somehow to me a solid shiny tie is always in danger of looking like it was bought for $15 somewhere. A glen check will never look like that.

2. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I hate satin solid as well, but not all solids need to be satin. There's twill, and of course grenadine:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  3. drocu

drocu New Member

I just wanted to say how helpful this thread has been. I found a RL Glen Plaid tie NWT on eBay for $45 that is perfect. I will be wearing it for my wedding.

4. Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle Well-Known Member

Going through this wedding tie decision myself right now. What do people think of this with a 2B, peak lapel charcoal three piece suit and a white french cuff collar pin shirt?
    [​IMG]

Should the dots be closer, or is this acceptable?

5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

That can work IMO.

6. Kent Wang

It's a decent outfit, but it isn't a traditional wedding tie, if that matters to you.

Other than that, there are two things I don't like about that tie: the dots are horizontal instead of diagonal, and it isn't even cut straight. You can see the columns of dots are not even.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  7. mason

mason Well-Known Member

I can see his point, the diagonal dots would make it more flattering on the wearer, am I right?

8. Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle Well-Known Member

I now agree. I looked at my dot ties at home, and they are all diagonally dispersed in an "X" fashion. I take it there is nothing inherently incorrect about wearing a dot tie for wedding then, and that it is equally acceptable as the plaid (which I do not care for) and the sheperd's check.

9. Kent Wang

There's really no tie that is specifically unacceptable for a wedding, but the proper wedding ties described earlier in this thread, including black/white glen plaid, shepherd's check, etc. are the most proper. Dot ties are not in the same rank as these.

10. idntfs

idntfs Member

11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you've got time, Sam Hober can hook you up with whatever you need. Less time, but more expense, Drake's.

12. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

For my wedding last year I picked up seven or eight varied ties for ushers and groomsmen from Jaan J. They are vegan (not silk) and cheap. They have a nice assortment of appropriate patterns and colors, though, and mine formed a nice dimple with some encouragement.

13. TiesNecktie

TiesNecktie Senior member

Like this one? This is actually one of our best selling Wedding Ties.
    [​IMG]

14. MTB-85

MTB-85 Well-Known Member

This screams "groom"!

15. Renton

Renton Senior member

With a few weddings this fall, I thought I'd start adding a few wedding ties to my collection. Unfortunately, Hober is out of the two patterns I prefer.

http://www.samhober.com/plaid-silk-ties/english-plaid-9.html
    [​IMG]

http://www.samhober.com/formal-wedding-silk-ties/formal-wedding-silk-tie.html
    [​IMG]

Any recommendations for other Hober patterns that would fit the idea of a conservative wedding tie?

I'd prefer to buy from Hober as I've had nothing but success with his ties and service, but I did like the look of this Cappelli

http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_27&products_id=648
    [​IMG]

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

That cappelli is awesome, grab it.

17. Renton

Renton Senior member

Noted, but anything from Hober? I'm thinking with no new Cappelli orders processed until after September 10, I probably won't have that in time for an end of September wedding.

18. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

+1.

19. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

What about the shepherds check ties from Kent Wang?

20. CBrown85

CBrown85 Senior member

For the poors out there who just need a bunch of wedding ties for their groomsmen, hit up TieBar! Ties aren't amazing but they're 15 bux.

1 person likes this.