• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding outfit help required

Hobbs

Reaction score
To put this into context, I came across this site doing a seach for wedding suits on Google, having been looking for some general tips on style and suitable colours.

As evinced by the length of time between joining the site and making my first post, I've been stunned by the level of detail and knowledge put forward by posters here. For me, buying suits to date has been guiding more by brand name rather than the more qualitative criteria I've found on this forum.

I own two Armani suits and don't have regular cause for wearing suits in general. For my impending marriage I would like to put a little more thought into what I buy and so am heading over to London for a weekend with the sole intention of purchasing the whole outfit.

I'm 5 11", weigh 182lbs with a 31" waist, and 50 jacket size.

I'm leaning towards a two-button, dark navy suit; these Sweeney shoes, a Macclesfield tie. Beyond that I'm still cluless though and would appreciate suggestions for places to go for a suit, anything else I should look for, and potential shirt colours (to complement a pale Irish complexion!). Willing to spend ~£1300 on the suit.

Thanks in advance.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
A white shirt for the groom is pretty close to required, unless the wedding is in a relaxed locale, or you just want to buck tradition for whatever reason.

Please, please, (please!) rethink the shoes. :shudder:

leon12

Reaction score
Those shoes are scary ugly. I would suggest finding something a little more "classic" from here www.plal.com, with C&J being your best bet.

Hobbs

Reaction score
Fair enough on the shoes, will have a more in depth look at the Crockett and Jones selection.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, the shoes are hideous, but you're making a good choice by going with a navy suit. I screwed myself by choosing dark grey. While I think grey will be more useful for me in the long run, it's also harder to make a grey suit look dynamic when you're stuck wearing a white shirt for the occasion. I'd love to wear one of the wedding ties advocated by Manton, but I think I'll wind up looking too monochromatic.

Would you consider brown shoes? It's what I'm wearing, but it's probably not as proper. I'm sure Manton can instruct on the matter .

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Yes I'd love to wear one of the wedding ties advocated by Manton, but I think I'll wind up looking too monochromatic. .

I wouldn't worry. But if you are, you can always get a blue and white or silver wedding tie.

Would you consider brown shoes? It's what I'm wearing, but it's probably not as proper. I'm sure Manton can instruct on the matter.
No, no, no.

Hobbs

Reaction score
Would you consider brown shoes? It's what I'm wearing, but it's probably not as proper. I'm sure Manton can instruct on the matter .

It's not really something I've considered to be honest mafoofan. On leon12's prompting I quite like the Crockett & Jones Aintree shoes.

What kind of white shirt are you going to wear? I was thinking of a Turnbull & Asser but need to see how they look on me first.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I wouldn't worry. But if you are, you can always get a blue and white or silver wedding tie.

I suppose if I did a silver or b/w wedding tie, I could spruce things up with a bright flower and an interesting pocket square.

No, no, no.

Is that "No, no, no, don't worry about wearing brown shoes," or "No, no, no, don't wear brown shoes!"?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Is that "No, no, no, don't worry about wearing brown shoes," or "No, no, no, don't wear brown shoes!"?

Do you have to ask?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hobbs
What kind of white shirt are you going to wear? I was thinking of a Turnbull & Asser but need to see how they look on me first.

I'll be wearing a white shirt with a spread collar and French cuffs made by Anna Matuozzo. I would worry less about the brand of your shirt, and find one that fits right and looks good. The price of a RTW Turnbull shirt makes it a really bad value proposition in my mind. Moreover, if you're just looking for a white shirt, you won't really be utilizing Turnbull for what they're best at.

Do you have to ask?

Apparently! Anyway, it's too late: they're antique chestnut and fabulous.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
they're antique chestnut and fabulous.

No doubt, but inappropriate for a wedding.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Yes, the shoes are hideous, but you're making a good choice by going with a navy suit. I screwed myself by choosing dark grey. While I think grey will be more useful for me in the long run, it's also harder to make a grey suit look dynamic when you're stuck wearing a white shirt for the occasion. I'd love to wear one of the wedding ties advocated by Manton, but I think I'll wind up looking too monochromatic.

A grey suit with white shirt and grey tie producing a monochromatic look actually looks superb on some people, usually those with dark hair and a tan. Cary Grant was always wearing it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No doubt, but inappropriate for a wedding.

Well, I've always wanted to be a rebel.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
A grey suit with white shirt and grey tie producing a monochromatic look actually looks superb on some people, usually those with dark hair and a tan. Cary Grant was always wearing it.

Maybe, but it's not a look I particularly admire. I haven't ditched the idea, but I'm exploring the alternativies. I think once you've strayed from a fully proper and formal wedding, the 'rules' become a lot more discretionary. If I look tasteful and elegant, I'll be happy.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
M, you can get a blue and white, or blue and silver, weddiing tie. Those look great with gray suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics