Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Website brainstorming

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Fabienne, Aug 24, 2006.

1. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

i like rss feeds when there's something interesting and new every day. that way i don't have to go to the site just to check it...i just see it on my google home page (for instance).

2. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

Keep it simple. Citibank is an example of what not to do; you're just inundated with options when you first load up the page. Frost Bank does a much better job.

Holy crap, you're right. Citibank's site is AWFUL.

I agree with the majority so far. Getting cutesy is annoying, and Flash sucks. I think about once or twice a year I go to Diesel's website just to see if there's anything interesting that I should look out for once sales start to hit. After about two minutes of Flash-based crap and cutely-named menu links that refuse to hint at where you're going or where you just came from, I close the tab in disgust. I want info, and I want it on my terms, thanks.

Speaking of tabs, I hate websites that don't work correctly in Firefox.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I like flash, but when it's over-used it's really annoying. some sites done in flash are really amazing.

4. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

i hate when i click on a page and my browser is resized for me.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I dislike Dior Homme's website.

I also dislike websites with banner ads, which also slow down the progress of my browser.

6. Fabienne

Fabienne Senior member

Most of the opinions here I share. Kent's site is my idea, simple and to the point. Any thoughts on multilingual sites?

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

It's discreetly flashy.

If I wanted flash, I would have gotten the W111 coupes.[​IMG]

Nah, 1937 540K Spezial-Roadster, now that's flash!

Jon.

8. alflauren

alflauren Senior member

1) Do not resize my browser, in any way, shape, or form.

2) Do not disable right-clicking or bury the links so that they can't be directly accessed. If I want to open a page in another window by right-clicking or holding down shift, don't try and stop me.

3) If you have an insatiable desire to use Flash, at least make it fast and dispense with all of the cutesy transitions. When I'm browsing a clothing site, for example, and have to look at each item one at a time and have to wait for each item to load, I'm not even going to bother.

4) Music is fine. Just make the default position "off."

9. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

...Which is my absolute, number one, I-will-spit-on-your-grave problem with Myspace.

The biggest problem with Flash, even with fast-loading, mostly unobtrusive Flash, is that you usually can't open Flash links in separate tabs (unless there's an add-on I'm missing).

10. briancl

briancl Senior member

DO allow me to middle click to open in a new tab (some sites restrict this)

DON'T use flash. Ever. This will help the middle click problem.

11. RicoItaliano

RicoItaliano Well-Known Member

1) Do not resize my browser, in any way, shape, or form.

2) Do not disable right-clicking or bury the links so that they can't be directly accessed. If I want to open a page in another window by right-clicking or holding down shift, don't try and stop me.

3) If you have an insatiable desire to use Flash, at least make it fast and dispense with all of the cutesy transitions. When I'm browsing a clothing site, for example, and have to look at each item one at a time and have to wait for each item to load, I'm not even going to bother.

I cannot agree with this more, I CAN NOT STAND! Going to a website and getting blown out of my chair. So annoying it is that I have to resist the urge to bend my LCD.

12. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Java menus should be burned. Unfortunately, they are not physical things that could be lit on fire.

Also, I find the trend of "My this, my that" extremely irritating. I think Microsoft started this with "My Documents", and then there was "My Simon" and "My Ebay", My Messages, but the worst is where the page in My Ebay says "I have 1 new message". YOU have 1 new message? Or did you mean that I, the user, have a new message? If you, webpage, have a message, please, go ahead and read it, and then get it off my screen. If I have one, address me properly.

The new McDonald's ads that try to get me to identify with either a billboard or a generic consumer, "I'm Lovin' [sic] it", "My Barista serves .. whatever" "I this, I that" bug the hell out of me as well. I don't care whether that person or that billboard is "Lovin' [sic] it", or whether that person's "barista" serves whatever we're talking about. This trend must be stopped.

Music is bad. Leave it off. Flash is bad, unless it is totally necessary. .GIFs of words (comme Revolve IIRC, where there were like 600 gifs to load with every page) are extremely irritating in any volume. Frames mean I can't read the site in my phone, which is usually fine, but if you can avoid them, then do. Popup windows, if necessary (like for enlarged images) should not position themselves in the upper left. My taskbar is on the left, and they are always half covered. Never resize my browser, ever.

Really, there are so many things I hate about websites that I could probably fill a book. I've learned to get around most of them, but some are truly inexcusable.

For bi/multilingual sites, put the flags of the languages prominently at the top somewhere. It's pretty universal by now to do it that way.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Also, I find the trend of "My this, my that" extremely irritating. I think Microsoft started this with "My Documents", and then there was "My Simon" and "My Ebay", My Messages, but the worst is where the page in My Ebay says "I have 1 new message". YOU have 1 new message? Or did you mean that I, the user, have a new message? If you, webpage, have a message, please, go ahead and read it, and then get it off my screen. If I have one, address me properly.

This new generation of computers are so disrespectful aren't they?

Jon.

14. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That's a good one. No shit it's 'My Documents'. Who else? You know you can use Tweak UI to rename and move those directories?

15. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

That's a good one. No shit it's 'My Documents'. Who else? You know you can use Tweak UI to rename and move those directories?
    Yeah, on my main computer I did all that with regedit. You can also map those pointers to network shares, which has been very helpful in getting users to save stuff onto a server (which has a backup) instead of their own computers. This way, all the MS programs that default to My Docs (even if you never, ever use it) will point to that network share instead. [/nerd]