• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding tie advice

notfortheweak

Reaction score
I'm getting married in October and I have most of the details of what I'm going to be wearing nailed down. To wit: navy three piece suit, white spread collar french cuff shirt, braces, AE Park Avenues. And now I'm deciding about ties for myself and my groomsmen. Thanks to some ebay sales it looks like I'll be able to go the Sam Hober/Kent Wang route for these. My dilemma is deciding which ties would work well together.

For myself, I'm leaning toward the Sam Hober English Plaid #9

I really like the look of a glen plaid and I think it'll look great with the navy suit. The guys at the Andover Shop (where I'm getting my suit) seem pretty against the glen plaid/prince of wales with navy because it's too dark, but I think it looks pretty sharp.

As for groomsmen, my leaning is toward getting them different, but complimentary ties, rather than going with identical ties for everyone. I have 4 groomsmen that I need to get ties for, as well as our officiant who is a close friend. They will all be wearing their own suits in either charcoal grey or navy. These are the ties I've found that I think could work well, although I'm not certain whether they would all work together in terms of style of tie and such. I know some of these are not traditional wedding ties (I've read the wedding tie thread a few times now), but finding enough unique, traditional wedding ties that I like has been tough, so if I'm going to have everyone in different ties, I think I have to branch out of being too strictly traditional. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as would any suggestions of other ties to consider.

(I'll link to the ties, but also post spoilered photos of them if that works easier for people.)

Option #1 Silver Gray Diamond Weave from Sam Hober

Option #2 Charcoal gray/silver grenadine garza fina

Option #3 Formal/Wedding Silk Tie #11

Option #4 Formal/Wedding Silk Tie #5

Option #5 Formal/Wedding Silk Tie #12

Option #6 Gray Cashmere

Option #7 Silver Gray Shot Tie Silk

Option #8 Charcoal Gray/Silver Grenadine Garza Grossa

Option #9 Kent Wang Shepherd's Check

Last edited:

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The guys at the Andover Shop (where I'm getting my suit) seem pretty against the glen plaid/prince of wales with navy because it's too dark

Ignore these people, the glen plaid is perfect.

Personally I would go with either the glen plaid or a houndstooth, though the shepherds check is okay. Though you will need some more variety to mix up the groomsmen, which is a good idea rather than having them matching. I think #1, #3 and #5 are the best of the other ones you've pictured.

DM66

Reaction score
I will not give you advice as it would be of no help because I'm in the same boat as you are and struggling. I WILL thank you for posting a smarter and more complete question then the ones I have posed recently.
thumbs-up.gif

notfortheweak

Reaction score

I will not give you advice as it would be of no help because I'm in the same boat as you are and struggling. I WILL thank you for posting a smarter and more complete question then the ones I have posed recently.
thumbs-up.gif
Thanks, man. I feel like I'm very close here. If anyone else has thoughts, that would be great.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
How late into the day will you be wearing the tie? From a distance, a B&W glen plaid will look more like light gray, while a fine B&W shepherd's check or houndstooth will look more like silver. Under artificial light, I think that silver is a better hue for a tie than gray. However, if you're wearing a high-throated vest (e.g., 6-button SB), then the visible pattern in the glen plaid would nicely balance out the large and unrelieved expanse of navy.

In case it matters, while B&W shepherd's check, B&W houndstooth, and B&W glen plaid are all classic patterns for formal ties, shepherd's is more classic than houndstooth which is more classic than glen plaid. When the pattern gets bolder, the tie's dressiness/formality decreases. You might say that shepherd's is the full dress option of formal daytime ties, while houndstooth is the half dress, and glen plaid and silver grenadine are the undress. (Interestingly, this may not hold true of formal cravats, but does seem to apply to four-in-hands and bowties.)

Last edited:

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think patterned ties, whether it be striped or checked are always reliable. Striped silk ties, with blue or gray hues, would look good. Of course, you certainly cannot fail with the glen plaid.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
If the main action is at 4:30, the glen plaid will look great, then.

BTW, I think you are quite right to buy different ties for the groomsmen. It looks suboptimal if a group of civilians are all wearing the same tie during the day.

The shepherd's, garza grossa, garza fina, and #11 basketweave are all excellent for weddings.

notfortheweak

Reaction score
Thanks, everybody. If I'm trying to hit five unique ties, what would be a good way to go? Are any of the ones I've listed clearly a bad selection? Any other thoughts on where I should be looking?

Cheweh

Reaction score
College student here, going to my cousin's wedding. Which (if any) of these ties would be most appropriate?

I'm planning on wearing a charcoal suit and a white tie.

Last edited:

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was coming in to this thread to recommend a glen plaid tie. OP, you have good taste. :fistbump:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Glen plaid, my gf thought I was insane until I showed her th entire look. I like the three piece, though I'm thinking of going double breasted two piece myself.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

College student here, going to my cousin's wedding. Which (if any) of these ties would be most appropriate?

I'm planning on wearing a charcoal suit and a white tie.

The one on the right.
OP, like the glen plaid as well. As for the groomsmen, I like 1,6,8 and 9. Great ties. You are going to be a great looking wedding party.

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always really liked the Kent Wang glen plaid tie, and I think I like it a bit more than the Sam Hober version. At this point I'm splitting hairs, though. I just think it looks a bit cleaner and more elegant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads