1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Wearing your collar down is for poor people

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mike C., May 7, 2004.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Distinguished Member

I think this article settles the question of whether or not to pop your collar. Read it here Gotta love the elitism.

2. gregory

gregory Senior Member

The first time I wore my pink twill (Hermes-like) Jantzen shirt with cutaway collars, too many people stared at it. One friend even remarked, "Hey, let's go beat those guys up, me and you with your pink shirt". I don't think I'm going to buy pink polos (and flip them up) any time soon. Molloy claims that women prefer dark colored polos on men (navy etc).

I hate to admit it, but this is how life operates in certain circles. I remember, during a conference in Switzerland, this college kid was boasting about his exploits with the daughter of some senior executive of Phillip Morris (CEO? can't remember...)

He looked and talked the part too.
    I know this sounds stupid, but it is kind of exciting to live hideously immoral lives when you're also super rich (ala Sebastian in Cruel Intentions).

The upper class does exist, and some of them really aren't that different from Sebastian or Oliver.

Sometimes I think the whole non-profit, volunteering, community service world was invented to divert the attention and occupy the minds of those who don't know better.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I like that thread. It proves once and for all that people do indeed get more intelligent as they get older. Either that, or they become I-bankers, financial consultants, or the chairman of a trust fund.

4. FCS

FCS Senior Member

Pardon the question but what exactly it means to wear your collar up? Like buttoning your polo collar button without a tie?

5. gregory

gregory Senior Member

I believe the reference is to golf shirts (Lacoste, etc). Instead of letting the collar rest on your shoulders, you flip the collar up so that it stands.

6. BjornH

BjornH Senior Member

This must be an american trend - I've never noticed this in Europe. Polo shirts are not that common here anyway but it's nice to know that this carries those overtones of superiority.

B

7. gregory

gregory Senior Member

We've had this conversation before but it really depends who is doing it. Some people really can't pull it off.

8. fareau

fareau Senior Member

I think my favorite quote from that thread was, "when the collar pops, the panties drop". How precious.........and these Nancy boys fancy themselves as the "socially elite". It's enough to make you yearn for the hammer and sickle; well, OK, not quite.

9. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

We've got here in the U.K. a (minor) television presenter Ben Fogle: http://www.benfogle.com/ when he first appeared on our screens in a reality show (on a remote Scottish island), he could not leave a collar unturned that I nicknamed him once "the Knight of the turned-up Collar". He also talks very posh; there might be a connection. He has now stopped turning up his collar, maybe TV executives have demanded it; alas he still talks posh.

10. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Distinguished Member

Collars up or down, do what you can to get some honey ...

11. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

OK, when I was in high school during the preppy craze of the early '80s, I admit to wearing my collars up on a regular basis. Sometimes even wearing two IZods at once, with both collars up. These days... there's actually one time I still do wear it up: to keep the back of my neck from getting sunburned. If I happen to be outside for an extended period of time in the sun and don't have ready access to sun lotion, I'll feel no shame in putting up my collar. It's not for style, it's for, ah, health reasons. When I come back inside, I always flip the collar back down.

12. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Seeing as this is a style forum after all, lets look at this first from a style perspective. The collar popped up does not look good (yes, I know that's a personal distinction), many some people can pull it off, but being able to pull something off hardly makes it good.
    The reason the lapels on a jacket / suit look good either up or down, is because the jacket was designed to be worn either down, in standard situations, or up if the weather takes a turn for the worse. Polo shirt collars were not designed to pop-up, nay they were designed to stay down.

Regarding the troglodytes on that particular forum, whilst barring the poster whom made the stupendous comment "I dismiss your bitter plebian banter as mere jealous rage. I'm better than you and my clothing should reflect that. Kiss my purple label ass." The posters are obviously of the lower upper middle (many time upper middle, even if they hide it at all costs) class. The aforementioned class of people believe that (for the most part, and most of them) money is the circle of life, it is both the means and the end, while most people see it as the means to an end. Many of them see Yale as a means to make money, and they will spend the money on Yale so they can make even more money, so they can find ways to make even more money (greed without end).

Erudition and money are only connected in whereas money can help purchase a better education, better books; you can travel to Athens and see the Parthenon, rather than just read about it in a book. But that is where the connection ends and the distinction begins. All the self-made billionaires did not come from the aforementioned families. Your Ralph Lauren's, Bill Gates, and Larry Ellison's of the world did not come from industrialist families, it's Bill Gates, not Bill Vanderbilt. Money might bring power and privilege, but it does not bring intelligence (not to start a political thread, but being non-partisan for a second: Look at G.W. Bush jr., is that anyone's definition of intelligence?) nor does it bring style. I am wearing a Polo shirt today (white custom-fit pink pony), and I can say before God, and as an honest man, I tell you that wearing my polo up would not only ruin the look, but also it would ruin everything Renee Lacoste was trying to achieve with the polo shirt.

Jon.

13. gregory

gregory Senior Member

Didn't Aunt Martha tell you? Intelligence is consolation for the poor. Given the choice of being ultra-rich or intelligent, I pick rich. Rich and immoral - that's the way to go. I'm sounding like Sebastian already. Â [​IMG]

14. gregory

gregory Senior Member

Say that again? [​IMG] The girl's expression in the photo is a bit weird. She looks like he just stabbed her with a knife.

15. imageWIS

imageWIS Stylish Dinosaur

Ah, but the trick is to use your intelligence to make money. The proper application of intelligence is one of the signs of intelligence itself. Is it better to be brought into the world having $500 million in the bank? Most definitely. But that is not the test; it does not give meaning to life. What gives meaning to life is if you can accomplish to have $500 million all on your own, and believe me, the experience of getting there will make you proud as a person, and give you something no one who was born into money can have: a sense of accomplishment. Even if you take the Crown of England as an example (or any other world royalty for that matter), they are only there because of their ancestors. When one of their ancestors usurped power from the reigning royal dynasty and setup their own, they still felt achievement, whilst a current royal, would not, could not sense that same feeling. Driving your newly purchased Ferrari, which was bought with the interest, of the interest, of the interest, of money that was made during the time of the colonies in the "new world", is not an accomplishment. Buying the Ferrari after working for a few years, saving, working hard and jumping up the corporate ladder as fast as you can to make a comfortable salary, that is accomplishment. Did you ever see the program they had on HBO (I can't recall the name) about the truly ultra-rich kids? Well, the interesting thing was not seeing them, but seeing their parents, one of the parents spent all day painting. What kind of life is that? I know many people who have trust funds and have no need to work, but do so anyways because it not only fills the void in their life (what are you going to do everyday, if not work?), but also they receive a sense of accomplishment. Jon.