1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding Bands

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SoCal2NYC, Oct 9, 2007.

1. JR88

JR88 Senior member

3mm looks effeminate.

agreed, if you have fat or long fingers.

2. velobran

velobran Senior member

Don't have the camera on me right now, but I have a custom made 5mm wide x 3 mm thick white gold band, which is in deperate need of rodium plating. Go custom ... can't beat it and you get what you want. At first, it was half as wide, but didn't like the thickness so I doubled it.

3. TheHoff

TheHoff Senior member

I've still managed to escape wearing one after 2 years of marriage. I'm not a fan of man jewelry.

4. LSeca

LSeca Senior member

Rings like these worn with a very simple, minimalist outfit is very chic.[/I]

I have to disagree with you on this one LK. I think those rings and the style are very gaudy and costume like. Imo, for a women, a minamalistic styled band with one fantastic stone is all that is needed.

5. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

Looking at gdl's ring at 3mm it doesn't seem fem. His is the proportion that I would want for myself.
    What size ring figer are you?
    I think I'm like 7-7.5.

6. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Senior member

3mm looks effeminate. My wife with ring finger 3.25 wears 2mm ffs. 5mm.

You must have a very petite wife. My company doesn't make anything for women below a 4.5. Even then you'll have to wait like 2-3 months for anything below a 5.5 because it is a special order. The "standard" woman's ring size is a 6-7.

7. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

5mm, 18K white gold, comfort band, engraved with some choice quotes on the inside and date of marriage. My wife wears a 3mm.

I also have a "replacement" one in 6mm, 18K white gold, comfort band. This was the original engagement ring which I "lost" on wedding night[​IMG] . Subsequently recovered. So now I have a backup.

8. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3-4mm bands are the "norm" (e.g. Tiffany's standard size for men's wedding band) and I guess they are big enough for those of us who don't carry around a big glock in their crotch area (i.e. us "effeminate" men)

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I lost two platinum bands and my jeweler refused to sell me a third, saying it was a waste of money because I would lose it again. He made me buy a white gold one. He was right. I lost that one too. All I remember about the style is that I chose a domed shape rather than a flat band.

10. RichardKunin

RichardKunin Well-Known Member

Found a shot of both my band and my wifes.

[​IMG]

This was at our wedding.

11. EL72

EL72 Senior member

You have matching Rolexes too [​IMG]

12. pfr0g

pfr0g Senior member

I was so tired from shopping for my wifes band that when she finally picked one I just got something at the same store. We wound up getting everything, including the engagement ring, from the same store. I must say I really think they are great. My wife lost her diamond engagement ring (fell out) 6 months before the wedding. They gave me a credit toward the ring and I upgraded the size bc she was crying about losing the old one. Double the carat size made her stop crying but she still bitches about the setting being different bc the new stone didnt fit in it. [​IMG]

Anyway here is what I got:

Its ok I guess. In the shop being re-sized. I really don't like wearing it to be honest.

http://shop.baileybanksandbiddle.com...Id=19071745173

13. pfr0g

pfr0g Senior member

I was so tired from shopping for my wifes band that when she finally picked one I just got something at the same store. We wound up getting everything, including the engagement ring, from the same store. I must say I really think they are great. My wife lost her diamond engagement ring (fell out) 6 months before the wedding. They gave me a credit toward the ring and I upgraded the size bc she was crying about losing the old one. Double the carat size made her stop crying but she still bitches about the setting being different bc the new stone didnt fit in it. [​IMG]

Anyway here is what I got:

Its ok I guess. In the shop being re-sized. I really don't like wearing it to be honest.

http://shop.baileybanksandbiddle.com...Id=19071745173

FYI: I didn't get the Platinum one shown, thought it was a giant waste of money. They had another one in Palladium looked identical and was 1/3 the price.

14. EL72

EL72 Senior member

Wearing a wedding band is great. Single women love that shit. [​IMG]

15. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Looking at gdl's ring at 3mm it doesn't seem fem. His is the proportion that I would want for myself. What size ring figer are you? I think I'm like 7-7.5.
    I'm 7.5. Knuckle is a bit swollen from old injuries.. That ring you linked looks nice but I'd go with your original instinct of 4mm.
    Damiani D side band. My wife has the same but with 10 diamonds/side instead of my 5.
    Cool ring with the diamonds on the side. Why the Damiani writing though.
    3-4mm bands are the "norm" (e.g. Tiffany's standard size for men's wedding band) and I guess they are big enough for those of us who don't carry around a big glock in their crotch area (i.e. us "effeminate" men)
    I didn't see a ring smaller than 4mm when I was looking. Most were 5-6mm.
    You must have a very petite wife. My company doesn't make anything for women below a 4.5. Even then you'll have to wait like 2-3 months for anything below a 5.5 because it is a special order. The "standard" woman's ring size is a 6-7.
    Yeah.. In the summer the 3.25 fits ok but in the winter it spins around. I can't get her ring past the first joint of my pinky!

16. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

I say go for something different. Everybody has the same simple metals. At least the row of diamonds in the middle has some flair. If you can pimp those Thom outfits you can roll with something unique on your finger.

Whatever you get, platinum, gold, etc., please don't wear it on your fucking thumb.

17. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

5mm, 18K white gold, comfort band, engraved with some choice quotes on the inside and date of marriage. My wife wears a 3mm.

I also have a "replacement" one in 6mm, 18K white gold, comfort band. This was the original engagement ring which I "lost" on wedding night[​IMG] . Subsequently recovered. So now I have a backup.

Um yeah. [​IMG]

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

+1 on 3 mm. Some things just ought to be classic.

19. spertia

spertia Senior member

I have a platinum Niessing "rotation" ring, which looks like this:

[​IMG]

Except of course that I don't wear it with the center portion pivoted, so that it just looks like a normal ring with two angled lines cut through the center.

My wife wears Niessing's platinum "king" ring, which is an incredible piece of minimalist design IMO:

[​IMG]

Both rings were purchased at Stuart Moore.

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

spertia, those are really cool. I've seen (pictures) of the king ring before.

I don't know what I'll get. My fiance wants hers to match her engagement ring (diamond and two sapphires in platinum), but I think I need to have something I feel comfortable losing (like titanium or something). I can't have nice things. My father has never worn a wedding ring (my parents are married), and I wonder if I'll be the same.