1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wedding garb

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mbc, May 1, 2003.

1. mbc

mbc Senior Member

Late this May I'll be going to Reno, of all places, with my girlfriend to a wedding.. it's a highschool friend of hers, and I doubt I'll know anyone else at this thing. I'm 22, my girlfriend is 20, and the bride and groom are of same age, so I imagine a decent portion of the guests will be as well.

The invitation specified "semi formal", and in my ignorance, I don't really know what that means. Any thoughts on what I should wear? I need a new suit anyways so assume I'll be picking up new threads for this shindig.

For reference, I'm 6'1", 160lbs, dirty blond hair and fair skin.

2. Nick M

Nick M Distinguished Member

Traditionally, semi-formal is a tuxedo, but to most people, it's a suit and tie, and to others, a dress shirt and slacks. (What's the world coming to? I mean, really...) [​IMG] To be on the safe side, you could just ask the bride or groom what they're expecting. Otherwise, a dark suit, white shirt, white pocket square, and classy - but vibrant and distinctive - woven silk tie never fails for such an occasion... Nick.

3. mbc

mbc Senior Member

Hm. If semi-formal is a tuxedo, then what's "formal"?

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

"Traditionally", formal eveningwear is a tail coat (aka the penguin suit). The tuxedo apparently caused a huge uproar when it made its first appearance at the Tuxedo Club (NYC) in the late 1800's, a casual ensemble comparable to the tux shirt and jeans combo that seems popular these days, I assume. Of course, I don't know that anyone who hadn't just pulled a latter day Encino Man today who would say that a tux is semi-formal. Semiformal is commonly taken to mean a business suit. Casual is a sportsjacket and (non-matching) trousers. But it would be foolhardy to assume that everyone knows these conventions. When in doubt, it's best to ask. I personally like to take liberties. If someone writes "casual", I'll invariably wear jeans, and just throw a slim-cut jacket (black or pinstripe blue) over the whole deal for a Strokes mixed with Ramones effect. At a wedding, however, a dark suit with the proper (but not arch) accoutrements is usually appropriate.