• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Weather & attractions in LA, San Fran and Vegas

Tano

Reaction score
Hi guys, generally how is the weather over on the west coast in early november? I am planning my first trip to the states and want to know what i am in for.

Using google i was told LA min is 54f and max is 73f. Does this mean just a light jumper and long pants? Any chance of snow in San Fran or LA in november?

Usually in the middle of winter it gets down to 45f at night and 70f during the day here in OZ (perth). Which means i dont own any gloves, scarves, thick jumpers etc.

Excuse the ignorance :)

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
San Francicsco got snow this year for the first time in around 20 years. They got about 1/4". It'll be sweater weather.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tano
Using google i was told LA min is 54f and max is 73f.

That's pretty accurate, it's basically 65* year round, sometimes maybe it will get down into the low 50s in the winter, summer will usually be 80s+ if you're inland.

Any chance of snow in San Fran or LA in november?
LOL

Tano

Reaction score
Thats the problem, so much inaccurate information on the net. I really need to ask a local.

Im going to be driving LA->Vegas. Then Vegas to San Fran in November and i was told by some internet user that i cant pass through Yosemite due to snow.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
San Francisco can be pretty much anything at any time, but that is in the beginning of the rainy season. It could, conceivably, be quite warm a few days in November, or it could be miserable.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thats the problem, so much inaccurate information on the net. I really need to ask a local.

Im going to be driving LA->Vegas. Then Vegas to San Fran in November and i was told by some internet user that i cant pass through Yosemite due to snow.

That's a good assumption, although November is right in the closure window.
Tioga Pass Road (and other roads north of Yosemite) are closed from +/- November 1 to +/- June 1. It depends on the weather conditions of course, but once they stop plowing, that's it until spring.

Your best bet is to check this Yosemite road conditions link before your trip. Alternatively, you can always drive from Vegas below the Sierra to Barstow, Bakersfield, Fresno, and then to SF.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In November, 50's at night, mid 60's mostly with a few days in the 70s.

Snow.... LOL.

Tano

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. This is my rough itinerary LA: 1.\tUniversal Studios 2.\tHollywood/Kodak Theatre/Rodeo Drive/Graumann's Chinese Theatre <- 1/2 day max 3.\tDisneyland: 4.\tGetty Institute: 5.\tGriffith Observatory 6.\tBuena Park, the wax museum, Ana Santa shopping centre 7.\tBrea Mall ?, Century city ? 8.\tKnotsberry Farm Is it worth checking out Venice Beach, santa monica or farmers market? Vegas: 1.\tGrand Canyon southern rim 2.\tPremium Outlet Stores 3.\tFashion Show Mall 4.\tHoover Dam 5.\tVegas Shows 6.\tGun Store 7.\tStratosphere 8.\tRed rock canyon 9.\tDeath Valley 10.\tFreemont St at night 11.\tAtomic Testing Museum San Fran: 1.\tAlcatraz 2.\tFisherman's wharf &Pier 39 3.\tGolden Gate 4.\tLombard street 5.\tFort Point 6.\tCiot Tower 7.\tGG park 8. Gilroy Outlet Centre Anything that should be removed from the list or added? Total 21 days in USA.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Instead of Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39, I would hang out around the Embarcadero at the Ferry Building. FW is a bit corny. Lombard Street is nothing special. It's just a postcard. North Beach and Chinatown are a good place to walk through, eat and loiter. They're adjacent so it's a good opportunity to get a more local oriented experience in a couple hours. I would also hike through the Presidio from Sea Cliff along the beach and trail to the Golden Gate Bridge, where you can take the bus back to wherever. That was my favorite part of my vacation.
6a012876920e6b970c01311005d8ca970c-500wi

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The beginning of November in LA is weird. It can be 100 degrees with hot heavy winds at night or it can be cool and misty. The nights are typically cool (not as cool as San Francisco, which is almost a different climate). SF is almost always very cool and windy in November, and the other 11 months of the year as well. Go to Venice Beach to see a crazy slice of California and to see a beautiful sunset. Oh, and chicks in bikinis. Might as well see some hotties, unfortunately you won't see them in SF. This video pretty much covers it Santa Monica is just north of Venice. You can walk there. Instead of Griffith Observatory, I recommend you go to Mullholland Drive. The views are spectacular, especially at dusk when the lights in the city turn on. Terrible camera work in the video, but this is what you get to see. And if you want to go on a very different sightseeing tour which covers the darker side of LA, this is morbidly fascinating. You'll probably remember this better than the other tourist things you'll end up doing. Book tickets a few weeks early if you wish to do this on a weekend, it's less full during the week. http://www.hollywoodtours.us/?event=...l&offerId=2728

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys. This is my rough itinerary
Vegas:
1.\tGrand Canyon southern rim
2.\tPremium Outlet Stores
3.\tFashion Show Mall
4.\tHoover Dam
5.\tVegas Shows
6.\tGun Store
7.\tStratosphere
8.\tRed rock canyon
9.\tDeath Valley
10.\tFreemont St at night
11.\tAtomic Testing Museum
Anything that should be removed from the list or added?

Total 21 days in USA.

No good reason to go to the Strat. It's in a skankier part of the strip too.
Same with Freemont St.

Fashion Show Mall is just another upscale mall although if that's what you're looking for, also consider Crystals at Aria, Ceasar's Forum Shops, Bellagio, and Wynn.

Las Vegas can get cold in November too. Don't assume you'll be getting pool weather.
It's also a long ass drive to/from Grand Canyon.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StephenHero
Lombard Street is nothing special. It's just a postcard.

You are a killjoy. The man is traveling from 10,000 miles away.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gilroy outlets is not worth a visit if you're going to the Vegas outlets, actually Gilroy outlets is not worth a visit period. Also I've heard that the premium outlets in LA is better than the one in Vegas, not sure though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads