• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding coming up -- Looking for a light gray suit

pokey07

Reaction score
I have a wedding coming up in a few weeks and I've been looking for a wool (maybe tropical?) light gray suit. I'd like to find something slim that I can wear with a white shirt, colorful tie of some sort, and go sockless with some loafers. First off, is going sockless with a wool suit a bad idea? I see it done a lot with cotton and linen suits, but I'm not sure how that would work with wool. This is the color (and pretty much the look I'm going for
Ultimate+Gray+Suit+Review.jpg
I'm willing to go a little darker, but I already have a 346 charcoal Brooks Brother suit. I'd like to spend ~$400. I found one at Banana Republic http://tinyurl.com/3wza285 and LL Bean Signature http://tinyurl.com/3vpayzm . I'm worried about both when it comes to fit though. Thanks all!

nelly

Reaction score
Sock-less is not a suit issue, but a shoe issue. Depending on the break in your pants, the look of going sockless would largely depend on what type of shoes you're wearing. It would look ridiculous with oxfords, casually appealing with driving loafers.

BR is a joke.

pokey07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nelly
Sock-less is not a suit issue, but a shoe issue. Depending on the break in your pants, the look of going sockless would largely depend on what type of shoes you're wearing. It would look ridiculous with oxfords, casually appealing with driving loafers. BR is a joke.
I was thinking something along the lines of Bass Weejuns? Good to know it's less about the suit though. haha, I figured BR was a joke. I'm guessing the LL Bean will be along the same line.

pokey07

Reaction score
I may actually just order both an Indochino and the LL Bean hope one of them works.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you need the suit in a few weeks don't get an Indochino. You will almost certainly need to make adjustments and apply for a remake if it is your first suit with them. So you will need to allow for at least 6-8 weeks before you get a well-fitting suit. Even after the first remake, chances are it still may not be perfect.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
snag a suit on eBay and get it altered. I was in your position last year and ended up buying a RLBL for under $300. Alterations were $75. Whatever you do, do it soon because your tailor will need about 2 weeks for alterations.

mlongano

Reaction score
Sockless?
In a suit?
At a wedding?

...glad i got married forty years ago...everyone in attendance wore socks.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
I don't get the sockless thing with a suit either - - especially at someone's wedding unless it's a beach wedding, etc. (Even then, if I went sockless, I doubt I'd do the suit.) (We won't get into blister issues, etc.)

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered the LL Bean Signature line tropical wool in the navy and was really impressed with the fit and the finish at the price. In fact, I liked it so much I went ahead and ordered the gray as well. I've received more compliments on them the occasions I've worn them to work (a few times for each so far) than any other suit I own. Granted, they probably won't win the SF Seal of Approval from the iGents and eHigh Rollers on here, but it's definitely under your $400 price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads