Wedding band advice

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stanwelks, Apr 6, 2011.

1. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I got Palladium, and for me the prices were

Platinum > Palladium > White Gold, though of course it depends what purity of gold you're talking about

Palladium has the characteristics of Platinum, it will just last a hundred years instead of a thousand. they will both stay white, unlike white gold, which will yellow over time. that was my understanding anyways

2. mic

mic Senior member

Both tungsten and titanium can be cut. Either is a good choice for an inexpensive wedding band.

Disagree. I have used several ring cutters and have yet to see one that could touch tungsten.

While tungsten absolutely can be cut with the correct tool or abrasive, I seriously doubt that a given health care facility will have access to that equipment in an emergency setting... in my experience it can be hard enough to locate the standard ring cutter.

3. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

I'm getting married and need to get a wedding band. I've never worn a ring, and am not too fond of the idea, though she wants me to wear one. Can anyone provide any suggestions? I will not wear yellow gold or diamonds. Thanks.
    Why don't you want to wear one? If you're a player and think it's going to cramp your style, think again. These things are chick magnets.[​IMG] Good idea to avoid diamonds. Go with a rounded edge (sometimes called comfort fit). Just keep the look as classic as possible and you'll be fine.

4. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

Disagree. I have used several ring cutters and have yet to see one that could touch tungsten.

My cousin's husband came across a report from an incident with a tungsten ring at work. No kind of ring cutter will get through it as it's essentially made from the same stuff as the cutter is. Apparently what you need is a very strong pair of snips.

5. JRB

JRB Well-Known Member

Step 1: Go to your local hardware store
    Step 2: Buy a stainless steel pipe from the plumbing section, stick your finger in them until it's tight, but can still pull it out, then buy the next size smaller
    Step 3: Cut to size, smooth off sharp edges.

Boom! Stainless steel is the way of the future.

In all honesty, I do have a couple friends that have gone with a dirt cheap stainless steel band (from a jeweler). I have a plain jane platinum band, comfort fit. Now that it's been there a few years I kind of wish I would have went with something with more ... personality. Saw one the other day with a "hammered" band running through the middle, I quite liked it.

6. mic

mic Senior member

My cousin's husband came across a report from an incident with a tungsten ring at work. No kind of ring cutter will get through it as it's essentially made from the same stuff as the cutter is. Apparently what you need is a very strong pair of snips.

In my experience (I worked with tungsten carbide daily for about ten years) the only things that cut it are: 1. a silica carbide cutting/grinding wheel; 2. an industrial diamond cutting wheel; or 3. one hell of an impact (it's quite brittle).

I don't think you'll find either of the first two in a hospital ED or ICU (these are the most likely places one would need to remove a ring in a hurry due to swelling or edema), and the last is both unreliable and likely to damage the digit you're trying to save. A big enough pair of snips might exert enough pressure to pop it, but having cut rings off of patients' fingers, I don't see that happening safely... there's just no room to work, and fingers are delicate little things.

[​IMG]

sorry to bore you all; carry on!

7. dasai

dasai Senior member

I have platinum, because that's the done thing in Japan (for when gold just isn't enough?). We got a pair of fairly simple ones for ¥50,000 each (technically a present to each other), with mine completely plain and hers with a small diamond inlaid in the band. She tends to like flashier designs, but I convinced her that for something you wear every day, subtle is better. Platinum is slightly more durable than gold but still gets scuffed up quite a bit; you can get it cleaned and have the scratches buffed out periodically. For a slightly more resilient band, you can try to find one in Pt900 (90% platinum alloy) rather than the purer and more expensive Pt950.

EDIT: And what the others said about comfort fit.

8. MichaelPemulis

MichaelPemulis Senior member

I got mine from a local jeweler.

It is yellow gold, and has a hammered finish, which he did himself. I love the hammered finish because it actually looks better all scuffed up (which happens in like a week).

I recommend finding a local jeweler and getting something plain.

9. paco_deluca

paco_deluca Senior member

10. Ike

Ike Senior member

11. GBear

GBear Senior member

12. ktrp

ktrp Senior member

Platinum is also a pretty traditional choice. White gold was developed as an alternative to platinum when platinum was all being used by the military.

I have a plain platinum band. I'd prefer a thicker band then I have I guess, but budget was an issue. Fairly thin platinum bands are traditional anyway.

The personalization for me is the inscription on the inside.

13. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

If you don't like wearing then don't, as long as your wife is OK with that.

I have a white gold plain comfort band and a Cartier Love ring. I alternate them.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Wow, I'm getting married this year and I was looking at Tungsten Carbide rings...now I'm afraid I'm going to lose my finger if anything ever happens!

15. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member