• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Italy- Tuxedo material

stephenwit

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im new to forums but hoping to get some advice!

I am getting married away in Italy in the summer and want to wear a Sharp black Tuxedo. Would you have any suggestions as to what material is best? I want it to be completely black and not light black as some materiels appear to be.
I'm getting mixed reviews on wool, people saying it holds in head and others saying its breathable. I have been looking at a virgin wool tuxedo but not sure if this is any better or worse. I also toyed with the idea of getting a quarter or unlined Tuxedo but was warned by tailors that I could sacrifice shape. Im from Ireland and don't have any experience of suits in hot countries nor do many of the tailors I've visited.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Tim Beasley

Reaction score
Hi Stephen,
If your goal is to be comfortable during your summer wedding then I would strongly suggest a blend of wool & mohair. Typically the blend is executed with more breathability than most 100% extra fine wools.

However, the only downfall may be the dry hand ( feel ) that this may present itself as a final garment. This will not make change the saturation strength of the black coloring, however, in photos, especially in dim lighting, the fabric will not have a lustrous sheen that many of our clients enjoy with their formal suitings made by us.

I hope this helps. You can always reach out to me personally if I can help further.
Tim

thomas_finney

Reaction score
Hey Stephenwit

If you're looking for a super dark black an English mill called Huddersfield claims to have "the blackest black", it's even the name of the cloth. It's a great 100% wool faille weave fabric and makes up well in a tuxedo

Otherwise, I would suggest a wool/mohair blend, that's what was used for James Bond's tuxedos. The mill that supplied the fabric for Bond's costumes used to be called William Halstead, and is now sold by a company called Standeven. check out their British Mohair or Capetown books.

Hope this helps!

THOMAS FINNEY
www.thomasfinney.com
@thomas_finney

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads