Wedding band etiquette?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Thracozaag, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

My father was doing some research about a gentleman, and came across several pictures, circa 1901 showing him wearing his wedding band. It seems that prior to WWII this was a rather uncommon occurence, does anyone know when this tradition started and/or why?

koji

2. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

depends - sometimes, I take mine off . . . . .

3. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

I gather that the tradition started during the war as a tangible way for soldiers to "remember" their wives back home.

4. stach

stach Senior member

Eastern European men in particular still tend to not wear them.

5. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Here in the US, I've always thought the wedding band should stay on the left ring finger. I do take it off sometimes at work. I also take it off at home because I find it inconvenient when doing house chores, washing dishes, and occasionally when working with food/cooking.

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Eastern European men in particular still tend to not wear them.

My family is originally from Eastern Europe and I have never seen my father wear his wedding band. But, then again, my father is a plumber so I'm not sure how much sense it makes for him to wear it. Also, in our culture, wedding bands are worn on the ring finger of the right hand.

7. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

My family is originally from Eastern Europe and I have never seen my father wear his wedding band. But, then again, my father is a plumber so I'm not sure how much sense it makes for him to wear it. Also, in our culture, wedding bands are worn on the ring finger of the right hand.

Yep, same here - wedding band on right hand. Probably an Orthodox church thing.

8. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I've never worn one and neither did my father or grandfather.

9. jeansandtshirt

jeansandtshirt Senior member

I'm not married, but if I was, no way I'd be wearing one. I'm a scratch freak, and would never wear something that could leave a mark on something I handle. Instead of a ring, how about a wedding watch? That way the bride can spend as much on the guy as he spends on her diamond. Doesn't every woman want "equality" now? [​IMG]

I'm not sure this falls into etiquette, but one thing a guy should do, if he does wear a ring, is get a new one when he gets old and fat. Seeing older guys that have gained 50 lbs since their wedding and wearing a "skinny" band is freaky looking. That is if they can still get them off. [​IMG]

10. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have seen interwar pictures of German aristocrats wearing a wedding band, a signet ring, a pinky ring, and a decorative ring.

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I'm not married, but if I was, no way I'd be wearing one. I'm a scratch freak, and would never wear something that could leave a mark on something I handle. Instead of a ring, how about a wedding watch? That way the bride can spend as much on the guy as he spends on her diamond. Doesn't every woman want "equality" now? [​IMG]

I'm not sure this falls into etiquette, but one thing a guy should do, if he does wear a ring, is get a new one when he gets old and fat. Seeing older guys that have gained 50 lbs since their wedding and wearing a "skinny" band is freaky looking. That is if they can still get them off. [​IMG]

In 10+years of marriage, I can't recall every scratching anything with my wedding bad. Conversely, the band has definitely developed a "patina" of scratches, etc. Wedding bands tend to me made of soft metal, and men's bands usually don't have gems or the like that would tend to cause scratching. However, as someone who generally did not wear jewelry (I did not and generally still don't wear a watch, for example) it did take some getting used to (physically as well as mentally [​IMG])
    Oh, and I wear it on the ring finger of my left hand.
    Edit: Err, make that "wedding band", not "wedding bad". LOL

12. kronik

kronik Senior member

13. kronik

kronik Senior member

[​IMG] Take it off when you go to the club.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

as i've almost lost my wedding band twice, my wife pleaded me to just put it in the safe. works well for me. [​IMG]

15. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

mine encrusted in black diamond set in white gold and my wife's is white diamonds in rose gold - i guess sort of yin yang thing but i sometime forget to wear it which p@#$'s her of at times - women are just so sensitive but working away form home in the week i guess help that![​IMG]