• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding suit for groom

smk

Reaction score
Hi
I'm getting married in August and I decided to wear a suit instead of a tux. I want to get something under 1000 that I can wear for many things after the wedding. I've been reading on this forum and a lot people seem to suggest getting zegna for under 1000 at off 5th saks or places like that. I have been to one close to where I live and they do have a charcoal zegna suits for my size. I was wondering what you think bout wearing a charcoal/grey suit for a wedding as the groom. Will it clash with the guests? (there are no groomsmen or best man btw)
I'm really new so...there are many questions...
a charcoal suit would be considered versatile enough for use for various events after the wedding right?
also, is there a specific kind of cut I should be looking for? I'm not really an expert in clothing, but a lot of the other clothes in places like off 5th or last call seem to be outdated. Sure they carry nice brands but a lot of clothes don't seem to be up to date(like in terms of fit and such). I was wondering if it was the same case for the suits at those places. Would I be safe in purchasing any zegna suits from those places(without much knowledge of suiting..etc) or would I be better off purchasing a current hugo boss suit and the sort?
Also, there seem to be various different subtle patterns on the suits.. They look solid (in color) from a slight distance, but when you look cclose there seem to be patterns. Are there a certain types I should be avoiding to be safe?
and if there are suggestions on lapels and vents, that would be helpful too
hope it all makes sense.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

search the site for other responses to this question, which gets asked at least once a day. briefly, yes, charcoal is fine, there is no special groom cut for a suit, subtle patterns are probably fine (except for pinstripes), but you'll be better off with a solid.

+1 (at least)

I also wish newcomers would take the trouble to reearch the subject.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi
I'm getting married in August and I decided to wear a suit instead of a tux. I want to get something under 1000 that I can wear for many things after the wedding. I've been reading on this forum and a lot people seem to suggest getting zegna for under 1000 at off 5th saks or places like that. I have been to one close to where I live and they do have a charcoal zegna suits for my size. I was wondering what you think bout wearing a charcoal/grey suit for a wedding as the groom. Will it clash with the guests? (there are no groomsmen or best man btw)
I'm really new so...there are many questions...
a charcoal suit would be considered versatile enough for use for various events after the wedding right?
also, is there a specific kind of cut I should be looking for? I'm not really an expert in clothing, but a lot of the other clothes in places like off 5th or last call seem to be outdated. Sure they carry nice brands but a lot of clothes don't seem to be up to date(like in terms of fit and such). I was wondering if it was the same case for the suits at those places. Would I be safe in purchasing any zegna suits from those places(without much knowledge of suiting..etc) or would I be better off purchasing a current hugo boss suit and the sort?
Also, there seem to be various different subtle patterns on the suits.. They look solid (in color) from a slight distance, but when you look cclose there seem to be patterns. Are there a certain types I should be avoiding to be safe?
and if there are suggestions on lapels and vents, that would be helpful too
hope it all makes sense.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!!

Stick with the Zegna suit over Hugo Boss. Also, make sure it is not Z Zegna, as that is a lower-quality line. Either navy or charcoal solid would be fine and very versatile. You could go with a discreet pattern (subtle herringbone, for example), but, as others have said, you are better off with a solid. Stay away from pinstrips, as this is historically for business only.

smk

Reaction score
I do understand the topic of suit for groom has been covered numerous times. The main thing I want to know(which I haven't been able to find anywhere) is if it is safe for me to buy any solid zegna suit from a place like off 5th. Thanks.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You should really try a few on and see what fits you. Some suits that represent good value in terms of construction, fabric, and price, are just not well suited to your body. Go to the store and try on a few. Make sure they fit in the shoulders, waist/buttoning level, and length of the jacket. Ideally the collar will hug your neck well and the shoulders will lie flat as well. The more time you spend learning what a well-fitting jacket is, what the options are, and what fits you, the better your final outcome will be. But of course, that time is costly if you don't have a direct interest in the subject. Read this forum and putthison for many helpful pointers. But in the end, there is no magic bullet where you can just come on here and say, what's the best thing I can buy for under $1000, and we can just give it to you.

sborg

Reaction score
You should really try a few on and see what fits you. Some suits that represent good value in terms of construction, fabric, and price, are just not well suited to your body. Go to the store and try on a few. Make sure they fit in the shoulders, waist/buttoning level, and length of the jacket. Ideally the collar will hug your neck well and the shoulders will lie flat as well. The more time you spend learning what a well-fitting jacket is, what the options are, and what fits you, the better your final outcome will be. But of course, that time is costly if you don't have a direct interest in the subject. Read this forum and putthison for many helpful pointers. But in the end, there is no magic bullet where you can just come on here and say, what's the best thing I can buy for under $1000, and we can just give it to you.

+1
I hope this answers his question.

smk

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
I purchased a solid dark grey Ermenegildo Zegna suit for around $400 today!
MSRP was like 1200 and Saks had it for 700 and they had a 40 percent on all suits for memorial day sale.
I think 1200 is on the cheaper side for a zegna suit to begin with? Maybe it's because its a zegna suit for 5th avenue?
Anyway, the fit seems almost perfect right off the rack too!
I will post pictures soon for any comments.

Firefox

Reaction score
smk, just curious if you have any photos of the wedding suit that you ended up with. I'm getting married next year and am looking for some ideas.

Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads