• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding planning update: Please help me convince my fiancee that my groomsmen do not have to be carb

quaker13

Reaction score
As i get further and further into this wedding planning i am realizing how much i hate the idea of both the groomsmen and bridesmaids wearing the same dress and suit. my fiancee is putting up a fair bit of resistance to me pursuing this unorthodox measure, but i would appreciate any help the forum can give in the form of picture examples of not so matchy matchy groomsmen suit execution. i will be wearing a charcoal grey 3 piece via suit supply. i go in for measurement this weekend. the first link is the look i am going for the 2nd pic is the look i would hate my groomsmen to have

http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/video/jeremy-renner-part-1-72712/1411565/

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You are fighting the good fight, sir. I'd try to get a better fitting collar situation that JR has in that vid, and no black tie for your wedding, but you are on the right track.

Don't have any pictures to help your cause, sorry. But I went to a friend's wedding last year where they just told the guys to wear grey 3 piece suits. I thought it looked great. When I google "wedding pictures" I just get a stream of matchy catastrophes like the one you have posted there.

quaker13

Reaction score
You are fighting the good fight, sir. I'd try to get a better fitting collar situation that JR has in that vid, and no black tie for your wedding, but you are on the right track.
Don't have any pictures to help your cause, sorry. But I went to a friend's wedding last year where they just told the guys to wear grey 3 piece suits. I thought it looked great. When I google "wedding pictures" I just get a stream of matchy catastrophes like the one you have posted there.

thanks for the encouragement brother

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Perhaps your girlfriend is a visual person that needs to see a picture of precisely what it is you are proposing? Simply proposing a "bring your own suit" look for the groomsmen does not sound great, but a picture of what you are proposing that has been well executed may get the job done for you.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Perhaps your girlfriend is a visual person that needs to see a picture of precisely what it is you are proposing?  Simply proposing a "bring your own suit" look for the groomsmen does not sound great, but a picture of what you are proposing that has been well executed may get the job done for you.

That's a great idea. If only the OP had thought of it.

my fiancee is putting up a fair bit of resistance to me pursuing this unorthodox measure, but i would appreciate any help the forum can give in the form of picture examples of not so matchy matchy groomsmen suit execution.

quaker13

Reaction score
i want each of my 3 groomsman to wear a charcoal grey suit and i will pick out the shirt and tie combo as part of my groomsmen's gift. maybe one person wears a solid purple tie and blue contrast collar shirt; another wears burgundy tie maybe with a paisely pocket square...etc. don't really have a specific motif yet

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i want each of my 3 groomsman to wear a charcoal grey suit and i will pick out the shirt and tie combo as part of my groomsmen's gift. maybe one person wears a solid purple tie and blue contrast collar shirt; another wears burgundy tie maybe with a paisely pocket square...etc. don't really have a specific motif yet
If you are going to provide them with shirts as a gift, please do not just buy the shirts and hope they fit. You should go shopping with them to make sure they are getting the right size. A good fit is important to pulling this off well.

tactical1

Reaction score
You're going to lose this argument regardless if you get what you want or not.

It ain't your day, pal. You're a prop in the play she's been planning for decades. Resentment lasts a lifetime. Your groomsmen don't care and you need to learn to pick your fights better.

Good luck with this.

quaker13

Reaction score

It ain't your day, pal. You're a prop in the play she's been planning for decades. Resentment lasts a lifetime. Your groomsmen don't care and you need to learn to pick your fights better.

Good luck with this.
Maybe I am just an obstinate kinda guy, but I don't think it's fair for her complete takeover every aspect of OUR wedding. I think that makes for a bad precedent and in life you can't always get what you want. I am all about compromise, but I told before i proposed and after she is not getting total carte blanche of the weddding planning

ahk11

Reaction score

Good luck with this.

This.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, I think we can try and help the OP in convincing his fiancee' that non-HS-prom-looking groomsmen is best for everyone without giving him relationship advice? Having never met the OP or his fiancee', let's leave that part to him.

Agreed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads