• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding reception outfit

LoneSurvivor

Reaction score
Hello, new member here. I was looking for a place to ask my style question and found this site. I hope you all can give me some good suggestions.

My question is: I am going to a wedding reception soon. I asked the groom if it was formal or casual attire. He told me its up to me.

I have already decided on a dark grey long sleeve shirt to wear. My question is what color of pants, shoes and tie would look best?

I already own these color of pants: Black, Navy, Brown/Dark Khaki, Tan/Light Khaki, Blueish Gray/Slate
I already own these shoes: Black dress, Dark Brown loafers and Cherry Brown loafers
I already own these ties: Solid black (I'm willing to buy another tie..not a big deal)

What combination of the grey shirt/pants/tie would look the BEST? I'm open to buying another tie if needed

Please help me ..any and all replies would be greatly appreciated!

P12OFIT

Reaction score
Most members will probably recommend ditching the grey shirt for either a white or blue shirt. Wearing a tie without a jacket is considered a faux pas. You'd likely benefit from a more versatile tie as well.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue or pink shirt NOT grey. No tie.

LoneSurvivor

Reaction score
I have a light blue shirt and a white shirt now.

So here's what I have:

Shirts:
Black
Dark Grey
Light Blue
White

Pants:
Black
Slate(Gray with a hint of blue)
Navy
Tan(Khaki)
Brown(Dark Khaki)

Ties:
Solid black
Solid white
Dark grey/light grey/white (checkered pattern)
Dark blue/light blue/light grey(checkered pattern)

Shoes:
Black oxfords
Black Loafers
Dark Brown loafers
Cherry Brown loafers

Out of all this, what do you feel is the best outfit?

Joshgtv

Reaction score
Light blue shirt, tan trousers, no tie (unless you come up with a jacket, preferably navy) and either brown or cherry shoes, provided you have a belt to match.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't say without knowing what time of day the reception is. because evening colors (not the shirt) typically should be dark.

As an aside, reddish shoes do not require a reddish belt. (Feel free to read the article about belts.)

Last edited:

LoneSurvivor

Reaction score
Well guys it was an evening reception starting at 5pm. I chose to wear the blue shirt with blue/white/grey plaid tie and the slate pants with black belt and black shoes.

It was a success as I got at least a handful fo compliments that I can remember on how I looked.

Thanks for everything guys!!!

irishsweaters

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you.

For weddings I usually just wear a tweed waistcoat with a suitable shirt, pants and necktie. It just adds a special event feel to an outfit for me.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Insightful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads