• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Party attire help

pkcynik

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am getting married in May and have a few men in my wedding party. I am having some trouble figuring out what is best for them to wear. There are two brides, so appropriate menswear is somewhat out of our province, and no groom for the men to match. The wedding party is mixed men and women.

The bridesmaids will be wearing knee length cocktail dresses in muted metallics (translation: light greys and neutrals). Each one is picking her own, so it's not like a cookie bridesmaid dress for each. I would like the men to look good in combo, but they don't all necessarily need to be wearing exactly the same thing either. It is a spring wedding at a retreat/summer camp area. Ceremony is outdoor. Our dress code for guests will be something like "summer chic cocktail attire." Guests will probably be asked to wear sportcoats with tie optional. I would like to make the best use of clothes the men in the wedding party might already have and if I ask them to get something it be minimal (like a jacket they could reuse). Someone had suggested light colored trousers (like khaki) and a navy jacket but that sounded a bit too preppy for the guys' style and the wedding itself. Some suggestions have been light gray pants and gray vest with bowtie, light pants with a coordinated sportcoat (e.g. all grey or a spring color) no tie. Any thoughts on what will be appropriate and also not break their bank? (Any ideas also on clothiers to peruse also accepted). I should mention they are all in early-mid thirties, some just starting careers. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'd have each man wear his best grey or blue suit and a white shirt. You can gift them each a different wedding tie (you can look up what those are on the forum). Pick a simple flower or boutonniere to further distinguish them as members of the wedding party if you like. At the end, they should look like they dressed to the same standard, yet not appear completely uniform with each other.

pkcynik

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, must be one of those days ...
Thanks for the links-indeed a noobie question. I had looked at the first link before posting and I guess I was hoping for a little more guidance on the mismatched trouser/sportcoat look than that offers. If there is another obvious link I've missed, I'm willing to be schooled again.

Last edited:

pkcynik

Reaction score
I'd have each man wear his best grey or blue suit and a white shirt. You can gift them each a different wedding tie (you can look up what those are on the forum). Pick a simple flower or boutonniere to further distinguish them as members of the wedding party if you like. At the end, they should look like they dressed to the same standard, yet not appear completely uniform with each other.
So sportcoat or vest would be out of the question casual/tacky?

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

If the male guests will be wearing sports coats, the men in the wedding party should probably wear suits.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just vest definitely tacky. If you tell them sportcoat, you're a whole lot more likely to get some fail than if you follow mafoofan's suggestion, which will avoid the worst disasters.

I would add to foo's suggestions that you ask them to wear black shoes and a black belt (if they're wearing a belt).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads