• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding party conundrum

lawschooldropout

Reaction score
I've looked through the old posts, nothing quite address my question, so I am turning to you folks for some wisdom. I am trying to figure out how to dress my groomsmen; I have advocated for allowing them to dress individually, alas I have been overruled (and have decided this is not a point worth taking a stand on). The task now is to get them all into fairly similar attire -- it is a formal wedding, so this means tuxedos.

The main issue I am concerned with is the cost of doing this. If I were a wealthier man I would pay for this myself, unfortunately my bank account is not flush with cash. The wedding is already requiring the groomsmen to travel a great distance, and if they are going to have to add the cost of a tuxedo I was hoping to at least give them an option that allows them not to rent.

Perhaps a few of you have dealt with similar issues or know of someone who has. Is there anyone that knows a creative option to keep the costs reasonable?

I have gone through blacktieguide.com as well as some other sites, has anyone used any of the recommended tux sellers there?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of the groomsmen already own tuxedos? My cousin let all his groomsmen wear their own tuxedos; each of us paid for the rental of a bowtie and matching cummerbund.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how many are we talking about??

btinl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been dealing with a similar situation for my wedding. Unfortunately, I've decided to go with rental tuxedos for my groomsmen. It's the simplest solution.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
this is why my groomsmen are just wearing grey suits. im cheap
laugh.gif

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i'm not married, but if/when i get married, 1 best man(my bro) and that's it!

lawschooldropout

Reaction score
I've got 4 groomsmen. I think that one owns a tuxedo, but to be honest I'm not even positive on that.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why rental tux places exist. Me, I'm having my Groomsman wear their own tuxedo s within guidelines I supply...fortunately I was not fought on this

viator

Reaction score
I say when a person agrees to be in the wedding party, he's agreeing to pay the cost of renting a tuxedo for the occasion, just as the bridesmaids agree to purchase a dress. I would just find a reasonably priced shop that has decent rental tuxedos.

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Telling them that it's black tie and they are responsible for their own is fine, telling them they have to get a specific tux is a dick move. As long as they are dressed appropriately formal, and have certain matching elements (if you want all in green cummerbunds, or you want to specify that the black tie must be a bow) you should be set. However, considering buying and renting are often similar prices they should at least have the option of spending on something they'll get to keep.

lawschooldropout

Reaction score
Originally Posted by makewayhomer
Also its unclear what you're trying to avoid. Ru looking for something cheaper than renting?

Ah, sorry for the confusion on that. I am trying to find a way that offers them an opportunity to purchase a similar tux to the rental option or at least not make their only option spending $200 on a rental. I don't know if this middle ground exists. The style I am looking at is fairly standard: single breasted, two button, satin lapels, matching black satin bow-tie. Uncertain about vest/cummerbund and shirt details as of yet.

I suppose I was looking to see if anyone had experience in trying to offer options to the groomsmen. Perhaps I am dwelling unnecessarily on trying to allow for some sort of return (meaning a tux they can wear in the future) as an option.

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
No offense to the powers that be that are requiring tuxes at your wedding but it's such a bad thing to ask for. If people have to rent tuxes, they end up wearing these super cheap suits that have been pissed by a hundred prom goers over the years. You are so much better off wearing navy suits. I know because I've done it. Please do everyone the favor or, at least, allowing them to wear normal black shoes and not the rental joints and not some cheap patent leather they pick up at men's warehouse. Sorry for the rant. I feel for your situation but I'm also certain you will have a great wedding regardless of what your boys are wearing.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Since you are a member, is it wrong to assume that you are dead set against rentals and share the view that most here have: "invest" in a good tux? Are you sure you're not projecting this on your groomsmen? Do they even care to buy one/have other opportunities to wear one? Do they even care about sartorial rules? Just have them rent. Nothing will be cheaper and it's fairer to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads