• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wearing your collar down is for poor people

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
..it would ruin everything Renee Lacoste was trying to achieve with the polo shirt.
Say that again?
lacoste.jpg
The girl's expression in the photo is a bit weird. She looks like he just stabbed her with a knife.
The current incarnation at Lacoste is as far away from the original company as possible. There was a previous thread about this. Are you going to tell me that picture looks good? And that you would purchase clothes from a company that stabs women?
tounge.gif
Jon.

gregory

Reaction score
Are you going to tell me that picture looks good? And that you would purchase clothes form a company that stabs women? Â
tounge.gif
Jon.
The collar-up looks rather forced, and hence unnatural and hence unclassy. I am glad you didn't take any offense. I was just trying to be funny Â
tounge.gif

Pink22m

Reaction score
My Loro Piana navy pique polo shirt isn't the same after washing it. The collar just doesn't have that stance that it used to.
confused.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is that the Lacoste-Heimlich maneuver?

RamNYC

Reaction score
Reference my post under a different topic:

I grew up wearing ralph lauren, lacoste, and le tigre. I am 20 now and I still love my old and new lacostes. Collars up is the way it has always been at both my yacht club and country club, seriously. When we were little (in the 80s) our parents used to let our collars "take on a life of their own" at the club, half up half down, etc. I get disgusted with the way people have "ghetto-ized" golf shirts.

gregory

Reaction score
Collars up is the way it has always been
RamNYC, would you advise someone who is not white, not rich and who talks ghetto do the same? How would people of your group feel toward such a person who wears his collar up?

RamNYC

Reaction score
Whoever said I'm white? I could be black for all you know. As long as people have class I assume it's okay although it would probably seem a little strange. I can't imagine a white kid from an upscale community wearing triple five soul and all that stuff. People of the upper classes are not about being ostentatious, as a matter of fact that is someone who tries to hard to fit in. Polo, lacoste, etc. is what I wear when just lounging around as well and my friends and I don't really give a crap about how popped our collars are or aren't.

vero_group

Reaction score
Pardon the question but what exactly it means to wear your collar up? Like buttoning your polo collar button without a tie?
And what's a "laxer"?

RamNYC

Reaction score
Hoboken I am not: I am from the Upper East Side and was also raised on Philadelphia's Main Line, in Northside Bryn Mawr.

gregory

Reaction score
Hoboken I am not:  I am from the Upper East Side and was also raised on Philadelphia's Main Line, in Northside Bryn Mawr.
Those are very fine places. I like the Upper East Side.

High_Roller

Reaction score
I've been cracking up at that stupid elitist thread and the anti popped collar club. Especially the 'collar foldage' part.

I though it was just a style. I had no idea that people associate it with wealth and whatnot. Anyways, I've never done it because it looks stupid. It you want a popped collar, buy something with a standup collar. Something where it's actually supposed to look like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics