• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding attire recommendation wanted

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will be attending an evening wedding this coming Saturday.  I will be wearing a three-button dark gray (not charcoal) suit.  Any recommendations on shirt and tie combinations to go with this suit would be appreciated.

VWpete

Reaction score
Well, it is spring so you could throw a bit of color into the mix, but the evening time may change your shirt options up a bit. I'd wear a really crip spread collar/French cuff white shirt because it's evening (I know, not too exciting). I'd throw on a dark textured tie w/ some vibrant color detail (I'm thinking of a good Etro or Massimo Bizzochi print). You could even do a great paisley like the Kiton one's I recently saw.

sweeney

Reaction score
I would go with a very simple, yet timeless, elegant, andsupremely stylish alternative, reminiscent of old Hollywood types (read: Gary Cooper, Cary Grant).  With that suit, at that occasion, I would go with:

- white, spread collar, french-cuff shirt
- simple cufflinks (thinking of my own collection, I'd use basic, stainless steel Tiffany links)
- plain (perhaps with a bit of a sheen) black, silk tie
- simple pocket square (probably a basic white)
- well-shined lace-ups

I don't think you can go wrong with this look:  classic style, and you won't upstage the stars of the show.

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser:

I agree with the non-button down collar (it's evening after all) shirt, in either white or blue, but what about a fun tie in celebration of the event. Red, yellow, silver, or... and of course a pocket square.

Andy

AskAndyAboutClothes

Reaction score
Ambulance Chaser:

We're all waiting to hear..

What did you wear? What was the best male ensemble there; the worst??

Andy

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up wearing this Hermes tie, which I bought on the day of the wedding with the assistance of a saleslady at the Hermes boutique. Â I was initially a little apprehensive because this tie is radically different from the vast majority of the ties that I own (which tend to be mundane geometric patterns set against a dark blue background), but I think it ended up looking pretty sharp set against the white point-collar french cuff shirt and dark gray suit I wore. Â An attractive female acquaintance remarked that the tie looked really good, but to be fair, she knew in advance that I was buying a new tie and may just have been trying to be polite. I can't really comment on the ensembles of the other male guests, because I didn't circulate -- I knew five other guests (we are all former co-workers of the groom) and pretty much hung out with them for the entire wedding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads