• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding tie with light/medium blue custom suit

KBear15

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Getting married in a few months and I am at a loss with my tie selection. I am wearing a medium blue custom suit, a custom white dress shirt with a cutaway collar and walnut AE strands. I was initially thinking about a gray/silver tie. The wedding is outdoors in the summer time so I was also thinking I should probably stick to cotton for material.

thoughts?

Suit:

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A medium/light grey/silver tie would look baller as ****, man. Do it. Plus it's your wedding, you can get away with like a wicked shiny satin one. But yeah, cotton's cool tie, it IS summer after all.

KBear15

Reaction score
I chose a more casual colored suit in order to NOT wear black shoes on my wedding day. The entire event is tented, outdoors on the water.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown/walnut shoes are fine, especially in this whole outdoor environment type scenario, on the lake and such.

Rock the hell out of those brown shoes. I BELIEVE IN YOU, KBEAR15

Last edited:

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thoughts on suspenders?

Belt or suspenders, makes no difference, I think. Whatever look you prefer, beltless or belted. I think going with suspenders gives a nice uniform look, very consistent. Belt is a nice accessory that makes your watch, shoes and such consistent with one another.

If that makes sense.

KBear15

Reaction score
Thanks guys. The suit is custom, so I obviously had them add suspender buttons.

Now I just need to hope that I have enough left in the budget for the wedding watch.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Reaction score
mmm The point is that you shouldn't wear any other color than black for your shoes: for weddings nobody should wear brown shoes, neighter the groom, nor the guests ( males). Are rules....that you obviously can break if you want. I wrote them just in case you didn't know and you'd like respect some rules of good manners
They should be an oxford wholecut model, or cap toe if you really do not like wholecut style.
Also the color of the suit is not really appropriate if you are the groom: it should be dark blue, or charcoal, that's all.
And you shouldn't wear neighter the suspenders, nor the belt if the suit is a custom suit as you said, cause it should fit perfectly, but well, if you wanna wear the suspenders, you should also wear the waistcoat to cover them up.

Btw....I'm reading the entire event will be outdoors on the water, so you could go even with a much lighter suit color and a lighter fabric, everything more relaxed....and I'm thinking like those weddings on the beach, so the outfit would be in line with the location, but be careful because all the other guests should wear more relaxed as you do in that case.

The suit color in your photo would be ok for a guest, but also the guest should wear black laces up shoes in a formal wedding.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mmm The point is that you shouldn't wear any other color than black for your shoes: for weddings nobody should wear brown shoes, neighter the groom, nor the guests ( males). Are rules....that you obviously can break if you want. I wrote them just in case you didn't know and you'd like respect some rules of good manners
They should be an oxford wholecut model, or cap toe if you really do not like wholecut style.
Also the color of the suit is not really appropriate if you are the broom: it should be dark blue, or charcoal, that's all.
And you shouldn't wear neighter the suspenders, nor the belt if the suit is a custom suit as you said, cause it should fit perfectly, but well, if you wanna wear the suspenders, you should also wear the waistcoat to cover them up.

Btw....I'm reading the entire event will be outdoors on the water, so you could go even with a much lighter suit color and a lighter fabric, everything more relaxed....and I'm thinking like those weddings on the beach, so the outfit would be in line with the location, but be careful because all the other guests should wear more relaxed as you do in that case.

The suit color in your photo would be ok for a guest, but also the guest should wear black laces up shoes in a formal wedding.

Where do guys like you come up with all this stuff? Sometimes I think guys like you make up these rigid rules out of sheer devilment! And what's so special about wholecuts, compared, say, to plain-toes? Personally, I think walnut Strands would be just fine with this suit. Obviously, this is not a "formal" wedding in any sense of the word, so let the groom do what he wants as long as it's within the bounds of good taste.

I personally don't care for suspenders worn with suit trousers that also have belt loops--it just looks "off," at least to me, as would wearing suit trousers with neither belt nor braces unless they have side fasteners. If your trousers have belt loops, wear a belt.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Reaction score
Well, I also said in my reply: "you obviously can break if you want" so, I'm the first saying the groom to do what he wants, but as I've added, I wrote what I wrote just in case he wanted to respect some rules and maybe he wasn't aware of what were.
By force the rules are rigid in a wedding: for instance if the groom decides to wear a tight all the other guests must wear a tight, incuding the two fathers and the groom must have also a pair of gloves ( which will never be worn ) and a top hat, plus the tight can be worn just in morning and in the first afternoon.
Are rules for those who wanna do the things right in case they wanna wear this or this.
Now.....I don't think lots of persons will choose to wear a tight, me neighter but are written rules.
The difference is breaking the rules being aware of that, or breaking them without knowing anything about them: everyone then is free to choose what he prefers.
Regarding the shoes, yes the plain-toes are the first choice as the wholecuts are, just missed the term in english when I was writing.
And regarding the suspenders we agree on the point that they would look inappropriate in a suit with belt loops and it's also true that if a suit have the belt loops it's better to wear a belt instead of going without: I was just pointing on the fact that if we are speaking of a custom suit, it would be better without belt loops, so without belt, cause the trousers are already made in the perfect size for whom will wear them.
The belt breaks the line of the suit as you surely know, so without belt loops and without belt it looks much nicer especially because it's a custom suit and if it's for your own wedding.....
By the way..we are really speaking of little details, but I think that we can here on style forum: if not here where else?:):):)

Last edited:

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I don't know the term "a tight" means. I know what "tights" mean, but the idea of the groom and other males at a wedding in tights, together with a top hat and gloves, seems nothing if not comical. I presume from the context that by "tight" you may mean a full-rig morning ensemble, but it's certainly a new one on me.

Does anyone wear gloves at a wedding these days?

I have to wonder if the men who are so rigidly prescriptivist about wedding attire have attended a real wedding anytime in the past 40 years or so. Getting every male in attendance into a necktie would be something of a triumph compared any of those I have attended, ditto for funerals.

Leonardo Da Vinci

Reaction score
I get from what you write that you have never read something about wedding rules, good manners and so on: it's not mandatory to know something about these topics...but I don't get what you have against them. It's not me saying what are the rules: I'm just writing what I know of those rules: wanna break them? then break them.
Guess you know about the rules of good manners when you are eating at the table...and I'm not speaking of eating at a wedding party, I mean generally speaking: someone know them, someone do not, and somebody break them even if knowing them: what's the problem.
Btw, as I wrote and you can read it in my post, the gloves are not meant to be worn, and only the groom must have the top hat and the gloves, but ehy....I'm speaking of wearing a tight just as example speaking of rules, meaning that: if you wanna wear a tight the rule says, all the guests too ( males ) have to wear a tight, so as you can easily imagine is not an outfit for the most of weddings.....but again.....I'm just speaking of some rules regarding the weddings.

Btw...this one you see in the image is a tight....which I found is called morning-suit/coat/dress in english.

Anyway....may I underline once again I mentioned the tight/ morning suit just to remind that also this outfti has its own rule:
Where are you located? In Europe is not so rare to see a wedding with men all wearing a tight/ morning suit: sure is something not common, but if the cerimony is placed in a nice place, in a nice church,.....and if you and your guests are wealthy people....well it's a good and more elegant option for a wedding.
Now coming back to a normal outfit for a normal wedding...there are normal rules too, which are the ones I said in my first reply: are not so hard, it's just a matter of knowing them.
And well...as we know there are persons going to a wedding wearing jeans, sneakers, or even slippers:eek: and I'm speaking of the guests, and it's such a lack of respect to the couple that are getting married: that's why there are rules for the groom, the bride and the guests, but the police won't arrest anyone which break them :) :)

Last edited:

Leonardo Da Vinci

Reaction score
there are other rules regarding the morning suit...and there are mistakes in these pictures too...but I already spoke too much about this...which is not the topic of the thread, so....let's say that we all know the other rules of the morning suit regard the fabric, the colorSSS, how to wear it, what not to wear and so on.............

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I get from what you write that you have never read something about wedding rules, good manners and so on: it's not mandatory to know something about these topics...but I don't get what you have against them. It's not me saying what are the rules: I'm just writing what I know of those rules: wanna break them? then break them.

Actually, there's a good chance I was reading about that stuff before you were born. A lot of what you have been spouting I have never seen in any classic etiquette books, nor in the numerous books--good, bad and indifferent--on proper menswear in my personal library. Nor yet have I encountered anyone quite so rigidly dogmatic and prescriptivist as you in my 11 years or thereabouts of frequenting these fora.

The term "tight" in this context, although taken from English, is strictly an Italian usage, I have just discovered.

I have spent most of my life in Southern California. Although I don't habitually move in the most elite social circles, I have had friends who have. I did manage to attend a couple of fine private schools and did have the privilege of studying for two years at Balliol College, Oxford. George Washington and James Madison are part of my extended family, and Abraham Lincoln was a close friend of the family...if any of this counts for anything, which it probably doesn't.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bro, have you considered just asking your fiancee?

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the real Leonardo da Vinci had been so rigid in his convictions, we would never have heard of him.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads