• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Gift Etiquette

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't go to many weddings, but I have two coming up within the next couple of months. In the past I have always given money in a card as a gift, but I have always been unsure how much to give. What is appropriate as to where it is generous, however not appearing like a pompous baller? For reference one of the weddings is my cousin's who, for some reason has always been jealous of me and the other is a very good friend.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
If I'm giving money I sort of take a stab at how much they're spending per person, double that (me and Mrs. Piob) and then add some sort of premium on that I think will be significant to them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't know how much their wedding costs. I have no idea about those kinds of things.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Don't you specialize in valuation? :confused:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Figure meal costs... If you are eating country club steaks and lobster it would be probably $75-$150 a person in costs.
Banquet chicken and bbq, obviously less per person in cost.

You should get an idea of costs based on where they are having it and what the meal choices are

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can somebody give me just a dollar amounts ignoring wedding costs?

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I give between $150-200 per guest, per wedding. This applies to the NYC area. The lesser amount applies to remarriages.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What do you mean "per guest"? As in me? Like I said, I want to appear generous but bot an elitist asshole.

Last edited:

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still would think its generous. 2010 was kinda the beginning of the recession and now we are just out of it. For a cousin it might be a little high, Id give like $100-150. For the good friend, $200 easy

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't go to many weddings, but I have two coming up within the next couple of months. In the past I have always given money in a card as a gift, but I have always been unsure how much to give. What is appropriate as to where it is generous, however not appearing like a pompous baller? For reference one of the weddings is my cousin's who, for some reason has always been jealous of me and the other is a very good friend.

Buy **** from their registry.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads