• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Dress Advice (Charcoal suit, Split toe shoes?)

drPheta

Reaction score
I'm new, but I did a TON of reading before deciding on what to wear to my fall wedding. I know this topic has been beat to death, but I still have questions. So, thanks for looking into this and helping out.

For starters, this is what I envision my suit being (BTW, I'm about 5' 9" and fit a 36S Zegna OTR and would need the waist brought in a bit for a better fit... a 36R Joseph Abboud fit me pretty well, but still needed tayloring).

Charcoal mid-weight worsted wool (Super 150)
Single Breasted 2 button
Peaked Lapel (moderate width)
Buff or light grey waistcoat with Glenplaid or Houndstooth Tie for ceremony (morning church ceremony)
Charcoal waistcoat (for evening if budget allows) Silver Tie for reception (evening reception)

On to the questions:

1. For shoes I've been wondering about how these "less formal" shoes would do? Have them shined up real nice. I don't see much in favor is split toe shoes, but those seem to be a classy and sleek set for the wedding.
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1208_1_40000000001_-1

2. Waistcoat: single breasted or double breasted? With or without lapel (I believe DB pretty much means a lapel is necessary)?

3. I see peaked lapels are recommended for a wedding, but I feel like it's almost impossible to find unless I get the suit MTM. So, with my initial budget being $500 for the suit now moving up to $1000, would I be able to afford a MTM suit to the above criteria?

No one at my wedding is a fashion guru, and I'm certain a simple charcoal suit with some accessories will be fine. And, even though most wedding magazine and parties do it, I am 100% against renting a tux. My goal is to look crisp for this wedding, and have a suit that I will be able to use for a long time. This will be my first real quality suit (my old ones are like 5 years old, junky $200 on sale, fused, low quality suits). I don't work in banking, so I won't be wearing the suit for anything other than formal gatherings (weddings, functions, dinners, etc.). I just want to look good and feel good while doing so. I told my groomsmen to wear a simple charcoal suit (chances are they're notched lapels), as long as the color is close enough to what I'll be wearing (either renting, buying, or using what they currently have).

PS. Future wife is giving me free reign on my suit selection.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Park Avenue is more appropriate but its your wedding. Congratulations and may you have many happy years.
Welcome to Styleforum.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, for $1k you should be able to get a MTM suit made. Your choices look solid and versatile, so the suit would serve you well for years. A notch lapel is more versatile than the peak, but you will be fine with the peak.

I don't care for the split toes, and as MOL says, an AE Park Ave type will be more "appropriate". I would look at a wholecut or austerity brogue, but this is all just personal opinion. The Park Ave is the most versatile in terms of future utility.

Oh, and enjoy the free reign (while it lasts).

Last edited:

drPheta

Reaction score
I was just about to ask where to go for a MTM suit? I live in Boston, BTW. Anyone have any recommendations for a taylor in the area?

malat

Reaction score
Don't feel boxed into convention and peak lapels, waist coat, etc. I wore a nice (Zegna) modern and less conventional gray glen-plaid suit with notch lapels for my wedding. I also wore dark chocolate wingtips instead of the more trite formal "wedding" shoes. Wear what you want/like. I get a lot of post-wedding use out of the suit and shoes as well. My choices below.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was just about to ask where to go for a MTM suit? I live in Boston, BTW. Anyone have any recommendations for a taylor in the area?

I would look at a MTM Samuelsohn. Look up a local Boston retailer, or perhaps someone will chime in. They do sales and $250 off discounts for trunk shows fairly regularly.

drPheta

Reaction score
Thank you for the recommendation. I looked up Samuelsohn, and Neiman Marcus seems to offer them. How much do they typically run for a 3 piece suit?

I'm not 100% fixed on peaked lapels, but I do like the waistcoat. Thanks for all the feedback.

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 Pieces start at around $1k, and can go up with fabric choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads