• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Gift Etiquette

ehkay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you should just print this thread, put it in a nice card, and tell them that you heard that it's the thought that counts.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, update!! I found out my father is giving my cousin $500. I shouldn't give more than that, right?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Ok, update!! I found out my father is giving my cousin $500. I shouldn't give more than that, right?

You should offer to place the card on the gift table for him then open it up and add your name to the card.

juncopardner

Reaction score
Bumping this 'cause I have a similar question and don't really feel like it needs a new thread.

I'm in the wedding party for a wedding this weekend and am wondering what to spend. The wedding is in the Shenendoah Valley (ie, not a baller part of the country). A lot of their friends are fairly low earners working in restaurants, etc. The wedding itself is pretty cheap.

I'm wavering between $75-100. I feel like $100 may be double what others are giving and I would feel tacky by comparison. I do have a date but she is also friends with them so it's not really a true +1 as she would have been invited anyway. Thoughts?

I know this doesn't sound like much to the NYC crowd but ya know, we're a bunch of yokels down here.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bumping this 'cause I have a similar question and don't really feel like it needs a new thread.

I'm in the wedding party for a wedding this weekend and am wondering what to spend. The wedding is in the Shenendoah Valley (ie, not a baller part of the country). A lot of their friends are fairly low earners working in restaurants, etc. The wedding itself is pretty cheap. 

[COLOR=FF00AA]I'm wavering between $75-100.[/COLOR] I feel like $100 may be double what others are giving and I would feel tacky by comparison. I do have a date but she is also friends with them so it's not really a true +1 as she would have been invited anyway. Thoughts?

I know this doesn't sound like much to the NYC crowd but ya know, we're a bunch of yokels down here.

Then there is your answer.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh, others wont find out what you are giving. Why would it be tacky to give $100, when others dont know. If they ask, lie. Its actually more tacky to ask what you gave. Just say "money". Im sure the couple would very much appreciate the gift.

juncopardner

Reaction score
True i guess my fear is that theyd see me give 100 then another groomsman give 50 and it might make him look bad in their eyes.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

True i guess my fear is that theyd see me give 100 then another groomsman give 50 and it might make him look bad in their eyes.

Why? They won't open the envelopes/cards there. Just give what you can and don't stress it.

Sleeves345

Reaction score
Just give what you can and don't stress it.
This is the answer to the entire thread.

When I got married, the amount of money given never changed the way I percieved my guests. Even less so did someone's gift change the way I percieved someone who didn't give as much. The degree to which I like you isn't tied to how much money you have.

Likewise, I was shocked when some people told me to keep a record of what my guests gave me at my wedding so I would know how much to give at theirs. That's BS. It isn't a game of one-upmanshp or keeping up with the Joneses. I give people a nice gift or an amount of money based on what I can afford. Nobody needs to be concerned with anything more than that.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why don't you put the money/check in an envelope? That way no one knows what's being given?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Why don't you put the money/check in an envelope? That way no one knows what's being given?

Wait.......this ain't a given?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads