1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

Bumping this thread. I read through most of it and it's just black/white POW pattern getting recommended over and over. Any other patterns, colors people use for weddings (as guests)?

@Archibald Leach Why do you recommend against the black grenadine?

2. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Not true. Wedding ties, by definition, have a limited palette, black, white, silver, grey and, occasionally, dark blue. POW, sheppards check and houndstooth are classics, but there are lots of acceptable patterns. Sam Hober has several, for example.

http://www.samhober.com/formal-wedding-silk-ties/

Personally, I prefer a small houndstooth as I think it's visually interesting but not intrusive which makes it fine for things other than weddings.

http://www.patriziocappelli.it/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=648

3. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

+1

Most of the suggestions in this thread are highly conservative. I was at a wedding early in the summer and wore a salmon colored tie. Some weddings are a more festive themes than others, which should influence the choice. As a guest, I think you have lots of flexibility. As a groom, less so, but again it comes down to the theme of the wedding.

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I'm a big fan of black grenadine ties, just not for weddings. Black can be a lovely color for a tie and I like grenadine silk, but I cannot call black grenadine festive. Stylish, elegant, sometimes somber, yes. Festive, no. I have worn a silver / grey grenadine before to weddings (mostly before I bought a couple of wedding ties), and thought it looked very nice.

5. archibaldleach

Well, it really comes down to how traditional you want your attire to be. I'd say most people would be surprised to learn that there are such things as wedding ties. I see them as a little bit of lesser known tradition that is worth preserving, but I doubt anyone suffers adverse consequences for not wearing them. Fortunately, wedding ties look great with a white shirt and dark suit (perhaps slightly lighter suits in summer), so it's not like you are giving up opportunities for elegance by wearing them. I guess one could say that there are many ties one could wear to a wedding and look nice in, but not all of these ties are wedding ties.

6. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

I have just worn the "wedding tie" with the same group of friends already earlier this year and wanted to try something different. I'm in that age range where I have a wedding to attend every few months, and I don't want to be the guy who wears the same tie every time.

7. archibaldleach

^ I get that. The smartass in me wants to tell you that the answer is to acquire more wedding ties...

Seriously, though, I do think the dark suit, white shirt and lighter colored tie is a good general guideline. A silver grenadine would be great if you have one, but failing that, I'd go with a conservative tie.

8. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

This.

"Wedding Ties" are a specific thing, like "Dinner Suits". Nobody says you can only eat dinner wearing a tuxedo, though it certainly looks great when you do.

Of course, you can wear a tie other than a "Wedding Tie" to a wedding. It is impressive enough that you are wearing a tie. At some weddings, it is impressive enough that you are wearing shoes.

In fact, a "Wedding Tie" may not be the best choice for a wedding, depending on the wedding. For example, I recently went to a wedding in Hong Kong and wore a bright red tie and a blue shirt since white is associated with mourning and funerals in Chinese culture.

9. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Nobody will notice unless it's something outlandish.

1 person likes this.
  10. AdductorMagnus

AdductorMagnus Well-Known Member

Any leads on a tie similar to Kent Wangs b/w shepherd's check in a more student-friendly pricerange? I'm in Europe.
    Heck, maybe someone finds themselves owning too many wedding ties and would sell me one?

11. colco

colco Senior member

Wang is about as affordable as a premium tie maker gets. Check out ebay.

12. colco

colco Senior member

If you buy, say a blue/white sheppard check, a grey pow and a black/silver houndstooth you'd have three ties you could wear to any festive occassion you needed to attend for the rest of your life.

13. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Agreed. Polo Ralph Lauren does them. Kent Wang's are nicer, and Hober's nicer still, but the PRLs are perfectly fine. There's usually one floating around on eBay.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  14. AdductorMagnus

AdductorMagnus Well-Known Member

So, subscribe to a PRL search on eBay, and in lieu of a good one showing up, go for a Wang. 85 bucks... I guess I could swing it. This semester is gonna suck liquidity-wise anyway. Guess it'll last me quite a few years though.

15. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Here's a short one (55", so be careful) with a stripe. I also found a bowtie in a B&W houndstooth.

16. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

A few months ago, I ran across a quite nice black and silver houndstooth in Charles Tyrwhitt, of all places. The lining was a bit heavy for my taste, but otherwise, it was a perfectly respectable example, and quite inexpensive.