• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Attire: Should the groom and groomsmen match?

mediocrecomposer

Reaction score
BTW, adagio and I have been emailing and he suggested a lay down collar. Ideas, anyone?

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by adagio
Here it is from AAAC http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...DINGATTIRE.htm

Unfortunately I think some of the images are missing. I can't find it on the London Lounge as I'm not a member there and the search function seems to be limited to members.

Mediocrecomposer, I couldn't find this link when I emailed you yesterday.
Edit: here is the LL link. I think the same images are missing: http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...hp?f=36&t=6562

Also check out this section from the "Black Tie Guide". Clearly a mis-nomer in this cases as it deals with morning dress. http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...ning_Dress.htm

Wow. The article from Manton is a great resource. I'm getting married next fall, so I have a lot of time before I need to make a decision, but I think I'll need to read through that article a few times again.

mediocrecomposer

Reaction score
Another thing. I probably don't have much control over this, but what should I suggest for my minister? He wouldn't do a morning coat, so I assume just a nice suit.

Doc4

Reaction score
deadhorse-a.gif
As has been beaten to death already, morning suit and evening suit ... I had the image of the groomsmen appearing via satelite TV from a remote locaton halfway around the globe where it's evening.

The groom should appeare somewhat different from the groomsmen ... often this can be as subtle as a more elaborate boutenier. But it should be something.

Originally Posted by mediocrecomposer
Another thing. I probably don't have much control over this, but what should I suggest for my minister? He wouldn't do a morning coat, so I assume just a nice suit.

He may well have a set of robes that he wears for more solemn occasions ... ask him.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
grey rather than navy (but this isn't set in stone).

Indeed, if it were double-breasted, I would go for navy. Perhaps that's my granddad's wedding photos talking. Also, while cuffs aren't right on formal trousers, I wouldn't hesitate to put them on an ordinary suit for a wedding.

floatinjoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Or the groom could wear a full cutaway and the groomsmen could wear strollers.

This is something I had thought about for my wedding too... What are people's thoughts on this concept? It is all daywear, but with the groom just a step up from the rest of the party.

Mike

mjHession

Reaction score
Originally Posted by floatinjoe
This is something I had thought about for my wedding too... What are people's thoughts on this concept? It is all daywear, but with the groom just a step up from the rest of the party.

Mike

I think that would look fine, you could probably have them wear strollers, lounge suits, or morning suits. Just depends on what look you're going for. Just be sure you do it right, see this;

Originally Posted by adagio
Here it is from AAAC http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...DINGATTIRE.htm

Unfortunately I think some of the images are missing. I can't find it on the London Lounge as I'm not a member there and the search function seems to be limited to members.

Mediocrecomposer, I couldn't find this link when I emailed you yesterday.
Edit: here is the LL link. I think the same images are missing: http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum...hp?f=36&t=6562

Also check out this section from the "Black Tie Guide". Clearly a mis-nomer in this cases as it deals with morning dress. http://www.blacktieguide.com/Supplem...ning_Dress.htm

iridium7777

Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread but what if I, the groom, wore a peak lapel tux and all the grooms wore a notch lapel tux.

Spare me the tirade that all tuxes are to be peaks, I know. Problem a few of them already own a tux and unfortunately its a notch one. They're flying to our wedding so the expenses will be large already and I don't want the ones that own to spend more $ on renting.

All the rentals would match theirs and then I will bring my own. Would that work?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What's this matching stuff? If you want black tie, tell them to come in black tie. Peak, shawl, DB, whatever.

LeonM

Reaction score

hkhobo

Reaction score
has anyone actually seen a wedding where the groom wears a morning suit, and the groomsmen wear stroller coats?

The problem for me is that i have a full day wedding (Ceremony in the morning, afternoon photographs and various activities, cocktails, dinner at night), so I am thinking of wearing a morning dress in the morning for the ceremony, and change into a tuxedo at night for the dinner.... it would be crazy to expect my groomsmen to have to change as well though, so i don't know what they should wear for the full day (my fiancee insists no suits for them, since she says they don't look formal enough).

Also my groomsmen are scattered around the world and this is a destination wedding, so clothing coordination is infinitely more difficult.

any advice?

CommenceFailure

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads