• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Attire with Season Change

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
So before covid hit, I was originally planning to get married in winter. My groomsmen and I bought tuxedos before things hit us bad in anticipation of an evening wedding. Even when covid hit, we figured we'd postpone to another winter date since all summer dates would likely be wiped out from high demand.

Fast forward half a year and due to a bunch of life's circumstances, we decided to get married in the summer. With the way things are going, we might not even have a formal reception, which means no evening formal activities. The sun won't set until after 8pm now on our wedding day as opposed to our original plans of 4pm.

I know tuxedos are evening wear and that it's faux pas to wear them during the day but my dilemma is, I really don't want to buy another wedding suit. I also hate the idea that my groomsmen would've wasted their money on a purchase they won't be used. Is it really that ridiculous to wear a tuxedo during the day?

Likewise, a friend who was originally supposed to be married last July bought unlined blazers in summer fabrics as his outfit but when he postponed, his venue had no options except winter dates. He's wondering if his group needs to buy another set of suits in tweed or a fall/winter fabric of some kind. There's a chance it'll snow on his day but he says if that's the case, he won't go outside so he won't be cold.

What would you do if you were in a situation such as this?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As if we don’t have enough to worry about these days, the planet has to go and wobble on us. But the “rule” about evening wear does not refer to the time of sunset—a good thing for poor Icelanders who otherwise could never wear tuxes in summer. (Do they have tuxes in Iceland?) Fortunately the rule is about time of day—specifically, after 6.

That said, these are special times requiring flexibility. Wear what you have and enjoy the day. Likewise your friend can wear unlined jackets in winter. He and his groomsmen could add vests. And hopefully overcoats.

StaticProgression

Reaction score
So before covid hit, I was originally planning to get married in winter. My groomsmen and I bought tuxedos before things hit us bad in anticipation of an evening wedding. Even when covid hit, we figured we'd postpone to another winter date since all summer dates would likely be wiped out from high demand.

Fast forward half a year and due to a bunch of life's circumstances, we decided to get married in the summer. With the way things are going, we might not even have a formal reception, which means no evening formal activities. The sun won't set until after 8pm now on our wedding day as opposed to our original plans of 4pm.

I know tuxedos are evening wear and that it's faux pas to wear them during the day but my dilemma is, I really don't want to buy another wedding suit. I also hate the idea that my groomsmen would've wasted their money on a purchase they won't be used. Is it really that ridiculous to wear a tuxedo during the day?

Likewise, a friend who was originally supposed to be married last July bought unlined blazers in summer fabrics as his outfit but when he postponed, his venue had no options except winter dates. He's wondering if his group needs to buy another set of suits in tweed or a fall/winter fabric of some kind. There's a chance it'll snow on his day but he says if that's the case, he won't go outside so he won't be cold.

What would you do if you were in a situation such as this?

Are you implying that they already have purchased their tuxedos?

StaticProgression

Reaction score
Yeah, we all did prior to covid hitting. We found a deal and went for it.

I wish you and your friend's wedding party could switch suits lol. That's really tough man - I mean, it's very uncommon to buy tuxes in this day and age. That's just a tough question. Ultimately, unless you have very fancy friends and family, no one is going to bat an eye when you walk out in tuxes. I know your personal sartorial pride will be hurt, but at the end of the day, in the times we are in, having a ceremony at all with your friends and family around, this might be one of those times to just let this one go.

Your friend, I feel is technically in a better setup. He will look goofy but it's not like a formality thing. I guess it depends on the formality of each of your weddings - is everyone at his showing up in black tie, and then he's in suits? as long as they are coordinated and look good, again sadly no one will care bc no one knows the rules anymore.

Unfortunately, it sounds like an expensive ordeal to replace the tuxes and that was the risk of buying I suppose. So to answer you, yes, it's not "allowed" and not to be worn earlier, but by golly, if you all look good and well tailored, I have seen far worse atrocities in wedding attire, as have you, I am sure. So just look good in what you chose and enjoy your day I would say!

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
I wish you and your friend's wedding party could switch suits lol. That's really tough man - I mean, it's very uncommon to buy tuxes in this day and age. That's just a tough question. Ultimately, unless you have very fancy friends and family, no one is going to bat an eye when you walk out in tuxes. I know your personal sartorial pride will be hurt, but at the end of the day, in the times we are in, having a ceremony at all with your friends and family around, this might be one of those times to just let this one go.

Haha, our groups are completely different sizes so even if we were willing, it wouldn't work out. And I'd want at least a full suit regardless of the time of year. The blazer thing works with some people but for me, I want the full ensemble.

I guess my problem is less about following tradition to a tee (I could care less what some British aristocrat demanded at the time) but more whether my guys and I would look stupid. As I mentioned, the original idea was a winter wedding so even if we had the tuxes on at 3pm or 4pm, the early sunset coupled with general overcast makes it okay in my books. But now, the sunlight is likely going to be so strong and won't go away until well past 8pm, I just fear the contrast in photos would be so awkward.

Your friend, I feel is technically in a better setup. He will look goofy but it's not like a formality thing. I guess it depends on the formality of each of your weddings - is everyone at his showing up in black tie, and then he's in suits? as long as they are coordinated and look good, again sadly no one will care bc no one knows the rules anymore.

We're not asking our guests to wear black tie and the only people who will likely wear it is the wedding party and immediately family. We are suggesting black tie optional so most will likely come in a regular suit. We didn't want to impose too strict of a dress code in case money is tight, especially after a year or two in these times.

My friend's wedding is technically more formal than mine because they're going to a church and then a grand banquet hall afterward. We're having ours at a local winery.

Unfortunately, it sounds like an expensive ordeal to replace the tuxes and that was the risk of buying I suppose. So to answer you, yes, it's not "allowed" and not to be worn earlier, but by golly, if you all look good and well tailored, I have seen far worse atrocities in wedding attire, as have you, I am sure. So just look good in what you chose and enjoy your day I would say!

Thanks, appreciate it.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your situation isn't ideal, but wearing a tuxedo in summer isn't the end of the world. I also have to ask - are your groomsmen all making six figure incomes? They already bought a tuxedo for your wedding and now you're going to ask them to buy something else? In light of the circumstances, I wouldn't ask my friends to do that for one day. 2 years after your wedding day, neither you, your wife, nor anyone else is going to care one bit about what you were wearing on your wedding day. You're already going to be wearing well fitting tuxedos so you'll be better than 90% of wedding parties. I just can't get behind asking people to spend even more money for your wedding. Unless you want to foot the bill for all their new suits if it means that much to you.

SomeDude2021

Reaction score
Your situation isn't ideal, but wearing a tuxedo in summer isn't the end of the world. I also have to ask - are your groomsmen all making six figure incomes? They already bought a tuxedo for your wedding and now you're going to ask them to buy something else? In light of the circumstances, I wouldn't ask my friends to do that for one day. 2 years after your wedding day, neither you, your wife, nor anyone else is going to care one bit about what you were wearing on your wedding day. You're already going to be wearing well fitting tuxedos so you'll be better than 90% of wedding parties. I just can't get behind asking people to spend even more money for your wedding. Unless you want to foot the bill for all their new suits if it means that much to you.
No no no, I DON'T want to ask them to buy something else. But at the same time, I don't want them to have bought the tuxedo for nothing if we don't use it.

I'm definitely leaning towards just sticking with the tuxes. I guess I'm just checking to see how many people think it's a bad idea and what the argument is (besides "tradition" which I'm not much of a stickler for). Having a few responses telling me to wear the tux is reassuring.

ryanmurray

Reaction score
I do not understand why it is necessary to follow the unspoken rules and limit yourself in what to wear. I believe that everyone can wear what is convenient and comfortable for him, so I do not think that tuxedos are immutable in the daytime. If it has already happened that you have changed the wedding style, it will not be a big problem to fit the already purchased costumes into the summer ceremony. Because of the quarantine, we also postponed the wedding to August and held it outdoors to invite all our friends and family. We decided to host the Gatlinburg cabin wedding and not set any dress code or restrict guests.

Last edited:

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stick with the tuxedos. The wedding party will stand out being in evening attire however that is their role. If anything, add a piece of flair of some kind such as a pocket square to your tuxedo to make you the center of attention of the group.

Congrats on getting married and enjoy your day!

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t even worry about it. Let the groomsmen wear what they want to wear as well as the wedding guests. The bride will obviously wear a gown. Wear a tux yourself or a suit. Just wear something half ass decent.

It was a long and miserable year and many events were postponed, put off and a lot of money lost planning weddings that cannot be recouped by the couple.

Just enjoy the day and be happy. The rest really is just bullshit.

Leiker

Reaction score
Wear the tuxedos, have a great day, and congratulations!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads