1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Weber grill worth the extra money?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Achilles_, May 10, 2011.

1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I'm thinking I want to buy new, but if there is no benefit I will buy used.

Is a Weber grill worth the extra money? Brinkmann and Char-Broil are both much cheaper and I could get more grill for the money. Any recommendations/tips are much appreciated!

2. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I have a Weber (Summit 420) and I really like it -- very solid.

I had a Napoleon before that and it was also very good. In my experience, if you pay less, you will buy more often, so in the long run it's probably something of a wash. YYMV

3. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Very much worth it IMO.

I'm replacing my Weber Genesis this summer with a similar model. The current Weber is 12 years old and I've abused it mightily in this period. My buddy (in Omaha turns out LOL) buys whatever is cheap, usually Charbroil, and replaces it every 3 years. Additionally, the cheapo's just don't put out enough heat, especially up north here where try to stretch the grilling season as long as possible.

4. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Thank you fellas!

I think I'll fork out the extra coin for a good Weber. Seems like a good investment.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Thank you fellas!

I think I'll fork out the extra coin for a good Weber. Seems like a good investment.

gas or charcoal? if charcoal, drop the extra $20 to $30 and get the model with the ash catcher. HUGE convenience.

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Gas. Is charcoal that much better though?

7. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

YES, i just bought the newest SE Genesis and its is leauges above everything else I've owned... after going through the replacement grill scenerio every 2-3 years I finally dropped the $$ to get something decent, plus they are amazing with customer service.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Gas. Is charcoal that much better though?

probably not that much. i prefer it, though.

9. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I like gas because I grill year-round and I don't want to be dicking around lighting a fire in the deep freeze of winter ... [​IMG]

10. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

I have the Genesis E 310 and it is worth every penny. Would love to have big green egg or charcoal but just don't have the time or space to put it.

I believe this year they moved the burner controls to the front of the grill on the Genesis line, whereas they were on the top of the right shelf previously. Big improvement in my eyes.

11. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I have a Genesis and I'm a bit disappointed in it. I've owned Webers in the past that have been better. Mine is currently two years old ... the grill grates have rusted out and been replaced once already. The automatic lighter is also dead as a doornail (and lighting using a match is a pain in the ass versus my previous Weber).

12. x26

x26 Senior member

If you only need to Cook for less than 4 people the Weber Q-120 is perfect.
    I have one and I am Thrilled with the Performance.

13. sleekblackroadster

sleekblackroadster Senior member

i got a cheaper char-broil 4 burner stainless grill a few years ago on sale at lowes. it is not the most solid thing in the world but it is plenty nice imo and has nice heavy duty grates. definetely gets the job done and after tons of use i only just now have a single burner to replace. the replacement parts are way cheaper than weber also. a nice cover keeps it looking nice. overall i'd say it was a no-brainer for me for the $200 bucks i paid for it versus over $700 for an equivalent looking weber.

i do own a weber lil smokey for some small-timer charcoal use..

14. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

Say, whatever happened to that fellow; grillin' fool?

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Say, whatever happened to that fellow; grillin' fool?

must've burned out

16. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Yes, I would pay the premium for a Weber. I've had all kinds and the Webers are better built and you can completely rebuild the gas line if you need to and parts are readily available and reasonable.

17. Carlisle Blues

Carlisle Blues Senior member

I have a friend that has had nothing but trouble with Webbers. One blew up while he was using it and the replacement fell apart............[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] I am sure it was him and not the Webber. I have heard nothing but glowing reviews about them.

18. jgold47

jgold47 Senior member

My parents have had the same genisys since 1996, and they use it a lot. I recommend getting a natural gas version and hard wiring it

19. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

They have a new "gold" model with an ash catcher and side-slots to add extra coals after you light the grill. 2 features that are definitely worth the extra money if youre on the edge.

20. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

They have a new "gold" model with an ash catcher and side-slots to add extra coals after you light the grill. 2 features that are definitely worth the extra money if youre on the edge.
    yup, that's exactly what i was talking about. crazy to think about, but to clean the vanilla model, you have to pick the damn thing up over your head and dump it in the garbage. the ash catcher works great. if you really want to get crazy, pick up the rotisserie for it. man! i'm ready for summer. [​IMG] bbq galore price seems out of whack. i picked it up for less than $150 a couple of years ago.