1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Suit - Help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TheseGuysDan, Nov 14, 2013.

1. TheseGuysDan

TheseGuysDan New Member

Hello all,

I am looking for some help. I will be getting married in February, and we have decided upon a wearing a "black suit". Simple but not really. I am looking for you opinions on my best options.

Things to consider. I want a slim fit, all black, 2 button suit. I am 6'3 (slim) but will likely need to let the pants out some as I got an ass. Looking to spend up to $600-700. I live in Canada so that makes things a little tougher.

With free returns available now most places I am open to ordering online, tailoring local if possible.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

The Groom

2. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

Don't wear a black suit.

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

+1

4. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

Don't wear a black suit. Read the wedding suit thread.

5. socrates

socrates Well-Known Member

Here we go again with style forums group think, herd mentality. I have done extensive research on the Internet on what the colour black represents. The term "elegant" appears again, and again, and again.... A scientific study in Evolutionary Psychology by Roberts et al showed that both men and women were deemed to be the most attractive when they wore the colour black. God forbid anybody who want to appear elegant and attractive at their own wedding!! Many professionals who have made a successful career in the fashion industry will also agree. But these amateurs think they know more and have better taste that these professionals.

Notice that you did not ask for advise on what to wear, just on where to buy a suit. The Trad police offered their opinions anyway. I suspect that these people suffer from melanophobia (fear of the colour black). That is why they think that black is "dreary".

1 person likes this.
  6. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

From my extensive internet research, I think you have melanophilia.

7. socrates

socrates Well-Known Member

Great comeback!!! Very intelligent answer. That was a knock out blow. I do not know what to say. I am staggering.

Those who are truly interested in the truth can do their own research and can decide for themselves.

8. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I think if a guy wants a black suit that he is only going to use for evening events, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It definitely should not be used in most business situations.

Don't worry Socrates, this is nothing. You should see them jump all over any groom who (GASP) deigns to wear RENTED FORMALWEAR!!!!

1 person likes this.
  9. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

This study?
    https://dspace.stir.ac.uk/handle/1893/10786

Where they weren't testing suits (they were in t-shirts and thus in one color only instead of a coordinated outfit, where you have to at least take into consideration suit, shirt, and tie color) nor was anyone wearing Navy or Charcoal grey (the study may simply be picking up that people prefer a dark color, not black exclusively). I'm guessing if you had suits of the six colors used in the study and asked people which one to wear to a wedding, everyone would say black, because the others would be more inappropriate (so clearly not a useful study in this context).

Additionally, if someone was basing wearing a black suit off of that study they could also equally conclude wearing a red suit was a good idea.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member