1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Wedding attire recommendation wanted

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, May 6, 2003.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I will be attending an evening wedding this coming Saturday.  I will be wearing a three-button dark gray (not charcoal) suit.  Any recommendations on shirt and tie combinations to go with this suit would be appreciated.

2. VWpete

VWpete Senior member

Well, it is spring so you could throw a bit of color into the mix, but the evening time may change your shirt options up a bit. I'd wear a really crip spread collar/French cuff white shirt because it's evening (I know, not too exciting). I'd throw on a dark textured tie w/ some vibrant color detail (I'm thinking of a good Etro or Massimo Bizzochi print). You could even do a great paisley like the Kiton one's I recently saw.

3. sweeney

sweeney Member

I would go with a very simple, yet timeless, elegant, andsupremely stylish alternative, reminiscent of old Hollywood types (read: Gary Cooper, Cary Grant).  With that suit, at that occasion, I would go with:

- white, spread collar, french-cuff shirt
    - simple cufflinks (thinking of my own collection, I'd use basic, stainless steel Tiffany links)
    - plain (perhaps with a bit of a sheen) black, silk tie
    - simple pocket square (probably a basic white)
    - well-shined lace-ups

I don't think you can go wrong with this look:  classic style, and you won't upstage the stars of the show.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Try a pink shirt instead of a white one if you are wearing a grey suit. Be aware, though, that not every guy can pull off pink though.

5. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

Ambulance Chaser:

I agree with the non-button down collar (it's evening after all) shirt, in either white or blue, but what about a fun tie in celebration of the event. Red, yellow, silver, or... and of course a pocket square.

Andy

6. AskAndyAboutClothes

AskAndyAboutClothes Senior member

Ambulance Chaser:

We're all waiting to hear..

What did you wear? What was the best male ensemble there; the worst??

Andy

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I ended up wearing this Hermes tie, which I bought on the day of the wedding with the assistance of a saleslady at the Hermes boutique. Â I was initially a little apprehensive because this tie is radically different from the vast majority of the ties that I own (which tend to be mundane geometric patterns set against a dark blue background), but I think it ended up looking pretty sharp set against the white point-collar french cuff shirt and dark gray suit I wore. Â An attractive female acquaintance remarked that the tie looked really good, but to be fair, she knew in advance that I was buying a new tie and may just have been trying to be polite. I can't really comment on the ensembles of the other male guests, because I didn't circulate -- I knew five other guests (we are all former co-workers of the groom) and pretty much hung out with them for the entire wedding.