• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding Attire: Groom vs. Groomsen

BigGTgreek

Reaction score
If I choose to wear a Midnight Blue tuxedo to my wedding, do you believe my groomsmen must wear Midnight Blue tuxedos as well? Or can they wear Black tuxedos instead? Do you think it will clash in pictures?

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it'd be awesome if you were in midnight blue and the groomsmen were in black.

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think you need to be matching. I am getting married in a few months and my groomsmen are wearing black and I am thinking about wearing grey.

Beatlegeuse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed that you don't need to match. I prefer it when the groom does something to set himself apart from the others. And many times a midnight blue tux is so dark that it will almost look black in pictures.

Macallan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy
I think it'd be awesome if you were in midnight blue and the groomsmen were in black.

this

I do not think the groom and groomsmen should be wearing the same suits - the style can be the same, but the colour should be different (or even vice versa)

Matt S

Reaction score
Dress like men and wear different dinner suits. Some guys can wear peak lapels and others can wear shawl lapels. Maybe some in single breasted and some in double breasted. Some guys can wear pleated shirts and other can wear marcella-bibbed shirts (all should have turn-down collars). Midnight blue is essentially black and nobody will notice much of a difference (unless your wedding is during the day, in which case you should not be wearing dinner suits). The biggest difference is that your colour will appear to be richer.

phailing101

Reaction score
Originally Posted by musicguy

fing02[1].gif

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Sounds great to me. You should definitely be set apart from the groomsmen and I think midnight blue is the best tux choice anyway. Best of luck on your wedding!

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
Dress like men and wear different dinner suits. Some guys can wear peak lapels and others can wear shawl lapels. Maybe some in single breasted and some in double breasted. Some guys can wear pleated shirts and other can wear marcella-bibbed shirts (all should have turn-down collars). Midnight blue is essentially black and nobody will notice much of a difference (unless your wedding is during the day, in which case you should not be wearing dinner suits). The biggest difference is that your colour will appear to be richer.

+1000. If the bride has given you discretion over this then this is what you should absolutely do. Wedding parties where all the groomsmen match exactly look more like the bride and her mother playing dolls then a man surrounded by his closest friends/relatives on the most important day of his life.

Also, as a more practical matter, it would be wrong of you to tell the groomsmen that they have to wear midnight and that they must procure their own tuxedos. I doubt you'll find many places to rent a midnight one in the proper shade, and in general, the less expensive tuxedos aren't available in midnight. So they could each easily end up having to shell out a grand for the thing vs. wearing whatever tux they own/can rent or buy at a good price. Now, if you're planning to buy each a tux, then the above does not apply.

ksuhwail

Reaction score
I, like you, discovered this forum when I was getting married and was looking for ways to be a better dressed groom without looking like I was at a glorified prom. Long story short, I went with a dark blue tux for myself and black for the groomsmen. I let the ushers where what they had since they were college students and I didn't want them forking out $$$ for a rental.

My outfit:
Tuxedo: Coppley MTM Midnight Blue Tuxedo with Black Grosgrain Facing
Shirt:Brioni Studless
Bowtie:Turnbull and Asser Black Barathea
Vest: RLPL Grosgrain Backless Vest
Suspenders: Albert Thurston
CuffLinks: Turnbull and Asser Onyx & MOP
Pocket-Square: RLPL White Linen
Socks: Falke Midnight Blue Silk OTC
Shoes: Mezlan

Thanks styelforum for your help when I needed it!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BigGTgreek
If I choose to wear a Midnight Blue tuxedo to my wedding, do you believe my groomsmen must wear Midnight Blue tuxedos as well? Or can they wear Black tuxedos instead? Do you think it will clash in pictures?

IT'll be cool if you stood out a bit from your groomsmen. But do your best to make sure their rentals are well fitted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads