• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wedding at the end of the month. Help!

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Hey guys, need a little help with what to wear to a wedding coming up in a couple of weeks.

I own only one suit:
200903140008c.jpg

My question is what colour of shirt would be best, and what kind of tie.

I know TM Lewin is a great shirtmaker, and they have a store in town where I'll be going to get something, probably sometime next week. But I really don't know what would go and what would look strange. Blue is my only idea.

Any help is appreciated.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was in a similar situation I wore my navy suit, white shirt with french cuffs, multi-colored gingham tie and a pink square to match my wife's dress. Black shoes.

heyheyhey

Reaction score
If I got a light blue shirt (presuming whatever tie comes with works), would a white pocket square and black shoes be okay? Or would brown shoes be better? (Just realised I need shoes too.)

skefferz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heyheyhey
If I got a light blue shirt (presuming whatever tie comes with works), would a white pocket square and black shoes be okay? Or would brown shoes be better? (Just realised I need shoes too.)

A white pocket square is fine.

What color is the suit? And is the wedding day or night?

koolhistorian

Reaction score

Go with black, you are on the safe side!

heyheyhey

Reaction score
The suit would be best described as very dark brown. Its a day wedding, with a party going into the night.

I'lll look up some black shoes as well.

thomberto

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to the site and have a similar question. I'm attending a wedding on saturday and was thinking of wearing a white pocket square with my suit. Someone told me, however, that white should be reserved for the bride. Is there anything to this?

Thank you for your help!
-Tom

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomberto
Hello All,

I'm new to the site and have a similar question. I'm attending a wedding on saturday and was thinking of wearing a white pocket square with my suit. Someone told me, however, that white should be reserved for the bride. Is there anything to this?

Thank you for your help!
-Tom

Hi tom, and welcome, and thank you for using the search function.

Wearing a white pocket square is not reserved for the bride (do you mean groom?). Wear it with pride!

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think when they say white is for the bride they mean her dress, as in no one else should wear a white dress. Your white pocket square will be fine.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit would be best described as very dark brown. Its a day wedding, with a party going into the night.

I'lll look up some black shoes as well.

If the suit is really brown then maybe dark brown shoes will be best. It looks black in the picture above though, which is probably why everyone is recommending black shoes.

pbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomberto
Hello All,

Thank you for your help!
-Tom

In my opinion, white is the best, if not the only, color for a wedding pocket square. The same goes for the shirt. Some exception if the bride is not wearing a white or almost white dress.

pbc

heyheyhey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
If the suit is really brown then maybe dark brown shoes will be best. It looks black in the picture above though, which is probably why everyone is recommending black shoes.
The suit is very, very dark. You can really only tell its brown under sunlight.
smile.gif
I've actually bought almost everything for the wedding now, TM Lewin was completely out of my pricerange considering I needed shoes as well, so I went elsewhere. Once I get a real job I'm definitely going back though, their stuff is fantastic. A rundown: Blue shirt (Double cuffed, linked) (But not the red tie in the photo); Black shoes; Black belt; White pocket square; I'm not sure about the tie though Maybe this. But I have time to go and get something else if not approved. Opinions on the tie, please? EDIT: Nice lady from TM Lewin showed me a tie that was Brown, Blue and White striped. It would have been perfect, but it was very expensive.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blue, pink or white (if you must) shirts would all go with it quite happily.

Ties something to suit your personality that you like when you go to buy it.

You are wearing both so you need to like it NOT anyone at all on a web board who neither knows you nor will be present at the event.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads