• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding suit for athletic build

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBG1984

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm getting married on the 11th June, I travelled to London yesterday to find a good suit. Firstly what a learning experience but also such a head ache, there's so much choice but also the price is very variable. I have however come to the conclusion that I want a semi made to measure, peak lapel (To get away from the business look), two buttons in dark navy, but that's the easy bit!

I went to a few places and I liked the D&G mode which I felt suited my body shape, I'm 6ft (184cm), 40/42 chest and 32 waist although I'm not massively keen on the price tag, £3,150 (that includes waist coat).

I'm due to go back to London next week to check a few other makers out although I was wondering if anyone can recommend particular brands that would suit my body shape? and hopefully something slightly cheaper!

Many thanks in advice for your help.

Nic

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm getting married on the 11th June, I travelled to London yesterday to find a good suit. Firstly what a learning experience but also such a head ache, there's so much choice but also the price is very variable. I have however come to the conclusion that I want a semi made to measure, peak lapel (To get away from the business look), two buttons in dark navy, but that's the easy bit!

I went to a few places and I liked the D&G mode which I felt suited my body shape, I'm 6ft (184cm), 40/42 chest and 32 waist although I'm not massively keen on the price tag, £3,150 (that includes waist coat).

I'm due to go back to London next week to check a few other makers out although I was wondering if anyone can recommend particular brands that would suit my body shape? and hopefully something slightly cheaper!

Many thanks in advice for your help.

Nic
You have my build from when i was married, a bit bigger. Unfortunately, the drop from my chest to my waist has increased 2 inches.

Dolce&Gabbana always fit me well as well, so my advice might be useful to you. From your choice so far, it seems like you are looking for a rather sleek, look, but in a fairly traditional shape, with fairly structured shoulders and a slim waist with a fairly dramatic skirt on the jacket.

I have always found that of the designer brands, Costume National always fit me pretty well, as did Valentino Uomo. Those are not inexpensive, but nothing close to 3150 GBP, which is nearly enough for a bespoke off Savile Row suit.

I think that Polo also has some models that might fit your frame well as well, and those are much less expensive, under 1/2 of the suit you mentioned.

While you are at it, you might want to look at Corneliani. Fairly widely distributed, so you should be able to find a stockist, and they have a range of models (they do, or used to, make suits for Polo), at least one of which should suit you, so to speak.

Good luck on your search your upcoming wedding.

Cheers,

Fok.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think anything above 1200 GBP for RTW is a waste of money. Close to £3000 you can get a perfectly fitting bespoke suit.

Cad & the Dandy can be an initial option, with travelling Italian tailors a notch above in prices and off the Row and some on the Row as you go up in budget.

Last edited:

Simone1

Reaction score
You should have beautiful made to measure options, which will fit your body greatly - what is your budget?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had neglected to mention MTM. For MTM, however, I would go to a reputable firm (doesn't have to be on the Row, where prices are really high these days), but it should be an established firm with a good reputation for delivering nad for good customer serivce.

The first time you do bespoke or MTM, it's a learning process, so if you decide on that route, I would do it as soon as possible, so that there is plenty of time to fix mistakes or even recut if needed.

That said, RTW does have the very important advantage of your being able to see how the suit looks, immediately. Bespoke always requires both some strong idea of what you want and good communication with a tailor. For this reason, I would urge caution since this would be your first time working with any specific tailor.

Again, good luck.

Cheers,

Fok.

BBG1984

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, budget wise I would pay 3k although ideally no more than 2.

I think made to measure sounds a better option for me, what brands/shops in London would you suggest? Anything I should watch out for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads