• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Suit

mikemoon

Reaction score
I am new to this forum so I apologize if I'm rehashing an old subject. I'm looking to purchase a nice wedding suit for my wedding in June 2012. I almost purchased a Boss Black Suit. I found it at Nordstroms and tried it on and it fit great with very minor adjustments needed to the sleeves only. I came on here and did some research and the consensus seems to be this is a bad suit to purchase especially for the retail price of $795. I do notice now that it's actually on sale online for $549 at 30% off.

Now my question would be, is this suit worth $549? Or is there a better suit that I can get in store and not online in this price range?

I like modern or slim fitting suits and it's an island wedding but not on the beach. Also, this suit is one that I would wear in the future but only like 5-10 times a year.

Any feedback is appreciated.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never never buy Hugo Boss' suit

Black suit sounds good, but I think a flock coat with trouser or morning dress will be more appropriate for wedding

better tell us what is your budget.... what sort of things you like and afford?

This better not a poor student marriage

mikemoon

Reaction score
I'm sorry for not being more specific. My budget is between $500 - $800. I'm one of those people when they are new to a subject and set a budget they do research and eventually purchase a very high quality expensive item that is pretty far outside the original budget. I do not want to get too expensive here as I will only be wearing the suit mainly for one occasion but one very important occasion.

The suit is actually grey, Black is actually the type of brand of Hugo Boss Suit. I think it's even worse than Hugo Boss. Yes, it's made in Turkey for all the good and bad of that.

I'm not a poor student but I am a fairly young professional (33) with a fiance (26) who is a student, so we live on one income basically.

My fashion varies. I know some of the brands and stores I mention may get frowned upon here but I will list them. For jeans, I stick with Levis 501 or 514 Slim. I like basic t-shirts (50/50 or Tri-blend) from American Apparel or similar quality. In the past I've bought the common brands like Kenneth Cole, Ralph Lauren Polo, etc. for business wear. I like Ben Sherman slacks. My only other suit is a Kenneth Cole (Made in India)...ouch. I do have a Breitling watch at least.

I do have good fashion sense and know how to dress but coming here I look to learn more and progress in this area, especially in formal wear.

Also, I must add that I'm getting married on in St. Lucia. It's an island wedding but not a beach wedding. We will be on a hill overlooking the ocean between the Pitons.

I have very little experience with suits. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I just recently became familiar with the terms: fused, half canvased and full canvased.

When I invest in something like a suit I do want quality but there is a law of diminishing return as I only have so much use for the suit at this point.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry for not being more specific. My budget is between $500 - $800. I'm one of those people when they are new to a subject and set a budget they do research and eventually purchase a very high quality expensive item that is pretty far outside the original budget. I do not want to get too expensive here as I will only be wearing the suit mainly for one occasion but one very important occasion.

The suit is actually grey, Black is actually the type of brand of Hugo Boss Suit. I think it's even worse than Hugo Boss. Yes, it's made in Turkey for all the good and bad of that.

I'm not a poor student but I am a fairly young professional (33) with a fiance (26) who is a student, so we live on one income basically.

My fashion varies. I know some of the brands and stores I mention may get frowned upon here but I will list them. For jeans, I stick with Levis 501 or 514 Slim. I like basic t-shirts (50/50 or Tri-blend) from American Apparel or similar quality. In the past I've bought the common brands like Kenneth Cole, Ralph Lauren Polo, etc. for business wear. I like Ben Sherman slacks. My only other suit is a Kenneth Cole (Made in India)...ouch. I do have a Breitling watch at least.

I do have good fashion sense and know how to dress but coming here I look to learn more and progress in this area, especially in formal wear.

Also, I must add that I'm getting married on in St. Lucia. It's an island wedding but not a beach wedding. We will be on a hill overlooking the ocean between the Pitons.

I have very little experience with suits. I'm embarrassed to admit it but I just recently became familiar with the terms: fused, half canvased and full canvased.

When I invest in something like a suit I do want quality but there is a law of diminishing return as I only have so much use for the suit at this point.

:eek: 33 is now fairly young?

BTW, what time of the day is the wedding, what's the theme/color, etc? What's your typical suit size?

I am sure if you shop long enough you could find a much better suit at $500-$800. And I do have two tux for sale within your price range. One 40R one 44R. :)

mikemoon

Reaction score
Well, I'm one of those that doesn't consider 50 old either. I guess I meant it more from a financial professional perspective as well. Sorry if I misrepresented something.

My size for the Boss Suit was a 38R Jacket and the 6 point drop in the pants fit fine which would bring me to a 32 waist. I actually figured I was a 40 R as I used to be a 44 R when I was about 185 lbs and I'm now 170 lbs. My training varies so I can make my size go up or down slightly without a problem.

I'm actually looking for a suit and not a tux for this occasion. The theme is clean and simple tan and white. The bridesmaids are wearing blush and the bride's dress is ivory.

I appreciate all the feedback thus far.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm one of those that doesn't consider 50 old either. I guess I meant it more from a financial professional perspective as well. Sorry if I misrepresented something.

My size for the Boss Suit was a 38R Jacket and the 6 point drop in the pants fit fine which would bring me to a 32 waist. I actually figured I was a 40 R as I used to be a 44 R when I was about 185 lbs and I'm now 170 lbs. My training varies so I can make my size go up or down slightly without a problem.

I'm actually looking for a suit and not a tux for this occasion. The theme is clean and simple tan and white. The bridesmaids are wearing blush and the bride's dress is ivory.

I appreciate all the feedback thus far.

You should really consider khaki suits if your groomsmen are going to dress a notch below. Take advantage of all the crazy sales going on at the moment, hunt at your local RL store and marshalls for great deals. eBay works as well.

mikemoon

Reaction score
It's at 5 pm in the evening. The ceremony will be fairly quick though. Saint Lucia can get warm but less so than Atlanta, GA at this time of year.

I really did like the fit of the Boss suit but as mentioned I've only had an opportunity to try on so many suits. I tried on a Calvin Klein suit at Macys and for the $300 price it seemed ok, the jacket fit well but the pants weren't the best fit on the inside of the inseam toward the crotch area.

Here is a link to the suit I'm speaking about: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/boss-bl...-suit/3263304?origin=category&resultback=1464

I'm sure if I would probably expand my budget to $1000 if I found a suit that would be my main suit for years to come (formal occasions, interviews, etc.).

Is Nordstrom even a good place to look. That have some high end brands. Is Burberry good? It was a much better experience than Macys and Men's Wearhouse. Bloomingdales and Neiman Marcus seem to be ridiculously priced although I'm sure they carry more highly regarded brands. I feel out of my element in there.

As far as color, I will consider the recommendations but we like the light grey/mid grey tones. It fits our theme and the atmosphere. Some of the people (planner and local planner) suggest the Cubavera shirt and lenin pants. I said no. It's just not my style although it looks great on some.

mikemoon

Reaction score
By the way. I appreciate all the advice and knowledge that is being shared. Everyone's time is greatly appreciated.

Archivist

Reaction score
Is there a Brooks Brothers near you? The suits are better quality than a Boss, and they are on sale at the moment.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=418

Since you are not certain of your size, get measured, and try on suits in nearby sizes to see what works best. It shout fit in the shoulders, and with the jacket on, you should be able to hug yourself without any problem.

A light to medium gray sounds fine for your wedding. If you want something to be your main suit, you might lean more towards a dark gray, or even Navy.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:eek: 33 is now fairly young?

BTW, what time of the day is the wedding, what's the theme/color, etc? What's your typical suit size?

I am sure if you shop long enough you could find a much better suit at $500-$800. And I do have two tux for sale within your price range. One 40R one 44R. :)
That is a great deal on a beautiful tux.

mikemoon

Reaction score
It does look like a great deal but I'm not really looking for a tux.

mikemoon

Reaction score
Is there a Brooks Brothers near you? The suits are better quality than a Boss, and they are on sale at the moment.
http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=418
Since you are not certain of your size, get measured, and try on suits in nearby sizes to see what works best. It shout fit in the shoulders, and with the jacket on, you should be able to hug yourself without any problem.
A light to medium gray sounds fine for your wedding. If you want something to be your main suit, you might lean more towards a dark gray, or even Navy.

Yes, there is and I passed them up (walked right by) because I figured they were more traditional and for an older audience (not a bad thing). The suits look nice on the website and they are upfront about information (i.e., Made in Italy, Half -Canvased, etc.) unlike Nordstrom with the Boss Suite.
At first glance, I like this one: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCat...&sort_by=&sectioncolor=Grey&sectionsize=#null

Are the lapels (peak vs. notched) a big deal? Is it just preference?

I wonder how long there sales last and is this the best season to buy a suit? I'd love to be able to be patient and do more research but I don't want to pass up any great deals. Only having seen their site, I'm liking what Brooks Brothers offers for the money. Are they the one's that did the Mad Men type suit that I've read about?

I appreciate all the help from everyone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics