• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding attire question - Tuxedo shirts

uncleezno

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I haven't posted here in months, and since then, I purchased the tuxedo I liked the most after weeks of trying them on all over the place. It fits me almost perfectly off-the-rack, and the only real change I made was substituting in felt-covered buttons. At one point I was concerned about things like whether or not it was fully canvased, and while I think it is, I'm not sure, and honestly, I don't care. It looks really good on me, and my fiancee's eyes lit up when she saw me in it. I've already got the shoes, and I plan on wearing white braces without either a vest or a cummerbund (heresy, whatever). What I haven't figured out yet is how/where to get a nice tuxedo shirt without breaking the bank.

The tux I linked to above is $670, but I was in their NYC men's suiting store during it's opening week, and I was able to get it for $400. That was about the maximum I could afford, so I'm glad it worked out. The nice tuxedo shirts that I'm seeing are all north of $100, and I simply can't figure out why. Will any of you guys be able to forgive me for wearing a tux sans vest or cummerbund and help me out with tuxedo shirt suggestions that won't break the bank?

I'll be wearing a simple, black bow tie, and I favor what I think are called spread collars as opposed to the wingtip collars. Also, I really like the idea of the first three buttonholes being left empty for studs, and the remainder of the buttons being MOP. Sort of like this. Any other ideas? I appreciate any help you guys can offer, and honestly, if you want to rag on me for not wearing a cummerbund or a vest, feel free, so long as you also have input on the shirts.

Thanks,

D

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
On the rare occasion I have to wear a dinner jacket I'm with you - dont like a waistcoat or a cummerbund but I don't need either as my DJ is double breasted.

Shirt studs come in sets of four. If you are also like me in that you don't want frills or ruffles, then go and buy a white turn down collar (spread or point, but medium point might look best with a bow tie, and please dont get a pre tied tie) dress shirt in 100% cotton then take it to a seamstress and get buttons 2 to 5 removed and ask her to make small button holes for your studs. There you have a nice understated shirt to match your classic dinner suit for a fraction of what they might charge you for a brand name tux shirt.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This eBay seller usually has a lot of OK tux shirts available, many in the regular spread collar. If you are not wearing a waistcoat or cummerbund, I'd want at least four studs so that no button would show with the coat buttoned. http://myworld.ebay.com/berkshire01267/ ~ H

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I procured my tuxedo shirt here at Tailor Store last year after fifteen years of using a cheap rental-stock poly blend. Sent in measurements from my favorite OCBD and the tux shirt fits me like a glove for $92 plus shipping. I dig it.

That said, it's got a wing collar, which you said you'd prefer to avoid... and you cannot change any stylistic features of their predesigned shirts. For that, I'd recommend moderntailor. You can probably get away with a white shirt in their $19.95 intro special (if you haven't ordered from them before). Any collar option you'd like, tuxedo pleats for an extra five bucks, and I bet you can specify your buttonhole options in the "notes" section. $35 or so shipped; another few bucks if you want MOP buttons. I have no experience with MT yet but plenty of folks here do.

I state all this with the caveat that I'm 6'2" and 155 lbs: OTR shirts just plain don't fit me as slim as I'd prefer, so I haven't done any looking in the ready-to-wear side of things. MTM is just too dang inexpensive to bother with RTW shirts that need additional tailoring.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, OP, just wanted to say that looks like a very nice tux. Have bookmarked for myself, in fact.

~ H

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
"I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-Shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party." ~ Cal Naughton, Jr.
daytime_tuxedo_shirt-p235013354362818257qt22_400.jpg

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing black tie without a waist covering is fully unforgivable. Expect a black mark on your permanent record.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads