• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wedding Suit? Help please!

Daveizzy

Reaction score
I'm going to be getting married this summer and have decided on wearing a suit. My budget is around $1400 and I've been having trouble narrowing down my options.

The wedding will be in the morning (11 am) and will most likely be hot and humid, however the reception is in the evening. Also, I am a student (med school) so I won't be using the suit on a regular basis. However, there will be 5-8 times a years I'm sure I'll need a nice suit.

I'm tall and thin so finding a suit had been quite an ordeal. I want to go with a dark grey, 3-piece suit. I found a Hugo Boss ($1200) that fits me nicely, and I also stopped in at Massimo Dutti and found I can get a made-to-measure suit for a decent price (~$800). I realize these aren't top quality but they're not bottom of the barrel either.

Any suggestions/opinions/critiques would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Where do you live? If OTR solutions are not all you'd like, there are some inexpensive quasi-bespoke options that might meet your needs.

Daveizzy

Reaction score
Wedding will be in the midwest. I live in Mexico City so I can find pretty much any from anyone.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A grey three-piece should serve you well going from morning to evening (assuming your bride isn't wearing an exceptionally formal gown) and it should prove useful in real life to you after the wedding. You might do a tie change from the ceremony to the reception. And if it is going to be hot and humid, you may even want an extra shirt to change into as well.

Daveizzy

Reaction score
Wonderful, I appreciate the suggestions and reassurance. Anybody have any input with regard to Hugo Boss or Massimo Dutti suits? Or possibly other options I might be overlooking at this price point?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
A grey three-piece should serve you well going from morning to evening (assuming your bride isn't wearing an exceptionally formal gown) and it should prove useful in real life to you after the wedding. You might do a tie change from the ceremony to the reception. And if it is going to be hot and humid, you may even want an extra shirt to change into as well.

Three piece is overdoing it in the OP's circumstances.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Daveizzy
I'm going to be getting married this summer and have decided on wearing a suit. My budget is around $1400 and I've been having trouble narrowing down my options.

The wedding will be in the morning (11 am) and will most likely be hot and humid, however the reception is in the evening. Also, I am a student (med school) so I won't be using the suit on a regular basis. However, there will be 5-8 times a years I'm sure I'll need a nice suit.

I'm tall and thin so finding a suit had been quite an ordeal. I want to go with a dark grey, 3-piece suit. I found a Hugo Boss ($1200) that fits me nicely, and I also stopped in at Massimo Dutti and found I can get a made-to-measure suit for a decent price (~$800). I realize these aren't top quality but they're not bottom of the barrel either.

Any suggestions/opinions/critiques would be more than welcome. Thanks in advance.

Don't do it!!!!!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.6%