1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding - Groomsmen in Bow Ties, Groom in a Necktie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by DavidML, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

OK, I'll grant that bow ties worn with suits are eccentric. I don't see why that's a problem for my position. The issue is whether bows with suits can be elegant, since you think that a groom or groomsman's wearing one to a wedding is a mistake. I maintain that--worn with DB or a vested suit--they can be elegant. Just because something is eccentric doesn't make it inelegant. And at a wedding, the wedding party can wear whatever it wants, so long as it's elegant.

2. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Yes, much better that their suits do not match.

I would be concerned that the lounge with the bow tie would look like an "imitation" tux...

3. connor09

connor09 Senior member

for black tie affairs, you really need to wear bow ties with your dinner jackets

4. sborg

sborg Well-Known Member

It's your wedding, you can do whatever you want, bow ties for groomsmen and ties for you.

5. DavidML

DavidML Active Member

Except it's not a black tie affair.

6. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

[​IMG]

7. DavidML

DavidML Active Member

That's exactly the look I'm going for.

8. jeff13007

jeff13007 Senior member

Are the bow ties going to be navy blue with green accents too?

9. DavidML

DavidML Active Member

In theory. I haven't actually selected the ties yet.

10. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Those people at the wedding never heard of this fictional character.

Don't put your wedding party in a uniform. It looks stuoid.

11. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Sadly, in my experience even the most perfectly matched suit and tie will provide insufficient camoflage for the groom. Try as I might to completely blend in, my bride, the officiant and all of the guests still managed to figure out who I was.

12. DavidML

DavidML Active Member

Hercule Poirot? I bet they have.

And no, it's not a uniform. They are wearing different suits.

13. DavidML

DavidML Active Member

14. Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle Well-Known Member

My wedding is coming up in October of this year, and while I have the 3 piece suit down, I presently planned to wear a T&A royal oxford white FC shirt, with a silver small box Drakes tie I got from Mr. Porter. Groomsmen will be wearing either solid navy or solid charcoal lounge suits, with TML ties, gifted.

After reading this thread, I am now considering wearing perhaps a small patterned or silver hand-tied bow tie as the groom. And I would keep the groomsmen in the long ties. My suit is a very dark, faint herringbone charcoal, Samuelsohn Gable. It has peak lapels, with a DB peak lapel waistcoat, and double fwd pleated pants with D-ring side adjusters. Thoughts?

15. DonfromthePI

DonfromthePI New Member

I like the idea of your three-piece charcoal suit matched with silver bow tie.

Nice touch on the trouser tabs, too. [​IMG]

16. GBR

GBR Senior member

Bow ties smack of costume - and why do you want to "distinguish yourself". Most people will recognise the groom (or else they are at the wrong wedding) and putting them in fancy dress does nothing for their esteem and tells us much about you.

17. pdxmatt

pdxmatt Member

In a similar situation as the OP here. I am a groomsman in an upcoming wedding: charcoal suits(non-matching), white shirts, black belts, black shoes.. The bride wants bow ties of differing but similar patterns for the men. I'm wondering what is an appropriate material for the bow ties? Also I'm planning on going spread collar for the shirt...any other recommendations would be appreciated.