• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding suit (charcoal gray with purple windowpane)

aon

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm getting married soon and I was in the hunt for a nice suit for my wedding. It was a toss *************** double breast RLBL and this one.. A charcoal RLPL double breast with muted glenplaid and purple windowpane. I got this because I wanted something I could still use after the occasion. I can't see myself wearing a black double breast suit in the office/courtroom/meetings.

Is this approrpiate for a day wedding? Or should I get something more conservative? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Grenadier

Reaction score
That would be a wonderful suit for your wedding. I would pair it with a very pale lilac shirt with a white cutaway collar and a black and white glen plaid tie.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That would be a wonderful suit for your wedding. I would pair it with a very pale lilac shirt with a white cutaway collar and a black and white glen plaid tie.

I would do a white shirt with cutaway collar, and grey wedding tie with the charcoal/purple windowpane suit. (I tend to be boring though :tounge: )

Grenadier

Reaction score

I would do a white shirt with cutaway collar, and grey wedding tie with the charcoal/purple windowpane suit. (I tend to be boring though :tounge: )

I would normally agree but if the lilac was pale enough, it would be very elegant and pull in the windowpane; but I agree that a strong lilac would be too much for the occasion. Because the suit is double breasted, very little of the shirt will show. Something about this color should work:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strongly disagree with the above post. This is by no means a wedding suit, and is very inappropriate for the occasion in my humble opinion. Stolen from Will @ ASW:

"Navy blue solid suitings are best for events that will continue into the evening, with black shoes, a silver wedding tie, and the three whites, as I like to think of them. Those being the white shirt collar, a white linen handkerchief in the jacket pocket and a white gardenia or carnation as a buttonhole."

This is what I would recommend. I remember some Esquire illustration from the Hochswender book that had the groom wearing such an outfit. The suit you picked out looks too 'businessy' to my eye. Or just stick with a solid charcoal single breasted suit, white shirt, and a silvery wedding tie, and black shoes.

Last edited:

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Strongly disagree with the above post. This is by no means a wedding suit, and is very inappropriate for the occasion in my humble opinion. Stolen from Will @ ASW:

"Navy blue solid suitings are best for events that will continue into the evening, with black shoes, a silver wedding tie, and the three whites, as I like to think of them. Those being the white shirt collar, a white linen handkerchief in the jacket pocket and a white gardenia or carnation as a buttonhole."

This is what I would recommend. I remember some Esquire illustration from the Hochswender book that had the groom wearing such an outfit. The suit you picked out looks too 'businessy' to my eye. Or just stick with a solid charcoal single breasted suit, white shirt, and a silvery wedding tie, and black shoes.

While I agree that navy or charcoal would never be wrong in this situation, I have always found windowpane suits to perfect for non business functions (or more casual business functions).

P.S. Where do you live OP?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Navy Blue - works for wedding - works for business.

Looks formal enough for wedding (Charcoal Gray Windowpane already selected looks too business for me).

Wear a white, semi spread collar shirt, Silver or Glen Paid check tie, White flower in your lapel.

Skip the worry and the stress - do it simple, tasteful and timeless.

Just my two cents.:happy:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

While I agree that navy or charcoal would never be wrong in this situation, I have always found windowpane suits to perfect for non business functions (or more casual business functions).

P.S. Where do you live OP?

I agree with that completely... but not for a wedding, in my opinion. Not to knock windowpane suits, of course.

WhateverYouLike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP: Hey guys, A or B?
Reply 1: A
Reply 2: A
Replys 3-2000: Option C: Get a navy suit bro!

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That suit is perfect for a wedding, provided it fits you well. Get it tailored if not . A nice white shirt, crisp white pocket square and a light grey glen plaid or fine houndstooth tie will go with it perfectly.

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score

OP: Hey guys, A or B?
Reply 1: A
Reply 2: A
Replys 3-2000: Option C: Get a navy suit bro!

My favorite part is that some have said a windowpane suit is too businessy, but not a solid navy suit. Yet what does everyone recommend for interviews or business type things?

OP go with that suit. It is great - get a wedding tie, maybe some fun cufflinks, and enjoy.

f-tard

Reaction score

Navy Blue - works for wedding - works for business.

Looks formal enough for wedding (Charcoal Gray Windowpane already selected looks too business for me).

Wear a white, semi spread collar shirt, Silver or Glen Paid check tie, White flower in your lapel.

Skip the worry and the stress - do it simple, tasteful and timeless.

Just my two cents.:happy:

+1 Go navy! Nothing's more classy for a wedding than a midnight blue tux.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

are you drunk?

Joe Cool

Reaction score
A DB charcoal with purple windowpane suit is too businessy? WTF are some of you people talking about?

OP - your suit is killer for the occasion, rock it.

Last edited:

antikantian

Reaction score
I suggest that you definitely wear whatever you prefer to your wedding. I went with wedding standard attire of a tuxedo, but in retrospect I probably would have preferred something a little different (heck, I originally wanted to get married on the beach barefoot at a 5-star resort in the Bahamas with only 10 people, but that got vetoed quickly). It's your wedding, so you don't have to please anyone but the bride (and I guess yourself :p), so this is a great occasion to buy something you love that will have versatility for other occasions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads