Wearing your collar down is for poor people

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., May 7, 2004.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

..it would ruin everything Renee Lacoste was trying to achieve with the polo shirt.
    Say that again? [​IMG] The girl's expression in the photo is a bit weird. She looks like he just stabbed her with a knife.
    The current incarnation at Lacoste is as far away from the original company as possible. There was a previous thread about this. Are you going to tell me that picture looks good? And that you would purchase clothes from a company that stabs women? [​IMG] Jon.

2. gregory

gregory Senior member

The collar-up looks rather forced, and hence unnatural and hence unclassy. I am glad you didn't take any offense. I was just trying to be funny  [​IMG]

3. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

My Loro Piana navy pique polo shirt isn't the same after washing it. The collar just doesn't have that stance that it used to. [​IMG]

4. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

Is that the Lacoste-Heimlich maneuver?

5. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

Reference my post under a different topic:

I grew up wearing ralph lauren, lacoste, and le tigre. I am 20 now and I still love my old and new lacostes. Collars up is the way it has always been at both my yacht club and country club, seriously. When we were little (in the 80s) our parents used to let our collars "take on a life of their own" at the club, half up half down, etc. I get disgusted with the way people have "ghetto-ized" golf shirts.

6. gregory

gregory Senior member

RamNYC, would you advise someone who is not white, not rich and who talks ghetto do the same? How would people of your group feel toward such a person who wears his collar up?

7. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

Whoever said I'm white? I could be black for all you know. As long as people have class I assume it's okay although it would probably seem a little strange. I can't imagine a white kid from an upscale community wearing triple five soul and all that stuff. People of the upper classes are not about being ostentatious, as a matter of fact that is someone who tries to hard to fit in. Polo, lacoste, etc. is what I wear when just lounging around as well and my friends and I don't really give a crap about how popped our collars are or aren't.

8. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

And by the way, I am white.

9. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

And what's a "laxer"?

10. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Lax is the abbreviation for Lacrosse, so it's a lacrosse player.

11. RamNYC

RamNYC Active Member

Hoboken I am not: I am from the Upper East Side and was also raised on Philadelphia's Main Line, in Northside Bryn Mawr.

12. gregory

gregory Senior member

Those are very fine places. I like the Upper East Side.

13. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

I flipped directly to the last page: http://www.yaletoday.com/fusetal....id=3471 These guys are insulting each other over what size polo shirt they wear, it's hilarious. And a little bit sad. But mostly hilarious.
    Hee hee.

14. gregory

gregory Senior member

15. High_Roller

High_Roller Senior member

I've been cracking up at that stupid elitist thread and the anti popped collar club. Especially the 'collar foldage' part.

I though it was just a style. I had no idea that people associate it with wealth and whatnot. Anyways, I've never done it because it looks stupid. It you want a popped collar, buy something with a standup collar. Something where it's actually supposed to look like that.