• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Websites for cool clothes

Lydia

Reaction score
This stuff is too tame.

If you want more clothing like this and far far more outlandish stuff, you must come to China. Here the young men have no fear.

There is stuff exactly like in the pictures, but also leopard print overcoats, red fur collared tee-shirts, super pointy shoes made of reflective plastic, and red and white houndstooth bell-bottom suits.

All made of fabrics that dare not speak their name at this forum and with brands like "Jon Paul Gaultier" or "Big Boss" or just "Versace".

Most people in China deny the existence of homosexuality and our strict rules of taste are not obeyed there, so you are just one of the young dudes when you dress in this stuff.

It makes International Male look like Turnbull and Asser, except it is in a much slimmer cut than either of those or anything you can find in the States.

So if you are interested in starry night print shoes, a rainbow feather boa, or - perhaps more palatable - looking like you walked right off the Dior Homme runway, come to Shanghai and I'll show you the right shops.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"If it's not wu shu, it's crap."

Hey, I used to do Northern Shaolin. And you're right, actually Segal does aikijitsu, not aikido, which is aikijitsu for the kinder, gentler martial artist, and has a philosophy of incapacitating an opponent without harming him, as opposed to aikijitsu, which is pretty much the same philosophy except that it is not inadvisable to break as many bones and tear as many muscles as possible *before* incapacitating him.

Lydia

Reaction score
Oh, the post with the shirt pictures is a joke.

Oltmann

Reaction score
Aikijitsu has the philosophy of incapacitating only opponents who happen to be movie stunt-men who aren't trying to defend themselves, or, if they do fight back, pass out and wet yourself.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aikijitsu has the philosophy of incapacitating only opponents who happen to be movie stunt-men who aren't trying to defend themselves, or, if they do fight back, pass out and wet yourself.

That was a hilarious story. Was it Benny the Jet who took down Segal (who, as well as expanding rapidly around the midsection, has a reputation for treating stuntmen very poorly)? I don't remember the exact details of that little incident.

That being said, Steven Segal, as well as having about 8 inches and 100 pounds on me in addition to a lot more training, does claim to be a Lama (nearly on the same level as the Dalai Lama). And I don't mess with holy men.

Oltmann

Reaction score
It was "Judo" Gene LeBell, who supposedly choked out Segal on the set of a movie. Then Segal said "Bet you can't do it again," so LeBell did it again and Segal wet his pants.

Every time I hear the story, the details change a bit. It sounds like an urban legend, but neither of them have denied it AFAIK.

Also, LeBell is like 80 years old and not that big.

EDIT: I'm not saying I could beat up Segal either...don't want to sound like an Internet Tough Guy.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's right, Gene Lebell. Anyway, I am pretty sure I could run away from Steven pretty easily though. Watch that movie co-starring that other fine actor, Kurt Russell, and you'll see that he runs like a girl.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To drift off even further, Segal is in fact an Aikidoka, who supposedly holds a very high rank in the mainline Aikido faction (note:  other factors than skill can play in one's ranking).  IIRC, he claims to have studied daito-ryu aikijujutsu which is the foundation art for aikido, but that may be like his claims to have freelanced for "some people" who did "some things" in SE Asia.  He's also rumored to demand reciprocity from female actors cast in his movies.

He ran like a girl even back when he was thin and didn't wear the bizzare brocade pseudoChinese coats.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
his claims to have freelanced for "some people" who did "some things" in SE Asia.

I did too, but I really needed the money to get home. And I still have my pride, dammit. Wait. Did I just give too much information? Okay, time to call it a day.

Conclusion: Segal is a super wanker.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey, i studied northern shaolin for a while too. w00t.

<secret NS handshake>

didn't do any "things" for any "people" though...

/andrew - giving segal a run for his money, in the lateral expansion department.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This stuff is too tame.  

If you want more clothing like this and far far more outlandish stuff, you must come to China.  Here the young men have no fear.

There is stuff exactly like in the pictures, but also leopard print overcoats, red fur collared tee-shirts, super pointy shoes made of reflective plastic, and red and white houndstooth bell-bottom suits.  

All made of fabrics that dare not speak their name at this forum and with brands like "Jon Paul Gaultier" or "Big Boss" or just "Versace".  

Most people in China deny the existence of homosexuality and our strict rules of taste are not obeyed there, so you are just one of the young dudes when you dress in this stuff.  

It makes International Male look like Turnbull and Asser, except it is in a much slimmer cut than either of those or anything you can find in the States.  

So if you are interested in starry night print shoes, a rainbow feather boa, or - perhaps more palatable - looking like you walked right off the Dior Homme runway, come to Shanghai and I'll show you the right shops.
Yes, I was in Shanghai, and some of the items were really quite the visual backlash.

homi

Reaction score
ugh, sorry man, those are some of the ugliest shirts ive ever seen.
lookaround.gif

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read an interview with DMX, I forget where, and they asked him what it was like working with Segal. He said that guy was a straight up a$$hole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads