• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding shoe help

Sdig14

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Apologies in advance for the short story!

I have been reading the forum for about a year and a half now and have started participating in some discussions of late, but still definitely in the learning stages of this journey.

Anyways, I was hoping to get some help for my wedding next summer. It is quite some time away still, but want to get planning and research done in order to give me lots of time to potentially need to return items for the right sizing and fit.

DETAILS: The plan is for an outdoor summer wedding, but could end up being indoors still. Thinking of doing some combination of navy suit + grey/burgundy grenadine tie or grey/charcoal suit + navy grenadine tie, but still thinking about my options there. I already have navy and burgundy grenadine ties from Sam Hober, so if I can use one of those without spending more money, great. But open to adding something in grey or another color.

I have quite a few suits for work already, so that's not my focus right now. Going to try a few lighter suits throughout this summer to see if I can find a good fit. But if anyone has any suggestions on fabrics if I decide to do something MTM here locally or online that would be great!

SHOES: This is the part I need help with. I have read pretty much every shoe thread on here, but thought it would be helpful to gather ideas in one spot. I read the entire "best value dress shoe" thread, but that is kind of subjective and figure this may be easier as I have a budgeted price in mind.

a) Budget: 1,000 USD. I likely will not have time to travel for anything MTM in person or bespoke, so likely looking for best options for RTW. I am in Canada, so can't really pay thousands to travel for any in person fittings until I can plan it into a trip later on.

b) Style/Color: I am thinking an oxford with some brogueing a burgundy or reddish brown color. I love the look of the oxblood/burgundy color and think regardless if I go with a grey or navy suit, this would still work.

c) Fit: I am an 8.5D on Brannock, barely wide. So, most shoes fit alright, only thing I would like to avoid is any lasts that seem to be really narrow or have a really high instep as my feet are pretty standard in that regard.

d) Options?: This is where I am hoping the community can help me. Looking for best options of brands at likely 1,000 USD maximum budget.

I'd love all of your input, if you managed to get to the bottom of this thing. If you have any suggestions on suits, colors, shoes or anything in between, I'd love to hear them as I am still new to the scene!

Cheers,

Eric

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A lot of people like Carmina (I've never worn them). Alden is a classic American brand. Frankly any shoe thread would have included countless brands well within your price point. You could then check each brand's websites to see if they had models you liked and stores convenient to you. Good luck on the search and wedding.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With that budget alot of shoes are within range.

If you like burgundy/color 8, i guess Alden is the classic and 1000 USD will get you a pair of cordovan shoes. Carmina also does color 8.

Another option could be löf & tung or Enzo Bonafe MTO through SF affiliate skoaktiebolaget. @Leaves can probably help you out. Or TLB or yanko mto through @Skolyx.

Good luck with the wedding planning!

standaloneprotein

Reaction score
With so many expenses, plans, and things to worry about I will discourage you from spending too much time (and money) on choosing your shoes. People will pay attention to you as a whole and hopefully all the attention and all eyes on the bride. Instead, try asking what can you do (to have a proactive role) to help with the wedding and your soon to be wife. A nice haircut, beard grooming and pressed suit will make a more powerful impression than your watch or shoes.

A wedding is for a day, marriage is for a lifetime.

Sdig14

Reaction score
With that budget alot of shoes are within range.

If you like burgundy/color 8, i guess Alden is the classic and 1000 USD will get you a pair of cordovan shoes. Carmina also does color 8.

Another option could be löf & tung or Enzo Bonafe MTO through SF affiliate skoaktiebolaget. @Leaves can probably help you out. Or TLB or yanko mto through @Skolyx.

Good luck with the wedding planning!
Thanks for the help!

I have looked at Lof & Tung, EB, TLB Mallorca, Y by Yeossal, AM and a few others so far. Still researching a bunch of others.\

My only concern with MTO is if I do not like them, I doubt they can be returned. Would have to try to sell them. At least with RTW, might cost me $50 to ship back overseas, but minor cost to find the right pair.

As someone that has not participated in anything MTO or GMTO, is there anything I can do on my end typically to ensure they will fit or at least figure out if they won't fit prior to order?

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I think your remit is a bit broad. Indoor/outdoor, blue or maybe grey suits, etc. Since you are orienting towards brown/oxblood leather I would assume that it's not a very formal wedding, albeit still stylish.

For 1k you should be able to buy very nice shoes indeed. If you already have a suit in mind that would help narrow it down.

Lastly, how hot is it likely to be, in summer, where you're getting married?

Sdig14

Reaction score
I think your remit is a bit broad. Indoor/outdoor, blue or maybe grey suits, etc. Since you are orienting towards brown/oxblood leather I would assume that it's not a very formal wedding, albeit still stylish.

For 1k you should be able to buy very nice shoes indeed. If you already have a suit in mind that would help narrow it down.

Lastly, how hot is it likely to be, in summer, where you're getting married?
Pretty much exactly your description. Not formal at all, just want to look stylish and the best version of myself, ha. Small wedding, only about 50 people (or hopefully less) on the west coast of Canada, so will likely be about 25 to 30 degrees celsius in September. So it will be hot, but nothing too crazy.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're scope is too broad and your price range is likely too high. Stick to the $350-500 range and you'll find plenty of styles and brands that could work. Tons of brands to choose from so pick what you like best, but I went with Carmina for my wedding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads