• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding suit for fiance. Help!

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Hi, all. My fiance has been shopping for a wedding suit and we are struggling to make decisions. He wants a blue suit to go with our rust colored bridesmaid dresses. We are thinking tan for the groomsmen, because he wants to stand out.
He's about 5'9" and very slim. I attached a photo of a Suit Supply suit we tried today (needs to be tailored) and a Hugo Boss suit as well. I have heard Suit Supply and J Crew have high quality suits. Any advice for fitting his body type well? He wants to look formal but not "basic." We are a pretty artsy, unique couple.

Attachments

• PXL_20210307_192312722~3.jpg
    PXL_20210307_192312722~3.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 303
  • PXL_20210308_230133881~2.jpg
    PXL_20210308_230133881~2.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 297

papado

Reaction score
Hi, all. My fiance has been shopping for a wedding suit and we are struggling to make decisions. He wants a blue suit to go with our rust colored bridesmaid dresses. We are thinking tan for the groomsmen, because he wants to stand out.
He's about 5'9" and very slim. I attached a photo of a Suit Supply suit we tried today (needs to be tailored) and a Hugo Boss suit as well. I have heard Suit Supply and J Crew have high quality suits. Any advice for fitting his body type well? He wants to look formal but not "basic." We are a pretty artsy, unique couple.

Suitsupply is a solid value and I think it definitely looks better than the Boss suit shown first. Depending on your wedding location/season there may be some other options there which are more 'seasonal' and might go better with your self described stylings/vibe (artsy/unique). You can look for a wool/silk/linen blend for a warmer weather wedding whereas you can try and find a winter weight flannel suit for colder weather. The more seasonal suiting will trend more towards the implied stylings you guys have as the blue suit you pictured is great (and also people tend to try and go too overboard on weddings) it's still a fairly basic blue suit.

As a quick aside, I'm not sure the pairing of groomsmen wearing tan and rust colored bridesmaid dresses would work but that was not your question and I won't tell y'all how to celebrate your own day!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This looks pretty good. Get the trousers hemmed and the sleeves adjusted. The other suit (the one in the other photo, not the one below) does not look good.

PXL_20210308_230133881_2.jpg

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Suitsupply is a solid value and I think it definitely looks better than the Boss suit shown first. Depending on your wedding location/season there may be some other options there which are more 'seasonal' and might go better with your self described stylings/vibe (artsy/unique). You can look for a wool/silk/linen blend for a warmer weather wedding whereas you can try and find a winter weight flannel suit for colder weather. The more seasonal suiting will trend more towards the implied stylings you guys have as the blue suit you pictured is great (and also people tend to try and go too overboard on weddings) it's still a fairly basic blue suit.

As a quick aside, I'm not sure the pairing of groomsmen wearing tan and rust colored bridesmaid dresses would work but that was not your question and I won't tell y'all how to celebrate your own day!

Thank you! Yes - they are both fairly basic blue suits. The Suit Supply suit has a bird's eye pattern, and is definitely brighter than the photo shows. So it's a *bit* more interesting.

For the rust/tan/blue idea, I attached pics to show inspiration. We want to give the guys the option to rent, so we thought it would be hard to match the right blue with the suit he buys...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210307-115359~2.png
    Screenshot_20210307-115359~2.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot_20210307-165615~2.png
    Screenshot_20210307-165615~2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot_20210307-165656~2.png
    Screenshot_20210307-165656~2.png
    885.9 KB · Views: 585

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few general points:

1) From a quality standpoint, I would choose SuitSupply over Hugo Boss, and certainly way above J-Crew. There is also the added bonus from SuSu that if you fiancé does not have a tailor, the tailoring at SuSu is likely to be better.

2) I agree w/ DWW that the bright blue suit does not look good.

3) Do not buy a suit with an off color lapel button hole. They are never a good thing.

4) Your fiancé should not need to wear a different color suit from his groomsmen to "stand out." He will be the guy saying vows, standing next to the woman in the beautiful dress, with cameras pointing at him.

5) Try to think outside the wedding matchy matchy obsession of bridal magazines.

The most elegant weddings I have been to have been of two kinds (regarding groom and groomsmen dress)
- Black tie. Real black tie, not the wedding party renting ill fitting matched tuxedos.
- Groomsmen wear coordinated suits, but not matched sets. I was a groomsman in a wedding where the groom asked his groomsmen to wear medium grey to charcoal suits and then select a classic wedding tie from Kent Wang (which he bought as groomsmen gifts). My brothers wedding, I guided him to having his groomsmen wear navy suits and he provided ties along similar lines. Both these wedding parties looked much better cheap, rented, matched suits. The biggest reason being fit. A rented suit will never fit as well a something either made for or altered for someone. And anyone worth their salt on styleforum will tell you that fit is the most important part of dressing well.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you mean the red stitching in the photo attached, I believe that's basting thread.

Ah, on a zoom in it does appear it may well be. Form the full body I thought it was a red buttonhole lol.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
A few general points:

1) From a quality standpoint, I would choose SuitSupply over Hugo Boss, and certainly way above J-Crew. There is also the added bonus from SuSu that if you fiancé does not have a tailor, the tailoring at SuSu is likely to be better.

2) I agree w/ DWW that the bright blue suit does not look good.

3) Do not buy a suit with an off color lapel button hole. They are never a good thing.

4) Your fiancé should not need to wear a different color suit from his groomsmen to "stand out." He will be the guy saying vows, standing next to the woman in the beautiful dress, with cameras pointing at him.

5) Try to think outside the wedding matchy matchy obsession of bridal magazines.

The most elegant weddings I have been to have been of two kinds (regarding groom and groomsmen dress)
- Black tie. Real black tie, not the wedding party renting ill fitting matched tuxedos.
- Groomsmen wear coordinated suits, but not matched sets. I was a groomsman in a wedding where the groom asked his groomsmen to wear medium grey to charcoal suits and then select a classic wedding tie from Kent Wang (which he bought as groomsmen gifts). My brothers wedding, I guided him to having his groomsmen wear navy suits and he provided ties along similar lines. Both these wedding parties looked much better cheap, rented, matched suits. The biggest reason being fit. A rented suit will never fit as well a something either made for or altered for someone. And anyone worth their salt on styleforum will tell you that fit is the most important part of dressing well.
Thank you so much for the info! I definitely don't want the groomsmen to be in badly fitting suits. I'm also very open to moving away from the "matchy matchy" idea. For the weddings of which you speak (minus the black tie), did the groomsmen use slightly different shades of navy? And was the groom also in navy? What did your brother tell the groomsmen to make sure they were on the right track with finding something good?
I appreciate your advice!

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info! I definitely don't want the groomsmen to be in badly fitting suits. I'm also very open to moving away from the "matchy matchy" idea. For the weddings of which you speak (minus the black tie), did the groomsmen use slightly different shades of navy? And was the groom also in navy? What did your brother tell the groomsmen to make sure they were on the right track with finding something good?
I appreciate your advice!
And would SS be a good option for the groomsmen as well?

Casaubon

Reaction score
Speaking from personal experience: my wedding suit was predominantly navy, with a very subtle check pattern in a reddish/rust hue. It was a very hot may day, so the suit was unlined and in a breathable open birdseye weave. Note, however, that some of these features are inherently more casual then what would probably be expected for a wedding in the US. I come from a society where not only suits at weddings are not a necessity, but most male guests come wearing chinos and untucked shirts. A casual suit there still looks elevated, and a tux would be ridiculously out of place.
Since you live in the US, I would advise you and your fiancé to check out Spier and Mackay. They offer, in my opinion, superior suits to all brands listed above, with a good price to boot. The cuts are classic and the fabrics beautiful. I'd probably buy their stuff exclusively were it not so difficult to get them where I live.
Good luck with the search!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Spier & Mackay is a good suggestion.

If I can offer some friendly feedback, if I had just one criticism of your fiance's Suitsupply suit, it would be that the jacket looks too short. I think it passes for a modern look, but I also think many guys look better in a longer jacket. Suitsupply suits tend to be on the very modern end of tailoring -- slim, short jackets. I think Spier & Mackay is just a touch more classic, while still appealing to younger men.

Before committing to the Suitsupply suit, I would buy two suits from Spier & Mackay in different sizes, and then try them on at home. If you'd like, you can post outfit photos here for feedback. Try to position the camera so that it's about chest level, and have your fiance stand far enough back so that we can see the full outfit. This gives some perspective to the jacket's total length.

That said, if your fiance just went ahead with the Suitsupply suit, I think that can also work. He looks good in that suit.

If your budget allows, check out The Armoury's Model 3 suit and No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line. I think both lines offer better tailoring than Suitsupply or Spier & Mackay. However, they are also a little more expensive.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
Spier & Mackay is a good suggestion.

If I can offer some friendly feedback, if I had just one criticism of your fiance's Suitsupply suit, it would be that the jacket looks too short. I think it passes for a modern look, but I also think many guys look better in a longer jacket. Suitsupply suits tend to be on the very modern end of tailoring -- slim, short jackets. I think Spier & Mackay is just a touch more classic, while still appealing to younger men.

Before committing to the Suitsupply suit, I would buy two suits from Spier & Mackay in different sizes, and then try them on at home. If you'd like, you can post outfit photos here for feedback. Try to position the camera so that it's about chest level, and have your fiance stand far enough back so that we can see the full outfit. This gives some perspective to the jacket's total length.

That said, if your fiance just went ahead with the Suitsupply suit, I think that can also work. He looks good in that suit.

If your budget allows, check out The Armoury's Model 3 suit and No Man Walks Alone's Sartoria Carrara line. I think both lines offer better tailoring than Suitsupply or Spier & Mackay. However, they are also a little more expensive.
Thank you so much! I am looking at Spier and Mackay right now, and we are loving the Mid Blue from Zignone. It feels a little more festive than the SS blue suit he tried. He is 5'9" and 145lbs. For Spier and Mackay, you recommend the slim fit in a 36R or 36S?

Attachments

• S&M.JPG
    S&M.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 588

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I am looking at Spier and Mackay right now, and we are loving the Mid Blue from Zignone. It feels a little more festive than the SS blue suit he tried. He is 5'9" and 145lbs. For Spier and Mackay, you recommend the slim fit in a 36R or 36S?

I'm not sure, to be honest. But there's a Spier & Mackay thread with many customers who have a lot of experience with the line, and they may be able to help you.

I would avoid buying anything that's final sale and can't be returned. If the company allows for a full refund on returns, buy two sizes. It helps to have choices when trying these things on.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These jackets run a little on the short side as it is. At 5’9” I would strongly advise against short unless your fiancé has very unusual proportions (very long-legged).
I am 5’10 and 145 lb and I wear 36R contemporary for Spier and Mackay. Be sure to measure his chest and waist before deciding on 36 slim. Might be 36R slim, 36R contemporary, or even 38R slim depending on his measurements. Ordering 2-3 to test fit is good advice, especially for your wedding.

Fgustaf

Reaction score
These jackets run a little on the short side as it is. At 5’9” I would strongly advise against short unless your fiancé has very unusual proportions (very long-legged).
I am 5’10 and 145 lb and I wear 36R contemporary for Spier and Mackay. Be sure to measure his chest and waist before deciding on 36 slim. Might be 36R slim, 36R contemporary, or even 38R slim depending on his measurements. Ordering 2-3 to test fit is good advice, especially for your wedding.
His measurements are
Waist: 31.5
Chest: 36.5
Shoulder: 17
Sleeve from shoulder: 22.5

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads