Wedding Accessories

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by David Ariel, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

If you are going to attempt to "alter" her vision in any way, I would recommend giving it a run before the wedding. The idea to buy the pure white tie and show her that, in fact, it does not look that good is a solid endeavor. The white (or off-white) vest on the groom in combination with white shirt and light tie is pretty popular currently. I have seen it at the past two weddings I have attended. If you mix up the patterns and tones, you can probably make it look kinda cool. For example, white shirt and cream/silver tie. I am a big fan of this tie previously recommended:

I think the white PS is the least of your worries in the ensemble since it will be somewhat offset by the dark jacket.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

Maybe he meant the horrible prom/wedding satin metallic silver kind of thing.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

3. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

I respectfully disagree. Looking like you are getting married is not automatically a good thing as you should look good for your wedding and not as stereotypical as possible as this is most likely not the best way to dress. Maybe I get you wrong but your second point is rather supporting my claim than objecting to it. If most people don´t associate this kind of tie with a conscious wedding(whatever conscious menas in this context) this implies that wearing such a tie would make people perceive your wedding as unconscious. Thus I would leave the silver tie where it is and go with a good looking one.

And yes I meant the silver one.

4. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

In the second point I meant that most people don't see wedding ties and think "wedding tie". It's only something very clothes-minded people such as ourselves think of.

To your first point, I think we just have different conceptions regarding what's best to wear. The philosophy of the dandy going back to Brummell is to have simple clothes, always most appropriate to the occasion, and always in the best materials and cut possible. Most appropriate meaning you look like you're dressed to do whatever you're actually doing. Dressing to stand out or "do something different" is the philosophy of the fop, not the dandy.

5. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

You are probably right about the tie. But for the second point you would need a good definition for what is most appropriate to wear to a wedding to be dressed as good as possible. Wearing something stereotypically wedding like does not mean that this is automatically appropriate for the occasion.

6. unbelragazzo

Stereotypical but not appropriate? Are you arguing that something called a "wedding tie" is not appropriate for a wedding?

7. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

Silver ties are stereotypical for weddings but I would not consider them appropriate. I am arguing that just because lots of people view it appropriate it does not automatically become appropriate. Just because millions of people wear animal pictures on their ties it does not mean that they are appropriately dressed anywhere.

8. unbelragazzo

This is far from an animal print. Silvery neckties have been worn for formal daywear for what...100 years? More? This is not some fad. It is the historically correct thing to wear to a wedding.

9. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

Just because its done for centuries doesn´t mean that it is any good. Do you honestly believe a silver tie looks good on anybody on any occasion? What would you wear with silver. Politicians and government officials have been wearing animal print for at least the last 50 years that doesn´t mean it is the appropriate dress to wear to work.

10. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Rule #1 for a successful wedding: make your bride happy.

When my wife changed into her qi pao I changed into a tie made from the same material. Bright, bright red, with a phoenix pattern - about as non-SF-approved as it gets. But she loved it, her family loved it, our guests loved it... well worth breaking a style rule for a couple hours.

Happy wife, happy life.

11. unbelragazzo

No this whole time I've been lying. [\sarcasm] yes, I think they look good. I like the black/white patterns more, but any wedding tie will look great for a wedding.

I can't say I remember seeing any politicians in animal print ties. In any case, they're hardly considered a well dressed group. I would guess that most of the more revered members of this forum, as well as well-dressed men throughout history, would consider ties in the category of what we're calling wedding ties, as ideal for formal day situations.

Cary Grant:

http://www.google.com/search?q=cary...UMz7DKq00AGItYHACw#biv=i|114;d|_xcNAvwX3FrTWM:

Gianni Agnelli:

http://www.google.com/search?q=gian...xQUKiuOqbk0QHCtYGgAQ#biv=i|1;d|jn2l-JJxMAKI9M:

George Hamilton:

http://www.google.com/search?q=geor...QUIKbFsGB0AHaloCYBg#biv=i|20;d|iQHS9ZVlUx6cjM:

AA illustration:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/62219/wedding-ties#post_988070

12. unbelragazzo

Anyway, if you don't like wedding ties, then whatever, that's your right. But to say that they are not classic or that they are inappropriate is just wrong.

13. AMG1

AMG1 Senior member

No offense I haven't said that what is considered a formal tie is inappropriate. And the pictures on the links are not a proof that I am wrong as in most of the pictures they wear a black tie. I have never criticized a black tie or a formal tie but merely a silver tie which is often associated with a wedding. Considering a silver tie appropriate for a wedding or classic than just for people without style or for those who have followed this misperception in the past.

14. unbelragazzo

Whoops it looks like if you link to something you searched for in google images it just links to the search page. Here are the pictures I meant, these would all be considered "wedding ties":

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. unbelragazzo

As for the difference between solid silver and the patterned ones, I agree with Manton:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012