• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wearing wrong shoe size all this while?

T900

Reaction score
Have been wearing US 8.5 EEE.
Even though I have been suscipious about the width (thought i mighe be able to fit in an E), I always thought that my length is a 8.5.

Tried on a brannock device today.
- Heel to toe : 9
- heal to ball: 10
- width: C on one foot, and C/ D on the other.

So that would mean i am a 10C?
Does this sound even logical given that I fit so well in a 8.5? I have to confess that my pair of C&J size 8.5 (US 9), and width EE (special made, i learnt) is loose on at the heel but tight at the front.
Also, i get foot ache walking in those. Makes me think that i should size up on length wise and narrow down on width...

corskc

Reaction score
Sometimes sizing is meaningless, when compared from last to last.

I wear a 9G on one particular last, but would need to scale down to 9F on another.
If the foot hurts, then definitely its a shoe size problem.... and for marginal cases, look at the way the shoe creases (I'm guessing on this one)????

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often have to try shoes before I buy them, and my measured foot size doesn't match the actual size of shoe that I wear. When I've had my feet measured, I come out as a UK 8-8.5 in a E or normal with. However, shoes in the size range are often much too tight around the front of my foot, and I usually settle for a UK 9 E... I wouldn't worry too much about it. So long as the shoe fits...

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T900
Have been wearing US 8.5 EEE.
Even though I have been suscipious about the width (thought i mighe be able to fit in an E), I always thought that my length is a 8.5.

Tried on a brannock device today.
- Heel to toe : 9
- heal to ball: 10
- width: C on one foot, and C/ D on the other.

So that would mean i am a 10C?
Does this sound even logical given that I fit so well in a 8.5? I have to confess that my pair of C&J size 8.5 (US 9), and width EE (special made, i learnt) is loose on at the heel but tight at the front.
Also, i get foot ache walking in those. Makes me think that i should size up on length wise and narrow down on width...

If it fits and dont have much space at the heel and your toes arent gnarled up, you are fine.

While taking measurements for MTO shoes, I was told my size is at least 1 and a half size smaller.
While that may be true for MTO shoes, I know I cant wear that for RTW shoes.
I mean my present size fits me to a T and after some time, I would have some space at the heel which is still fine.
Narrowing down on width is a killer. Can make a grown man cry.

beasty

Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
I often have to try shoes before I buy them, and my measured foot size doesn't match the actual size of shoe that I wear. When I've had my feet measured, I come out as a UK 8-8.5 in a E or normal with. However, shoes in the size range are often much too tight around the front of my foot, and I usually settle for a UK 9 E... I wouldn't worry too much about it. So long as the shoe fits...

Yup! Exact experience here. When they told me the same thing. I question their competence because aint no way I can wear a smaller size shoes because it would end up with my toes hitting the toe cap all the time or the sides of my toes being squeezed like **** in a smallish bra!

I have a shoe of that size and I have to spend money to have it expanded and it still hurts a bit.

debsc23

Reaction score
It definitely sounds as though you are wearing the wrong size. Unfortunately every style of last has a different fit so it's difficult to always know what size you are without trying shoes on - some you may be an 8.5 and some a 9.

The most important measurements for overall fit are from the heel to the instep and the heel to the joint of your foot (the widest part across the toe joints).

Your heel should not be lifting out and still be snug on the instep - this means that the instep measure is too small and the heel to joint/instep measure too long.

The length from the joint forward should obviously allow room for your toes, but otherwise size will be decided by the shape of the toe - the flatter the toe box and more pointy the toe shape, the larger the size you will need to allow room for your toes. (The toe box is the depth of the shoe at the toes).

When you are trying on a pair of shoes if they slip at the heel do not buy them - this will drive you mad, causes blisters and encourages your toes to scrunch up to grip the shoes on (which will tire your feet out and could lead to hammer toes). The fit around the top edge of the shoe should be snug - preferably with the facings (where the laces cross) parallel together rather than in a 'v' - there should be room for all of your toes in the toe box and your foot joint and the joint of the shoe should be in the same place. The shoes should then crease naturally behind your toes as you walk, without digging into your foot. Either too tight or too loose and they will dig in.

If in doubt you could always go bespoke - it's well worth the investment in the long term! Happy shopping and take care of those feet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads