• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding attire

BDCook

Reaction score
Getting ready to pop the question, although it won't come as much of a surprise to the gf, as we've discussed pretty specific plans for a wedding. Only reason a ring didn't come earlier was money (recent college grad, luckily I got into a high paying field).

Anyway, to my question: We will probably be having a late afternoon wedding in mid to late june. I want to have a tuxedo tailored for me, but I don't know what type of jacket proper wedding etiquette dictates I wear. Also, any tailors to look to, or will the traditional Chan, et al be good choices?

All the better if the tux can play double duty down the road for other black/white tie events.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDCook
I want to have a tuxedo tailored for me, but I don't know what type of jacket proper wedding etiquette dictates I wear.
It's not so much "proper wedding etiquette" that you have to think about as proper dinner jacket configurations.

First, sticklers will say, no DJ until after six or sundown, whichever comes first. However, it is popular these days to schedule late afternoon weddings so that the evening dinner and reception can follow. Very few people are going to care that you wore a DJ to a 4 pm ceremony. But they are out there. Perhaps you are lucky and don't know any of them.

What makes for a classic DJ has been the subject of dozens of threads on this forum. The debates are sometimes fun to read, and the info is good.

The basics are: SB or DB, peak or shawl lapel, no notch. Besom pockets, no flaps. Side vents or no vents. No cuffs on the trousers. Satin or grosgrain facings on the lapels, and also as a stripe covering the trousers' outseams. You're better off with a turn-down collar shirt, as good wing collar shirts can only be had custom, or maybe RTW in London. Pleated or pique front. French cuffs. Solid black bow tie, tied yourself. No belts: suspenders. With SB coat, vest or cummerbund. With DB, neither. Black socks (silk preferred) and black plain to patent leather oxfords, or else opera pumps.

I wonder if lightning -- or a mod -- will strike me if I also point you to Chapter 23 of this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006...lance&n=283155

BDCook

Reaction score
Don't worry about the book plug, I plan on picking it up.

Thanks for the info

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I still need to get a copy. X_x

Sound advice. I'd like to add that a vest that matches the pants if going with a white (or off-white) dinner jacket is a good choice. Harrison Ford certainly looked great in it.

BDCook

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I still need to get a copy. X_x

Sound advice. I'd like to add that a vest that matches the pants if going with a white (or off-white) dinner jacket is a good choice. Harrison Ford certainly looked great in it.

I don't think I will be wearing white. I have a very pale (almost bright white) skin tone, and have given up tanning for the time being..so white just makes me look even worse.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Might as well give up a white shirt on that same train of thought!
tongue.gif

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The basics are: SB or DB, peak or shawl lapel, no notch. Besom pockets, no flaps. Side vents or no vents. No cuffs on the trousers. Satin or grosgrain facings on the lapels, and also as a stripe covering the trousers' outseams. You're better off with a turn-down collar shirt, as good wing collar shirts can only be had custom, or maybe RTW in London. Pleated or pique front. French cuffs. Solid black bow tie, tied yourself. No belts: suspenders. With SB coat, vest or cummerbund. With DB, neither. Black socks (silk preferred) and black plain to patent leather oxfords, or else opera pumps.

Pleated or flat front trousers?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Pleated or flat front trousers?
I would always get pleated, but it's not required.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads