• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Tie with Navy Suit

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Hey guys I wanted everyone's opinion on this because I had an argument with my fiance about this...

I'm getting married in November and I was thinking of one of these two ties:
1. A Sam hober Grey glen plaid
2. Jos A Banks grey houndstooth

[ATTACHMENT=11848]IMG_0660.JPG (1,857k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I wanted to wear one of these ties with a navy suit and white shirt.

My fiance says that these ties have "black" in them so they don't go with navy and I have to wear a grey suit. I think she's wrong and I would look great with either.

Can you put to bed this argument for us please.....

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
This is such a classic look it's ridiculous to even have the discussion.

And lastly, to establish historical precedent, an Apparel Arts plate:

Last edited:

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
@Ziggyosk, I understand the value of marital harmony, but please tell me you're wearing the damn wedding tie.

ziggyosk

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies,

The problem is im living in italy, shes italian and we've asked all her friends, family, and even when we went into the stores looking at suits and ties, all the people working in the stores all agreed with her....

I guess its an italian thing because they all say a blue suit doesnt go with a black tie, and since the houndstooth and glenplaid ties are BW they say they dont go together. And they all say their sense of fashion is the best in the world so they are right...

I can't figure out an explaination to give them

Bleedblue

Reaction score
It looks fine - I like the effect and as others say it's a classic look.

However, may I suggest that you save this argument for literally any other event, and instead wear whichever tie she decides she likes most?

ETA: I know this is a fashion forum, just couldn't resist giving what (in my case) was life-saving advice!

Last edited:

turkoftheplains

Reaction score

Thanks for your replies,

The problem is im living in italy, shes italian and we've asked all her friends, family, and even when we went into the stores looking at suits and ties, all the people working in the stores all agreed with her....

I guess its an italian thing because they all say a blue suit doesnt go with a black tie, and since the houndstooth and glenplaid ties are BW they say they dont go together. And they all say their sense of fashion is the best in the world so they are right...

There's your problem, I think. It's a classic Anglo-American look.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies,

Is the wedding in Italy? If so, then I think it wise (and courteous) to conform to their standards, however much it might offend one's anglophile sartorial preferences.

If you really want a blue suit, have you considered a non-traditional variant of the Glen check tie in shades of blue?

Cheers,

Ac

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for your replies,

why in gods name would you try to at this point?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't argue with your wife-to-be as you will lose, whatever the outcome.

You have 2 choices: either 1) get a grey suit and wear one of the ties you posted, or 2) wear your navy suit and get a tie that conforms. Vanda has a beautiful navy-cream prince of wales

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads