• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding attire advice - pacific northwest summer wedding

subinai

Reaction score
hi, first post, go easy on me.
wink.gif

Next week, i'm attending a wedding outside of portland, OR. the dress code is "mountain event dress casual". i don't really know what that means but i've been told suits aren't a must. i know a suit is probably the best route to go - better to well dressed than not. but i was just wondering what everybody thought. if you were going to attend this wedding, what would you wear? thank you!

arc

Reaction score
Not many people would consider a suit casual. Chinos and an OCBD, no tie, and suede shoes might be the way to go if you're uncomfortable going entirely casual in the non-SF sense of the word; even then you may be overdressed.

Why not ask the wedding organizer or the couple what they're envisioning? That wouldn't be a faux paus with such an oblique dress code.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given that dress code, and if you are certain suits will not be standard, I would wear a taupe sport jacket, button down shirt that is not solid and tie (here use your taste and judgment) white linen pocket square and jeans, yes jeans. Of course you can wear some nice trousers. For shoes, nothing over the top, probably suede shoes rubber soles sort of thing.

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bringusingoodale
Given that dress code, and if you are certain suits will not be standard, I would wear a taupe sport jacket, button down shirt that is not solid and tie (here use your taste and judgment) white linen pocket square and jeans, yes jeans. Of course you can wear some nice trousers. For shoes, nothing over the top, probably suede shoes rubber soles sort of thing.

This sounds pretty good. If you show up and realize you are the only one with a tie (including the groom) you can remove it. I'm in Portland, OR - not overly formal in these parts.

EZ

subinai

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. consulted with the wedding party and got more specifics. no jacket required. no tie, either. anything goes as long as it looks "good". should be interesting!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads